News Walt Disney World plans to close its food trucks including locations at Disney Springs

fotofx

Disney Springs is like a place in Disney where a number of businesses and staff are not affiliated with Disney. One aspect that saves $$ for Disney is not putting these folks on the payroll and if they get hurt on the job and workers compensation claims kick in, it is not going to come out of Disney's profits. Third party vendors are the ones responsible for their staff.
One employee clerical coordinator and each truck pays a set fee AND a cut of the sales. It is a Win Win for Disney.

Tay

I thought the idea of food trucks was great, but never used one. Too far out of the way. And when I go to DS, I usually have a reservation somewhere. If they parked them outside MK or DHS, I may have used them. The eggroll cart is my favorite restaurant at MK.
Random but last time I went to MK and was near that cart, someone just came up on their last day to get one and they just dumped them in the trash. I thought they donated the leftover food? Anyway, I think that would’ve been a great food truck.

Seems like they’re relocating those workers & having third party food trucks rent the space.

Epcot82Guy

There are a lot of food trucks here in Orlando, many of which are now going brick and mortar. I'm ok giving some of those local vendors a chance to showcase at WDW. Assuming they aren't charging an inappropriate fee for the privilege.

Lilofan

There are a lot of food trucks here in Orlando, many of which are now going brick and mortar. I'm ok giving some of those local vendors a chance to showcase at WDW. Assuming they aren't charging an inappropriate fee for the privilege.
If a Venezuela arepa food truck ever showed up at WDW, my money would be going to support that !

castlecake2.0

Random but last time I went to MK and was near that cart, someone just came up on their last day to get one and they just dumped them in the trash. I thought they donated the leftover food? Anyway, I think that would’ve been a great food truck.

Seems like they’re relocating those workers & having third party food trucks rent the space.
It was probably past it’s hold time and no longer safe to eat. Most expired food is still separated and used for bio fuel.

LSLS

"Although Disney food trucks will be phased out, sources suggest that more third-party trucks will be introduced in their place."

I'll believe it when I see it
I disagree. I'd assume there is some fee associated with a 3rd party bringing trucks in, and the cost is virtually none to Disney to give them some space that would otherwise be empty. It's easy money to just contract those out.

tcool123

If a Venezuela arepa food truck ever showed up at WDW, my money would be going to support that !
Kingdom Food foodtruck serves up my favorite Venezeualan arepas/tequenos that I've had in the Orlando area so far, here's hoping it's them if the do go in that direction!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Makes sense to me. Replace an expense with a tenant.
What? O&O food trucks weren't just an "expense," they were also a revenue stream.

So you're replacing a revenue stream and an expense with a smaller revenue stream.

If the food trucks weren't viable to Disney, I'm not sure why they'd be viable being run by a third party.

BlakeW39

I disagree. I'd assume there is some fee associated with a 3rd party bringing trucks in, and the cost is virtually none to Disney to give them some space that would otherwise be empty. It's easy money to just contract those out.

what do you disagree with? I didn't say it wasn't going to happen, I just said I'm taking whatever these 'sources' say with a grain of salt. in the end, it could be true or not true. and I can't say that I care I whole lot, to be honest— too much to eat at springs I have never even gotten around to trying the food trucks, and I probably won't if they come back either

LSLS

what do you disagree with? I didn't say it wasn't going to happen, I just said I'm taking whatever these 'sources' say with a grain of salt. in the end, it could be true or not true. and I can't say that I care I whole lot, to be honest— too much to eat at springs I have never even gotten around to trying the food trucks, and I probably won't if they come back either
Oh, I took your statement to mean that they wouldn't use third party at all, but either way, I fully think they'd have third party ones in there. I think that makes the most sense for where Disney is at. That area just becomes open space for guests, and that means there's no revenue being created off it.

asianway

Some of the trucks may be nearing they age the need new equipment etc and capex is probably at a premium at the moment

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
What? O&O food trucks weren't just an "expense," they were also a revenue stream.

So you're replacing a revenue stream and an expense with a smaller revenue stream.

If the food trucks weren't viable to Disney, I'm not sure why they'd be viable being run by a third party.
Substitute the costs of staff, utilities, and materials and the F&B income (all of which can vary) with rent (that doesn't vary) and a percentage off the top (which does vary).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Substitute the costs of staff, utilities, and materials and the F&B income (all of which can vary) with rent (that doesn't vary) and a percentage off the top (which does vary).
The vendor would still have all of those costs.

If Revenue minus Opex wasn't enough for Disney to be profitable, then why would Revenue minus Opex minus Rent paid to Disney be enough for some third party vendor?

Obviously I understand why DISNEY would like this arrangement, but for the tennant, if a food truck isn't viable in that location then it isn't viable in that location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom