News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

asianway

Am I missing something with the $2500? Double occupancy for a room is closer to $5000. So you'd have $182M as your floor for revenue if 100% occupancy was met every voyage. You'd might get to $200M with other purchases onboard.
I’d say $$5500 is a good average per cabin

TrainsOfDisney

I don't really understand this within the company, WDI should work with WDAS/Pixar/Lucasfilm/Marvel/Etc while projects are in production to get a move on projects for the parks if they're going to keep this IP integration machine up.
It worked this way in the 1990’s under Eisner…. Tough to be a Bug was written by Kevin Rafferty (WDI) while it was still being developed by Pixar so it could open with DAK the same year it was released.

jinx8402

I assumed $5000 for 2 persons, two nights. So $2500 per night per room.
That is only for the cheapest room. You are forgetting about the suite (not sure on the pricing) and grand captain suites that are almost 12k for two nights. Admittedly the majority of rooms are likeley the standard 5 person sleeper.

Then there's the fact that that is based on likely the cheapest week. There is a reason they picked that week for their example price.

That is not to say they doubled or tripled your calculated number, but just that that number was not really the max revenue they could have made.

some other guy

Please tell me that the Yuuzhan Vong sacked it, loaded it full of captured space-yuppies, and sent it crashing into a Star as a sacrifice to their pantheon of gods.

57dbp3s03ek81.jpg
the Vong invade Disney World, see all the Audio-Animatronics, have a collective stroke, and collectively keel over
don't even need the army of Landobots

dreamfinder912

I feel like it is definitely that but not just the rooms... There would need to be a luxury wing to the hotel...an indoor Space Pool and recreation center. People need down time in Space too..It can't be about shooting lasers and light saber play the entire time.....
The main lobby and atrium needed to be more beautiful, larger, loftier spaces to overcome the perpetual night that the guests find themselves in while in the hotel... If the back story is this was a grand cruising ship, then it should not look like a cargo ship...it should have luxe accommodations...it should be a WOW! the second the shuttle doors open... not ...Oh...ok..... Between the videos we saw of the final product and the reviews, we said no way... A large part of that was based on what we all saw...when the "set" for this Star Wars Hotel is that underwhelming, why would we pay those prices to stay in a windowless box?

You and I are saying the exact same thing from opposite ends. I got on a fourth cruise this September with friends I made on other cruises. And we're all just dumbfounded at the amount of people treating the Batuu excursion portion as their entire DHS day for their vacation. So in that way they view Starcruiser as a hotel and in that way I totally 100% get the issue. It is not a hotel. There is no pool, there is no gym, and you for sure don't have a balcony.

That's where the main issue is for me in all this. I've said before no one should be thinking of or using Starcruiser as a hotel. It's an adventure, it's chaos, I don't think I get more than 6 hrs of sleep total, it's a whole unique thing. But since Disney was so dreadfully bad at showing people hey this isn't just a star warsy thing you sleep and eat in before going on slinky dog, people are justifiably upset at the pricing. For what it actually is, you'd never have time for the pool and you're far too exhausted for the gym. What you lack in traditional hotel amenities you gain 10x in the experience of it all.

Bleed0range

I’ve been thinking about where the true failure of this thing lies. They talked about this on a Star Wars podcast I listen to. Rebel Force Radio. Although the price was ridiculous… I think the biggest failure is that it doesn’t actually capture the feeling of Star Wars very well at all.

From the design perspective, it looks more like Star Trek or some nondescript sci Fi show than it does something we have actually seen in Star Wars. Rise makes you feel like you’re on a star destroyer, the first order and the empire ships look similar enough it gets the feeling across. This doesn’t evoke that same feeling. You aren’t boarding a star destroyer or the Millenium Falcon. You’re on a freaking cruise ship?

And with all the great music John Williams has written this Gaya character sings bad show tunes? It captures none of the actual spirit of the films.

I believe if the experience captured the actual feelings of the movies with aesthetics that we recognize it might have resulted in more people coughing up the money because it’s a can’t miss experience.

Honestly, it gives off holiday special vibes at times. Especially with Gaya.

Nubs70

The short day trip plans for a meal / drink / shopping experience made sense, but then what about all those unused hotel rooms? Obviously it would be time for Disney to finally explore the wonderful world of "by-the-hour" room rentals. ;)
Seriously, the special room rental option would sell.
1. Fits the existing back story of the Han and Leia honeymoon.
2. Book rooms in 3 hour increments. Pushes effective room count to 800. Although not practical when considering turn over time. But still could increase effective room count to 400.
3. Fits the syrategy of selling parks multiple times a day.- why not sell rooms multiple times a day?

Incomudro

Seriously, the special room rental option would sell.
1. Fits the existing back story of the Han and Leia honeymoon.
2. Book rooms in 3 hour increments. Pushes effective room count to 800. Although not practical when considering turn over time. But still could increase effective room count to 400.
3. Fits the syrategy of selling parks multiple times a day.- why not sell rooms multiple times a day?
The Star Wars - No Tell Motel.

twilight mitsuk

I’ve been thinking about where the true failure of this thing lies. They talked about this on a Star Wars podcast I listen to. Rebel Force Radio. Although the price was ridiculous… I think the biggest failure is that it doesn’t actually capture the feeling of Star Wars very well at all.

From the design perspective, it looks more like Star Trek or some nondescript sci Fi show than it does something we have actually seen in Star Wars. Rise makes you feel like you’re on a star destroyer, the first order and the empire ships look similar enough it gets the feeling across. This doesn’t evoke that same feeling. You aren’t boarding a star destroyer or the Millenium Falcon. You’re on a freaking cruise ship?

And with all the great music John Williams has written this Gaya character sings bad show tunes? It captures none of the actual spirit of the films.

I believe if the experience captured the actual feelings of the movies with aesthetics that we recognize it might have resulted in more people coughing up the money because it’s a can’t miss experience.

Honestly, it gives off holiday special vibes at times. Especially with Gaya.
Like fhloston paradise

lewisc

Have you heard the term hourly rate? Why have a 3 hour minimum?

erasure fan1

I listened to that episode as well. I agree, it didn't feel like star wars. I said when the first videos showed up it felt like they were trying to imitate star wars. It just failed on so many different levels.
From the design perspective, it looks more like Star Trek or some nondescript sci Fi show than it does something we have actually seen in Star Wars.
The real failure, or root of the failure, in my eyes, is Disneys hubris. The star cruiser didn't give that ultimate star wars vibe because Disney said this is OUR star wars. If you don't like it, we don't care. They were counting on this new generation of fans to carry the torch of fandom. Turns out they don't care, or more importantly, won't spend that kind of cash on Disney star wars. They should have rethought the whole thing when people had little desire to run to galaxys edge when it opened.

Nubs70

Have you heard the term hourly rate? Why have a 3 hour minimum?
You wouldn't want it to be too obvious. From a marketing perspective, a little more upscale than I Drive. 3 hours + 1 hour cleanup/turnover. Might be a little low brow to jump into warm bed sheets 🤔

OceanBlue

I listened to that episode as well. I agree, it didn't feel like star wars. I said when the first videos showed up it felt like they were trying to imitate star wars. It just failed on so many different levels.

The real failure, or root of the failure, in my eyes, is Disneys hubris. The star cruiser didn't give that ultimate star wars vibe because Disney said this is OUR star wars. If you don't like it, we don't care. They were counting on this new generation of fans to carry the torch of fandom. Turns out they don't care, or more importantly, won't spend that kind of cash on Disney star wars. They should have rethought the whole thing when people had little desire to run to galaxys edge when it opened.
Have you been?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom