News Disney's theme park no-fly-zones may be at risk from new legislation

TP2000

Already lots of good points in this thread for both sides of this issue, of which I'm still considering.

And heavy duty civilian drones bought on Amazon that can fly 20 miles with a decent payload weren't a real option in 2002.

But I will say this, I remember pre 9/11 when Disneyland would almost always have a flying banner or two above it for the local Toyota dealership or a local pizza chain or something. Those were so tacky! :depressed:

But on the flip side, somehow I never minded when the Goodyear Blimp would do a few circles around Disneyland in the early evening on its way to Angel Stadium for the night. I thought that was far classier and classic Americana, just like Disneyland. It helped that Goodyear was a longtime sponsor of Disneyland's PeopleMover, and Tomorrowland had planters and benches in the shape of the Goodyear logo. Pre 9/11 the Goodyear Blimp was allowed to be much closer to the ground, but now it's much higher. It still will travel past Disneyland on its way to Angel Stadium, but it doesn't circle the park any more and it's so high in the sky it's all rather pointless.

TP2000 Official Opinion:
Flying Banners For Car Dealerships = Bad & Tacky
Goodyear Blimp = Fun & Festive

lazyboy97o

One incident may involve a drone filled with ( fill in the blank ) to strike intended target.
A drone doesn’t have a conscious. It’s not going to object to flying where it’s not supposed to fly. Even if it has software limitations, those are not universal, absolute or free from being worked around.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
See my post above. How does the no fly zone prevent a potential terrorist attack?

Kissimmee Gateway Airport is 12 miles SSE of MK. How hard do you think it would be for somebody to approach the airport and make a turn straight for WDW? By the time anybody noticed the plane was off course it would be hitting the target.

Nobody is any safer or less safe from a terrorist attack at WDW with or without a no-fly zone. You could argue some extremely small additional risk of an accident occurring and a plane or helicopter crashing into a crowd without the no-fly zone just based on the fact that there will be more aircraft flying overhead.
You are forgetting about the Nike AA missile battery on top of Cinderella's castle. :hilarious:

DisneyCane

One incident may involve a drone filled with ( fill in the blank ) to strike intended target.
If someone had a drone capable of lifting enough weight what difference would it make if there is a no fly zone? They could launch it from somewhere on property and hit a target before anyone would have time to report it.

DisAl

See my post above. How does the no fly zone prevent a potential terrorist attack?

Kissimmee Gateway Airport is 12 miles SSE of MK. How hard do you think it would be for somebody to approach the airport and make a turn straight for WDW? By the time anybody noticed the plane was off course it would be hitting the target.

Nobody is any safer or less safe from a terrorist attack at WDW with or without a no-fly zone. You could argue some extremely small additional risk of an accident occurring and a plane or helicopter crashing into a crowd without the no-fly zone just based on the fact that there will be more aircraft flying overhead.
I agree with you. By the time you recognize the problem it is already too late to do anything about it.
I would be more concerned about collisions between the annoying banner towing aircraft and the mosquito cloud of helicopter tours than terrorists.

DisneyCane

I agree with you. By the time you recognize the problem it is already too late to do anything about it.
I would be more concerned about collisions between the annoying banner towing aircraft and the mosquito cloud of helicopter tours than terrorists.
It's definitely the bigger risk but still probably not a big risk. Pilots are well trained and if they collide with another aircraft they usually end up dead so they don't get careless around other aircraft. I can't think of a banner plane collision at a major sporting event and they circle around those all the time.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Well that is the story they told.......

That's what they want you to think maaaaaaaan

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

JoeCamel

That's what they want you to think maaaaaaaan

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
You ever been in a de-commissioned nike site? It's cool to drop into the silos if no water and spooky to see the remains. I did 50 years ago, probably couldn't today, it was complete with an old runway you could go way fast on......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom