News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

JohnD

Mermaid is not a disappointing ride because it is a book report, it is a disappointing ride because it is a sing along that does not even do that well and focuses attention on a very select few things that almost seem out of context.

Peter Pan is a book report ride and is famous to this day.

While book report attractions tend to be less exciting or enthralling, people take that Baxter dish on it a bit as if it should always be a bad thing.
Here's another reason TBA isn't a book report of PatF. She's a frog during most of the movie, hence the setting post PatF. I agree a lot of us, including me, were concerned about the salt mine/CO-OP/finding ingredient storyline. But with the focus now about rounding up critters to complete a band while floating around the bayou is giving me more hope. I won't, however, be the prognosticator of doom before it opens as some around here are determined to do.

In the Parks
No
I won't, however, be the prognosticator of doom before it opens as some around here are determined to do.
Only sharing my opinion of what we've heard/seen so far. I leave prognosticating to the groundhogs.

a3eac815-6723-45e1-91ca-a4b962b4431d_text.gif

Punxsutawney Phil is actually a distant relative of Mahalia the Beaver!

mickEblu

Mermaid is not a disappointing ride because it is a book report, it is a disappointing ride because it is a sing along that does not even do that well and focuses attention on a very select few things that almost seem out of context.

While book report attractions tend to be less exciting or enthralling, people take that Baxter dish on it a bit as if it should always be a bad thing.

The Book Report is bad thing really took off in the last few years. The term definitely has a negative connotation and I think some of that stems from a Tony Baxter interview where he called Little Mermaid a book report ride. Book report rides aren’t inherently bad. It comes down to execution. Like you said Pan is good. TLM is bad. One we feel like we are part of the adventure. The other we are watching the highlights of the movie on a moving vehicle. Moving around every set and never through any which just reinforces the feeling that we are only watching a movie. We're not really there.

Would TBA be a guaranteed hit if they followed the source material more closely? No. Does the source material have all the right ingredients to make for a fun, rich and well rounded attraction? Yes. Much more so than what it seems we’re getting with TBA and much more than anything based on Frozen. Which I don’t think is great source material for a ride. Especially if you go the route they went in Tokyo.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The issue may be D/E ticket book reports vs. a C ticket book report. Peter Pan is short and essentially just a collection of scenes from the film; while I understand why people call it a book report (although I'm not sure I agree), there's not really a story to follow if you aren't already familiar with the material. Frozen Journey, on the other hand, is apparently trying to retell the full plot of the movie from A to Z.

The former approach feels like it works much better than the latter for an attraction.

Last edited:

mickEblu

The issue may be D/E ticket book reports vs. a C ticket book report. Peter Pan is short and essentially just a set of scenes from the film; while I understand why people call it a book report, I'm not sure there's really a story to follow if you aren't already familiar with the material. Frozen Journey, on the other hand, is apparently trying to retell the full plot of the movie from A to Z.

The former approach feels like it works much better for an attraction than the latter.

It’s definitely much less of a book report than Frozen at Tokyo. That might be the new poster child for Book Report rides.

SilentWindODoom

The Book Report is bad thing really took off in the last few years. The term definitely has a negative connotation and I think some of that stems from a Tony Baxter interview where he called Little Mermaid a book report ride. Book report rides aren’t inherently bad. It comes down to execution. Like you said Pan is good. TLM is bad. One we feel like we are part of the adventure. The other we are watching the highlights of the movie on a moving vehicle. Moving around every set and never through any which just reinforces the feeling that we are only watching a movie. We're not really there.

Would TBA be a guaranteed hit if they followed the source material more closely? No. Does the source material have all the right ingredients to make for a fun, rich and well rounded attraction? Yes. Much more so than what it seems we’re getting with TBA and much more than anything based on Frozen. Which I don’t think is great source material for a ride. Especially if you go the route they went in Tokyo.

People dislike book report rides? But they can be so charming. Honestly, I'd love if this ride was a book report. As I mention below, I love the soundtrack and EVERYONE has talked about how great it would be to see Facilier. Unfortunately, it's not possible. With the stupid bad-faith complaints about the whole frog thing, they could never do it without pulling the old Snow White's Adventures trick, and then those same people would complain about taking the black princess out of her own ride.

In the end, I would love nothing more than to have all those things, but I understand that the circumstances don't allow it, so I don't ask for the impossible. And I don't hold the impossible against what we're getting, which looks like it can be wonderful in its own right. That's not specifically a response to you, but an overall declaration of my stance on the whole project and the things we see. Why I'm not a negative mancy.

Mermaid doesn't fail to me because of the book report nature *or* the journey past the story rather than through as you suggest. It's the cheapness of it all. So many fish figures with no motion whatsover. The moving figures being moved with clearly-visible large pieces of plastic. The drummer being at eye-level rather than above or any angle that would make it look halfway like he's anywhere near touching the drums. The clear repeat of the figures from Under the Sea in the end above the surface. It was the first dark ride in what felt like forever with a huge facade in a legendary spot, and what we got was so underwhelming in so many ways, even with the couple impressive animatronics that keep breaking.

I will say, though, that the shoving of the entire climax into a TINY vignette really kills it. One additional scene depicting the sea battle between this and Kiss the Girl would really make the whole thing feel less rushed and paltry.

Wonderful and underrated little song!

Is it underrated? That makes me sad. The original Beauty and the Beast soundtrack may be the best in animated canon. It definitely has a 100% hit rate. I was surprised at the talk of the Princess and the Frog soundtrack earlier, as I consider it the best since 1993. Frozen and Moana had some great hits, but don't have quite the same consistency and variety.

LittleBuford

Is it underrated? That makes me sad.
I suppose I meant it isn’t played much. I can’t recall ever hearing it in the parks, though it was part of the playlist while on hold to shopDisney (perhaps they’ve kept it since their rebranding). Another great song that feels underappreciated to me is “I Won’t Say (I’m in Love)”. With any luck, it’ll be one of the new numbers performed by the Country Bears.

SilentWindODoom

I suppose I meant it isn’t played much. I can’t recall ever hearing it in the parks, though it was part of the playlist while on hold to shopDisney (perhaps they’ve kept it since their rebranding). Another great song that feels underappreciated to me is “I Won’t Say (I’m in Love)”. With any luck, it’ll be one of the new numbers performed by the Country Bears.

In that respect, I can see it. It's not a showstopper. It's sort of transitional. But it is absolutely great.

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
20240503_123125.jpg
20240503_123130.jpg
20240503_123145.jpg
20240503_123159.jpg
20240503_123207.jpg
20240503_123222.jpg
20240503_123224.jpg
20240503_124511.jpg
20240503_125404.jpg
20240503_125545.jpg

Photos from earlier this afternoon. As I shared earlier, tons of final touches are being done with the flora outside, and in the queue. After that, it's done and ready to be revealed to the world. I was going to go back tonight to get more videos, but it's way too hot outside. I know I'll be there multiple days next week, so more updates to come.

Professortango1

I'd say that Mermaid is a dud because of its lack of integration.

For a simple spook-show style darkride like we see in Fantasyland, we ride past scenes pretty quickly, only getting a second or two to understand what is going on. This makes big bold choices key because guests don't have a ton of time to explore scenes. Omnimover attractions move a bit slower and the focus they give to scenes through orientation makes it demanding of more complex scenes. More detailed scenes, more dynamic effects and show scenes. This is where want to feel integrated more into the story, pass through the story rather than on the fringes of it.

By result, Mermaid feels little. The scenes seem smaller, the tone more one-note (this was a preview of where they were heading with Frozen Ever After), and the figures too static and plasticky to be started at for so long. That and a terrible finale.

As for Pan, I would say that the successful portion of the ride is that it isn't a book report ride. It spends almost half the ride-time just soaring above London and Neverland. I think if they had just kept with the idea of flying over and around vistas, it would be far more successful. For myself at least. Once we pass Tiger Lilly, the ride is all downhill and dull for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom