Contemporary $970 RIPOFF

ohioguy

Disney is relying on location and legacy to sell the price for what is basically a lackluster hotel. The recent renovations are comical; the theming to The Incredibles is all wrong. At this level, do they only do housekeeping every other day, as well? One could really make this a super-futuristic hotel experience if the company desired - instead it's stuck in a suspect retro-past of questionable taste and value.

mightynine

I watched that as well. I thought the rooms they featured in blog posts (like the ICs uniforms "hanging" in the closet") had big Rooms To Go Kids energy, but the Edna room is another level of lazy theming. It's not even All-Star level, it looks like a cheap off-site hotel!

I thought after watching - this is club level for people who don't know what club level is, and don't have real world examples to compare to. Like myself, honestly! I wouldn't know what to compare it to, but I do now thanks to this video.

JohnD

So, in September, I got a D+ rate for Contemporary about $370/night in the Garden Wing. Because I didn't specify "close to elevators" I was placed as far away as possible. Never again. I'm glad I had a split stay with AK Lodge. My room there was a short walk to the lobby. I definitely know I wouldn't pay in the $900s.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
So it's important to note that they reviewed the Tower Club (14th Floor) versus the Atrium Club (12th Floor). The Tower club while more exclusive has a more private but smaller lounge. The Atrium Club has a more active but busy lounge. I believe Tower Club guests can access both lounges while Atrium can not. I also believe that the rooms for Atrium club are a bit larger and of a different layout than Tower. Finally, most of the Tower Club level are suites as opposed to standard rooms.

That being said, we stayed at the Atrium Club in 2018 and had a blast. I thought it was one of the better club level lounges.

StarshipDisney

We have stayed Club Level twice at the Contemporary resort. Absolutely loved it. But now that the entire tower is all child rooms, and the price point in this video is right on the mark.

TP2000

I actually thought what was more criminal about that video was when they showed the leftover furniture and decor from the 1990's and 2000's that was still scattered about the place.

Especially the Grand Canyon Concourse that looks like 1998 never ended. Honey Oak and wacky fonts and halogen lighting... my God. :oops:

That Edna Mode room is cheap and tacky and flimsy. The wobbly IKEA pressboard furniture!

The point about audio speakers being available on balconies for the fireworks was a perfect point. The mid-level execs running these hotels don't know the details are missing, or they know but can't tend to the details because they don't have the authority or funds from senior execs. Either way, that's bad. Really bad.

But the common areas of the hotel that still have 1990's updates abandoned upon them... that's what tells me that TDO's senior executive ranks have completely lost it. At best, they are adrift creatively and professionally. At worst, they actually don't know what their own properties look like currently and don't know what they should look like.

Either way, it's a horrible sign that things have gone completely off the rails in TDO. The place is lost.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That Edna Mode room is cheap and tacky and flimsy. The wobbly IKEA pressboard furniture!
Ugh, is it? That's depressing. I had hoped it was just an attempt at the mid-century modern aesthetic but executed with at least passable-quality materials.

That said, I've always sort of hated the Contemporary. It's a big gray concrete trapezoid.

Vis-a-vis whether these club-level rooms are "worth it," their primary value is in letting people with more money than sense feel like they're superior to everyone else, and I think they deliver in that regard.

Why does Disney seem to think people like Edna Mode? Who likes Edna Mode?

One criticism I'll make of the video is when he compares the club level lounge to a "mid-tier airport lounge." The VAST, vast, vast majority of travelers have never set foot in even an entry-level airport lounge. He tips his hand with this point and reveals that he's coming from the perspective of a professional traveler, not an ordinary guest. For most random families, even families who are paying for rooms like this, the idea of any private lounge is something swanky and exclusive. Their airport experience consists of eating Dunkin' Donuts on top of a trash can in the Southwest terminal of T. F. Green, not complimentary amuse-bouche in the Polaris lounge in San Francisco.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
"The Four Seasons has similarly priced rooms" is just a lie. You see it all the time when people talk about the Grand Floridian, and the only thing I can conclude is that nobody has ever bothered to look up what the Four Seasons costs. Because it's not $970, it's $2,807.

1668610662513.png

ppete1975

Ive said for years, that hotel will never be worth a 1000 dollars to me. 1000 should come with champagne, a huge penthouse, a huge gym, a spa, a Michelin steak house, and a personal concierge or personal butler... and shouldnt be at Disney.
Then again people pay it all the time. And Disney charges what it does.

But anywhere else 1000 would get you sooooo much more.
For less than that in Vegas you can get a penthouse (sometimes 2 story) and sometimes with a personal butler.
  • 1300 Square Feet
  • Max Guests 4
  • Butler Service
  • 13-seat Bar
  • Private Dining For 8
  • 65" Television
  • Curated Art
  • Sleeper Sofa
  • Marble Bathroom
  • Deep-soak Tub
  • Powder Room
  • Walk-in Closets
as an example thats a random one i found for 1200 tonight, with no discounts. There are others much cheaper.

Yes thats vegas vs disney.. but it shows how little you get for that price.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ive said for years, that hotel will never be worth a 1000 dollars to me. 1000 should come with champagne, a huge penthouse, a huge gym, a spa, a Michelin steak house, and a personal concierge or personal butler... and shouldnt be at Disney.
Then again people pay it all the time. And Disney charges what it does.

But anywhere else 1000 would get you sooooo much more.
For less than that in Vegas you can get a penthouse (sometimes 2 story) and sometimes with a personal butler.
  • 1300 Square Feet
  • Max Guests 4
  • Butler Service
  • 13-seat Bar
  • Private Dining For 8
  • 65" Television
  • Curated Art
  • Sleeper Sofa
  • Marble Bathroom
  • Deep-soak Tub
  • Powder Room
  • Walk-in Closets
as an example thats a random one i found for 1200 tonight, with no discounts. There are others much cheaper.

Yes thats vegas vs disney.. but it shows how little you get for that price.
The price is all about location. Nothing more really. And I don't see that changing.

surfsupdon

The price is all about location. Nothing more really. And I don't see that changing.
It is true.

Interesting to note, that when Yacht and Beach first opened, those Resorts were at a higher price point than Contemp--as they should have been!! Yacht and Beach were nicer properties with many more amenities. Yacht and Beach have been awarded AAA 5Diamond awards, but I do not think the Contemp has.

But now, the far inferior Contemp commands a much higher price tag than Yacht and Beach because of location next to MK. That is it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom