Price Hikes Galore! (Genie+ variable pricing, ILL, refillable mugs, SWGE lightsaber and droids)

LSLS

I think you are still trying to use attendance as a measure?

Is it true per guest spending is way up?

I'm commenting on you saying there is always someone to come in to pay the prices and replace those that hit their breaking point. I think there are questions now if that is the case. We don't know til we see another year or two of data. And I will say it doesn't have to be the case (1-1 replacements) as long as the current average spent multiplied by attendance is still greater than it used to be. BUT, as attendance decreases, and things get more expensive, I question where that peak might be. I'm sure there are people willing to pay $7 for an ice cream bar but are there enough? If 10 people were paying $5 for that bar, are there still 8 willing to pay that $7? Will 7 pay if it goes to $8.50? That's really the question I'm asking. And of course, how does it factor in if people's friends start telling them "They changed the ice cream, it's gross now." Basically, my point was per guest spending only matters as long as the drop in attendance doesn't trend lower than the amount of price increases.

Disstevefan1

I'm commenting on you saying there is always someone to come in to pay the prices and replace those that hit their breaking point. I think there are questions now if that is the case. We don't know til we see another year or two of data. And I will say it doesn't have to be the case (1-1 replacements) as long as the current average spent multiplied by attendance is still greater than it used to be. BUT, as attendance decreases, and things get more expensive, I question where that peak might be. I'm sure there are people willing to pay $7 for an ice cream bar but are there enough? If 10 people were paying $5 for that bar, are there still 8 willing to pay that $7? Will 7 pay if it goes to $8.50? That's really the question I'm asking. And of course, how does it factor in if people's friends start telling them "They changed the ice cream, it's gross now." Basically, my point was per guest spending only matters as long as the drop in attendance doesn't trend lower than the amount of price increases.
Totally agree. Right now, what they are doing seems to be working.

Time will tell.

I'll be watching from the sidelines. And when I say sidelines, I mean Universal and SeaWorld ;)

lazyboy97o

And what’s better than 7 people willing to spend $8.50? 11 people willing to spend $8.50. Disney has supposedly been pursuing lower visitation for years but has never really acted on it until now. And even then they’re still doing things like adding timeshares.

Joel

I don't buy this "NO! You can't compare two things!!"

Yes, yes we can.

Analogous comparisons aren't airtight logical statements, but they're helpful. If two things are alike in some ways, then the comparison has some worth.

And it's a bit dodgy to dismiss the comparison by saying no one goes to a sports event or a Broadway play for 7 days, when, in fact, people *do* go to a Disney park for one day, making the comparisons more alike.

And not only can one eat outside a Disney park before or after the park, but, you can leave the park midday, which many people do to beat the heat, or for pool time, or for naps. They can eat outside the park during that break. Also, Disney allows you to bring your own food into the park! I'd like to see a major league sports venue allow that. Also, if people don't have the opportunity to eat outside the park, then why on these forums are there so many discussions of DVCs having kitchenettes and people getting grocery orders to the hotel room?

So, this is why I don't buy the "You can't compare the two!!!" response. There are indeed helpful comparisons to be made when you don't box in one of two things being compared into a worst case scenario to avoid the comparison.
Can you compare them? Yes, of course. Clearly you have demonstrated that.

May you? Absolutely not!

BuddyThomas

I remember the old days on here when all the rich people kept posting about how Disney should raise their prices as high as possible so the crowds would be lower, basically saying without actually saying it that lower income people should not be able to attend, and should just be happy to play in the dirt outside the gates instead. I hope all those people are happy now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom