News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
With how they do it with the lockers and metal detectors now, I think we should be ok. But I’ll never count out the stupidity of people to not follow the rules and ruin a good thing for everyone
The dueling coaster tracks have been physically designed to have zero potential points of intersections between potential flying objects, fortunately.

To say Starfall was overengineered is an understatement.

SailorMercury

OK I know I am old, but I did play Mario years back....and I have absolutely no idea what those places and games are and absolutely no interest in seeing them in a theme park.... The park experiences should appeal to a broader audience... overall...More universal than gamers...And that is not a jab at gamers... I am just not the target audience...nor most of the people I know....

Not only do I have zero interest, the very aesthetic of Mario actually annoys - yes - annoys me.
I've felt that way since the game debuted.
The look, the sound, all irritating.
I feel like surrounding yourself with people very similar to you will result in very similar results. Fact of the matter is that Mario is extremely popular. He is THE video game, regardless of being a gamer, most people like Mario.

Mario is a timeless property regardless of what your annoyance or your retirement home community has to say about it. The sands of time are marching on, and you are being left behind.

seabreezept813

OK I know I am old, but I did play Mario years back....and I have absolutely no idea what those places and games are and absolutely no interest in seeing them in a theme park.... The park experiences should appeal to a broader audience... overall...More universal than gamers...And that is not a jab at gamers... I am just not the target audience...nor most of the people I know....
Mario is much more universal than you'd expect. It is on par with princesses with my 6 and 3 year old. The Mario movie, plus all the Mario material on youtube. This Christmas my 6 year old got 4 different Mario themed board games. We are the never leave Disney family and Mario might pull us to Universal. When the kids are older Harry Potter definitely will, but Mario will likely get us there earlier.

Incomudro

I feel like surrounding yourself with people very similar to you will result in very similar results. Fact of the matter is that Mario is extremely popular. He is THE video game, regardless of being a gamer, most people like Mario.

Mario is a timeless property regardless of what your annoyance or your retirement home community has to say about it. The sands of time are marching on, and you are being left behind.
I disliked Mario when I was young.
My twin sons' - now 22 - who really liked Mario have zero interest in it now.

Kamikaze

I agree with you that Mario has 40 years of fans and people that want to experience Mario/Nintendo attractions.

Except for the little problem that the current two attractions are not good.

The lands they've built are immersive and amazingly themed, but the Yoshi ride is laughably bad and the Mario Kart ride is boring and isn't Mario Kart at all.

We shall see how the DK coaster turns out, but I won't be making the Japan trip for that one. I'll wait for the EU version.

seabreezept813

That is great! I am glad the IP has remained relevant for all these years...
My family members who don't have kids or are older are always shocked how popular Mario is with little kids. The movie is cute, but I didn't love watching it everyday when it first came out lol. I draw the line when my kids try to watch videos of people playing Mario games. We have taught the 6 year old how to play Mario Kart and Mario Party though. It's a fun way to engage my college aged stepdaughter with the little kids.

UNCgolf

I agree with you that Mario has 40 years of fans and people that want to experience Mario/Nintendo attractions.

Except for the little problem that the current two attractions are not good.

The lands they've built are immersive and amazingly themed, but the Yoshi ride is laughably bad and the Mario Kart ride is boring and isn't Mario Kart at all.

We shall see how the DK coaster turns out, but I won't be making the Japan trip for that one. I'll wait for the EU version.

The Mario Kart ride has good sets -- it would be a better attraction if it was just a Mario dark ride. The AR shooting gallery aspect actually makes the ride worse.

And yes, it's a major misfire as a Mario Kart attraction.

Ayla

I disliked Mario when I was young.
My twin sons' - now 22 - who really liked Mario have zero interest in it now.
Similar for me. My 23 and 27 year old played Mario all the time as tweens...could not care less now, and both of them still have gaming systems in their homes.

Touchdown

Meanwhile, USH which has always been an afterthought in the LA theme park space, continues to sell (and sells out of) early access to SNW on a regular basis. That rump of a land is a huge success out west, the full experience in Epic will be just if not more popular. The Nile, not just a river in Egypt.

MouseEarsMom33

I played some Mario as a kid but didn't play a lot of video games. Super Mario Bros. 3 was my main game and never had an upgraded console until I was an adult and Wii came out. I've been waiting years for EPIC Universe to open so I can take my son, who also likes Mario games. I've never been to Universal before.

You don't have to be a serious gamer to be interested in the new Nintendo land.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The NES (Nintendo's first console) released nearly 40 years ago. There are grandparents out there who grew up playing video games. Every year the number of grandparents who grew up gaming will grow. Already there are plenty of parents who grew up in a time when video games were mainstream entertainment for their generation.

There's debate about the mass appeal of video games outside of a few select brands right now, but there won't be any debate in another 5-10 years as the generations that grew up with video games continue to become parent and grandparents. Which means theme parks should be looking at them now if they want to be ahead of the curve

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom