News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Disone

I hope that’s the case but ROE was brought out late afternoon if I recall so it wasn’t like that just appeared right before the show started.
I honestly think it was more in the early afternoon, like two or 3:00 p.m. which always made me scratch my head about to criticism of the taco barges.

Back in the ROE days.. Unless you are at world showcase from 11:00 a.m. when it opens to 3:00 p.m., ( world showcase tends to be pretty desolate population wise before 3:00 p.m.) one really didn't get unobstructed views of the lagoon.

Moot point now.... There gone!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I honestly think it was more in the early afternoon, like two or 3:00 p.m. which always made me scratch my head about to criticism of the taco barges.

Back in the ROE days.. Unless you are at world showcase from 11:00 a.m. when it opens to 3:00 p.m., ( world showcase tends to be pretty desolate population wise before 3:00 p.m.) one really didn't get unobstructed views of the lagoon.

Moot point now.... There gone!
The taco barges did take up a lot of room but I have to admit they at least looked a little more modern than the old illuminations equipment out there most of the day

I honestly think as much as we love a more open lagoon, the harnonious taco barges might have been ok if there were able to utilize them in some way during the day perhaps. The large ring in the center to me was more of an eyesore than the tacos…those at least looked modern but that’s just my opinion. Now we may see flat weird looking fireworks barges out there most of the day and people will complain then too

TDLFan

I just hope Iger let's the creatives do their job and not stick his nose in it too much. I remember enjoying Steve Davidson's walk through of World of Color's opening section only to be disappointed when it was reported Iger thought it didn't sound modern and had it changed to the female singer trilling like an American Idol audition.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I just hope Iger let's the creatives do their job and not stick his nose in it too much. I remember enjoying Steve Davidson's walk through of World of Color's opening section only to be disappointed when it was reported Iger thought it didn't sound modern and had it changed to the crappy female singer trillling like an American Idol audition.
I think he's got way bigger fish to fry than to mess with EPCOT's firework show.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They would owe residuals to the folks that earn them for broadcasts. Can't be much money but if something isn't watched much, it might be viewed as not worth the expense.

Also, a few of the stuff removed were produced by other studios, so Disney might not own them outright, but actually have some smallish licensing involved.

I would not be surprised if Idina Menzel was getting residuals on this.

Disone

The taco barges did take up a lot of room but I have to admit they at least looked a little more modern than the old illuminations equipment out there most of the day

I honestly think as much as we love a more open lagoon, the harnonious taco barges might have been ok if there were able to utilize them in some way during the day perhaps. The large ring in the center to me was more of an eyesore than the tacos…those at least looked modern but that’s just my opinion. Now we may see flat weird looking fireworks barges out there most of the day and people will complain then too
You bring up an interesting point. I wonder if they had just made the Stargate portable.... Nah. It would probably have to be in three parts (as is I believe the stargate was actually three barges moored together ) and that's the doable part but then maneuvering those three sizable barges into a relatively smaller area between the four taco barges logistically probably was a no-go.

However I do think viewing of harmonious head-on made the show better which means it was just not as good from most viewing locations.

It was in my opinion definitely a much better show when you viewed it head-on versus from the sides.

TTA94

I just hope Iger let's the creatives do their job and not stick his nose in it too much. I remember enjoying Steve Davidson's walk through of World of Color's opening section only to be disappointed when it was reported Iger thought it didn't sound modern and had it changed to the female singer trilling like an American Idol audition.

Either way though it still doesn’t mean it will be a good show. I’m sure the creatives had been given specific instructions on what’s expected for the show meaning lots of IP and making it a very simple show. Along with that probably a very small budget. The creative team can only do so much lol. I just don’t see this being near as impressive visually as Harmonious was.

TTA94

Off subject but I hope their next project is a new show for DAK. I don’t see what else entertainment wise would be in the works. As far a nighttime parade goes it’s highly likely to be MSEP so no work needed there. No rumors on any daytime parades.

I think someone said WDW will likely wait for a new show at DAK until the rumored new land is constructed. But I would think they may a new or temp show there during the construction to draw guests in?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They are ripping out the docking points from harmonious - this is a big job.

HarmonioUS_Full_51925.jpg

TTA94

I don’t see how they could have a new show up and running by the end of the year but let’s hope

That’s my thought. Very unusual we haven’t gotten more info on this show if it’s supposed to debut in a couple months. Strange things happen especially now a days but you’d think they’d want to promote this more for the fall. Seems more likely they’ll save the announcement for Destination D23 in September and debut this show next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom