News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

SpectroMagician

Can someone explain how removing a already recorded and produced piece of media from Disney+ is a cost cutting measure? They own the rights to it, it costs them essentially nothing to keep it on the service.

Disone

Can someone explain how removing a already recorded and produced piece of media from Disney+ is a cost cutting measure? They own the rights to it, it costs them essentially nothing to keep it on the service.
I assume the data storage space or something to that effect. But like you I have been wondering the same thing. How much can that possibly cost? Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this type of stuff than myself can answer this question.

Disone

Has anyone seen this year's version of SeaWorld's night time summer show called Ignite? They've really upgraded the amount of fireworks they're using in this year's version and what was already the most underrated night time spectacular in central Florida.

It kind of checks a lot of the boxes. It has its own musical score. And it's a good one too. It's not just a one-trick pony. Fountains, spotlights, lasers, a variety of flame throwers, and of course fireworks.

Each segment of the show introducers something the prior segment did not use adding to the interest. It's just over 9 minutes long so it's a little bit short but it is absolutely stunning. And this year's version is just a ton more fireworks and they've been using. I've clocked the finale at a full 30 seconds of just launching everything including the kitchen sink. 30 seconds!

Listening to the crowds reaction it's not only instantaneous but then they continue to talk about it as they exit the viewing area. Truly the remark of a show that's leaving a positive impression on its audience.

I can only hope the designers of whatever is coming to Epcot are taking some notes. There's a lot you can do with minimal infrastructure.

Last edited:

jrhwdw

Has anyone seen this year's version of SeaWorld's night time summer show called Ignite? They've really upgraded the amount of fireworks they're using in this year's version and what was already the most underrated night time spectacular in central Florida.

It kind of checks a lot of the boxes. It has its own musical score. And it's a good one too. It's not just a one-trick pony. Fountains, spotlights, lasers, a variety of flame throwers, and of course fireworks.

Each segment of the show introducers something the prior segment did not use adding to the interest. It's just over 9 minutes long so it's a little bit short but it is absolutely stunning. And this year's version is just a ton more fireworks and they've been using. I've clocked the finale at a full 30 seconds of just launching everything including the kitchen sink. 30 seconds!

Listening to the crowds reaction it's not only instantaneous but then they continue to talk about it as they exit the viewing area. Truly the remark of a show that's leaving a positive impression on its audience.

I can only hope the designers of whatever is coming to Epcot or taking some notes. There's a lot you can do with minimal infrastructure.
It looks like no additional Pyro locations like Ignite 360 last year, but Very Good!!

Meanwhile USO looks to be going the same speed as Epcot.........

Disone

It looks like no additional Pyro locations like Ignite 360 last year, but Very Good!!

Meanwhile USO looks to be going the same speed as Epcot.........
Ignite 360 last year was an interesting take. I don't know that they added anything last year more so than they just moved what they already had and spread it out. This year it's more condensed. So all the lasers are back together all the flame throwers are back together etc etc. But that betrays the fact that they are absolutely using more WAY more fireworks. I honestly would be shocked they continue to use this many per show for the entire summer. It is SeaWorld after all 🙂 but so far it's off to a very strong start.

doctornick

They would owe residuals to the folks that earn them for broadcasts. Can't be much money but if something isn't watched much, it might be viewed as not worth the expense.

Also, a few of the stuff removed were produced by other studios, so Disney might not own them outright, but actually have some smallish licensing involved.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to get to off-topic... this is the Harmonious thread, but to answer your question:
  • If some other production company (co-)made the content, there may be residuals to them for every view the content gets.
  • There may be residuals and licensing for the music or any actors.
  • Even if the content was made by some division within Disney, the bookkeeping says you 'pay' the division for the content. So, e.g., Willow may 'cost' Disney+ a 'fee' to LucasFilm. That makes LucasFilm's bottom line look good, but it makes Disney+'s bottom line look bad. And it's the big quarterly losses of D+ that is costing Disney's stock to remain low.
  • If Disney sunk a lot of money into a piece of content, then that existing content is part of their assets. If they 'retire' that asset, then they can take a write-off on it in depreciation, which helps D+'s bottom line.
  • If Disney's internal data is showing that a specific piece of content in which they sunk a lot of money isn't getting the views that keep people subscribing to D+, then it's pretty much worthless to them. Especially with D+ throwing a deficit. So, any money that can be saved or written-off is the top priority.
  • If D+ ever becomes profitable (which is likely in 2024), then these shows could possibly come back.
  • Aside from writing shows off or burying them to avoid residuals and licensing, they can be shipped out to video-on-demand or FAST streaming channels or broadcast TV in which these shows have to earn money on their own, and not just freeloading on D+.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom