News Upgrades coming to EPCOT parking lot

bhg469

The handicapped lot already looks much better.. I feel like that was redone a few weeks ago.. Funny enough my company produces asphalt, concrete and building materials in Central Florida.. That parking lot smelled way stronger than an actual asphalt plant! In the heat it was a little jarring walking to the front gate!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Honestly Epcot really doesnt need them. By the time you get to the tram loading, wait for the tram, wait for people to not listen to instructions and load unfolded strollers, continue to board after ladt call, then take the 1 minute ride to drop off, you can walk it.
Not to mention there’s now still a walk from the drop off to security. Multi modal interchanges are so E.P.C.O.T.

bhg469

Honestly Epcot really doesnt need them. By the time you get to the tram loading, wait for the tram, wait for people to not listen to instructions and load unfolded strollers, continue to board after ladt call, then take the 1 minute ride to drop off, you can walk it.
I have to agree.. Out of all the parks Epcot really needs them the least. If you're parked all the way at the end of the lane, by the time you get to the middle where you would get the tram, you're pretty close to the security gate.

Disstevefan1

Fun fact. The park just up I-4 charges even more for parking. Granted, they haven't been in business 40 years so maybe they are just trying to close the gap. :)
Firstly, Universal can charge that much BECAUSE Disney does.
Second, to me at least, Universal can (sort of) justify the costs as they built a relatively new actual parking structure.

At EPCOT its just blacktop.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Fun fact. The park just up I-4 charges even more for parking. Granted, they haven't been in business 40 years so maybe they are just trying to close the gap. :)
Parking ramps are both a bit more expensive than flat asphalt parking lots and there's a bit of a premium people are willing to pay to park in the shade.

Disney has been playing catch-up-to-what-others-are-doing for years now. "They do it, we should, too! After all, we're MAGICAL!!!"

Grumpy4196

Firstly, Universal can charge that much BECAUSE Disney does.
Second, to me at least, Universal can (sort of) justify the costs as they built a relatively new actual parking structure.

At EPCOT its just blacktop.
22 years is not relatively new IMO. Also Disney built 3 parking decks and charge $0 for using them. And last time I checked it still cost $$ to maintain blacktop.

bhg469

22 years is not relatively new IMO. Also Disney built 3 parking decks and charge $0 for using them. And last time I checked it still cost $$ to maintain blacktop.
IMO its apples to oranges.. Disney springs would lose millions if they charged to park there. Universal doesn't have the luxury of not being able to charge otherwise city walk would be packed with people who aren't going to the parks.

bhg469

I wish theyd cover the parking lots with solar panels/shade structures like in paris. Thatd be a great way to also hide the GotG box from the Epcot parking lot
At some point they will have to address EV parking and it would be in their best interest to not only make an EV parking lot (at the very back of each park's lot) but also provide electricity to those spots. Building solar covered parking will be a huge investment but it can definitely pay off.

bpiper

The handicapped lot already looks much better.. I feel like that was redone a few weeks ago.. Funny enough my company produces asphalt, concrete and building materials in Central Florida.. That parking lot smelled way stronger than an actual asphalt plant! In the heat it was a little jarring walking to the front gate!
Maybe they did what they did to MK's parking lot in the past. They milled the top layer of asphalt off and then fed it into a specialized paver that heated up the millings, added additional liquid asphalt, mixed it up and then laid it back down.

I remember they did the same thing at Downtown Disney and there was a thread with pictures here of the machine catching fire in the parking lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom