News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

UNCgolf

This applies to other groups as well. Labor unions have a lot of political power just like a lot of corporations.

Labor unions are different, though, in that they're collectively representing the interests of thousands (or millions) of individual members (at least in theory). That's a lot of voting power. A corporation is representing its interest as a single entity with no voting rights.

I suppose you could argue they're representing the interests of their individual shareholders, but I think that's a big stretch for multiple reasons.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Labor unions are different, though, in that they're collectively representing the interests of thousands (or millions) of individual members (at least in theory). That's a lot of voting power. A corporation is representing its interest as a single entity with no voting rights.

I suppose you could argue they're representing the interests of their individual shareholders, but I think that's a big stretch for multiple reasons.
Corporations represent the interests of their employees too. If laws damage a particular industry (especially regulations) it can and will result in layoffs and cost cutting at the corporation which directly impacts the employees. At higher levels things like bonuses and equity comp is also impacted but I get most people don’t care as much about that impact. I get that corporations are focused on profits and making money for shareholders but millions rely on those corporations for work too.

I work in the energy industry and I know the company I work for lobbies politicians and makes political donations at various levels. In some cases that lobbying and those donations are done at a more local level in an attempt to keep a particular power plant from shutting down. If that effort is unsuccessful it may hurt the company’s bottom line some but it’s devastating for the employees of that plant and depending on the demographics could have a ripple effect on the local economy. So while it’s easy to view corporations as generally just being evil and focused on their own profits, they are also an integral part of a lot of people’s lives.

UNCgolf

Corporations represent the interests of their employees too. If laws damage a particular industry (especially regulations) it can and will result in layoffs and cost cutting at the corporation which directly impacts the employees. At higher levels things like bonuses and equity comp is also impacted but I get most people don’t care as much about that impact. I get that corporations are focused on profits and making money for shareholders but millions rely on those corporations for work too.

I work in the energy industry and I know the company I work for lobbies politicians and makes political donations at various levels. In some cases that lobbying and those donations are done at a more local level in an attempt to keep a particular power plant from shutting down. If that effort is unsuccessful it may hurt the company’s bottom line some but it’s devastating for the employees of that plant and depending on the demographics could have a ripple effect on the local economy. So while it’s easy to view corporations as generally just being evil and focused on their own profits, they are also an integral part of a lot of people’s lives.

To an extent, but I still think that's fundamentally different from a labor union.

Corporations also lobby for things that will hurt their employees -- they're generally not trying to make things as good for employees as possible; that's often (although not always) a side effect rather than the specific purpose of the lobbying.

Vegas Disney Fan

To an extent, but I still think that's fundamentally different from a labor union.

Corporations also lobby for things that will hurt their employees -- they're generally not trying to make things as good for employees as possible; that's typically (although not always) a side effect rather than the specific purpose of the lobbying.

If unions stuck to work related issues I’d agree, but they delve into a lot of other issues that have absolutely nothing to do with work conditions, that might not reach the level of “hurt” but it’s directly opposite the beliefs of roughly half their members.

The biggest problem with money in politics is those with the money ultimately pick the winners, a million people can donate to candidate A and 1 corporation/union/pac/mega rich donor can outspend them and ultimately get candidate B nominated. If you don’t have your own money or at least one huge backer you have little chance of winning anything in American politics.

EPCOT-O.G.

Corporations also lobby for things that will hurt their employees -- they're generally not trying to make things as good for employees as possible; that's often (although not always) a side effect rather than the specific purpose of the lobbying.
Yes, but there are numerous instances where unions have lockstep supported candidates or causes that are far afield from its ostensible charter and are in opposition to the views of many of their rank and file members.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Corporations lobby for things that benefit the corporation. In most cases that is an indirect and sometimes a direct benefit to their employees too. I suppose if for example a corporation lobbied against an increase in minimum wage that would directly hurt a subset of their employees who make minimum wage but it would have no negative impact for any worker earning above minimum wage already and could actually benefit all workers if the increase in minimum wage would result in layoffs or closures. Unions represent the interest of their workers in general but that isn’t always going to be in the best interest of every individual. Again, in the minimum wage example, if a union successfully lobbied for an increase in minimum wage that obviously benefits the minimum wage employees but would be neutral to others making more and could even be harmful if it results in layoffs.

UNCgolf

I'm not going to quote everyone, but that's why I appended (in theory) to my original statement about labor unions. Of course they don't always do things that are supported by 100% of their membership, or even the large majority of the membership.

My point was that a labor union exists for the benefit of its members, even if it doesn't always function that way. That's the whole purpose of a labor union.

A corporation does not exist for the benefit of its employees. It does exist for the benefit of its shareholders, but when talking about large, publicly held corporations, the majority of shareholders are generally so far removed from the corporate structure (due to so many shares being held by index funds and mutual funds) that they're not really a consideration beyond broad economic markers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They may have thought the likeliest scenario was that Desantis will be the governor for the next 4 years, and winning this battle could/would cost them more in the long run than just waiting it out.
I definitely think that’s a factor and depending on what happens with his future plans may be less than 4. There have been 10 Governors of FL since WDW opened and there will probably be 10 more in the next 50 years. They are likely playing the long game to some extent. I also think the goal is that future relations with the Government go back to being more behind closed doors.

Willmark

A Supreme Court ruling in the Citizens United case describes corporations can spend unlimited monies to give to politicians. Money in politics will never go away. That’s for sure. One can buy their way into getting what they want.
It is, but money in politics is not something unique to American politics which is what I was responding to.

flyakite

This was published in the Orlando Sentinel legal notices this morning:

NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on March 29 th at 10:00 a.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Board of Supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in special session at The Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort 1850 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida in the Horizons Ballroom. The purpose of the Special Board of Supervisor’s meeting is for the Board to discuss priorities and forthcoming deadlines for the District and to give the District staff and legal counsel direction on the Board’s priorities and deadlines.

It is not posted on the Reedy Creek website yet.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
This was published in the Orlando Sentinel legal notices this morning:

NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on March 29 th at 10:00 a.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Board of Supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in special session at The Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort 1850 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida in the Horizons Ballroom. The purpose of the Special Board of Supervisor’s meeting is for the Board to discuss priorities and forthcoming deadlines for the District and to give the District staff and legal counsel direction on the Board’s priorities and deadlines.

It is not posted on the Reedy Creek website yet.
Might have to attend this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom