News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

correcaminos

That is true.

However they did say when Riviera restrictions were announced that resale points would not be valid for use at Riviera or other new resorts going forward.

So if they decided to not impose restrictions on the new PVB Tower if it was a new association, they would certainly have some difficult questions to answer at the very least.

Thats not to say they can’t do it, but I think the restrictions will remain if it’s a new association. As to whether it’s an extension or not I don’t have an opinion one way or the other. It won’t affect me either way and the points charts for the Tower will determine if we stay there in a 1 or 2 bed or just go for 2 studios.
Yes I know what they said. But what they say and do don't always match. This one will greatly affect me though if not same association. While we do some PVB stays, I will predominantly want it for 2 bedroom stays. I don't trust that I can use my PVB or OKW points there. I've said before I'll have to sell my original PVB or OKW and that would break my heart for PVB. For OKW it will be very costly.

Some have looked and legally they can change RR if they wanted so they could revert if they chose. It was a mistake from many's views and I agree. Having levels to get Blue Card was fine, but the resort restrictions stink.

They of course can do what they want with a new resort. But DLH DVC is next. I think you'll see the same restrictions there and that sets the tone moving forward.

If they want restrictions at the new DVC tower they will make it a new association. If they don't, they won't. I believe it's in their financial interest to continue down the same path with restrictions and that this new thing will be it's own association. Just my opinion, though I can see why people might think it goes the other way.
I am honestly not as convinced. I think something is smelly already with how they are selling/booking DLT.

I actually disagree completely with your last statement. If they felt it was best financial interest they would not have done what they did at VGF. JMO of course.

MickeyCB

I know four people that bought DVC at some point between 2011 and 2018. Every single one of us is up huge on our investment. I got 150 plus points from Bay lake Tower for $82 a point and 2015 or 16.
We bought at the Poly in 2015 and broke even (including yearly dues) in 2020.
It's enabled us to stay twice in the bungalows, various other WDW resorts, Hilton Head a few times, Grand Californian and this past year at Aulani.
It's definitely been worth it for us.
(I keep track of the cash equivalent because my husband was so opposed to buying in at first and I use that info to get him to appreciate how right I was)! 🤣

I personally, would love for this tower to be an extension to the existing Poly membership because we use the 1 and 2 bedrooms almost exclusively due to family size, and the ability to book those rooms at 11 months would be wonderful.
We bought here because we love the resort, but had always hoped they would make 1 and 2 bedrooms available. When we bought there was a rumor that they would do that on the side closer to the TTC.

lazyboy97o

wow, I hadn't seen them use tilt-up construction like this in residential-style buildings before. Around us, this tilt-up construction of pre-formed concrete is how EVERY datacenter is built now... and they go up super quick. But every apartment building, etc has still been built more traditionally. Haven't seen this is any hotel/etc building now. Interesting...
Tilt-up is not precast. Tilt-up panels are poured on site and lifted. They’re typically the entire height of the building, not individual segments.

They are following Universal's lead. Their Endless Summer resort built on top of the old Wet N Wild location used this same construction method. Panels went up super quick. I wonder how they do in high winds or seismic motion? It looks like they have weld plates imbedded into the concrete periodically to lock them together.
They have to meet the same wind load requirements as anything else. They’re really not that different from any other form of concrete construction.

For the sake of the people dropping money on these, I sure hope they do a better job of soundproofing between rooms/floors than Loews did with Endless Summer.

Also worth pointing out that those resorts built that way make up the most bottom tier of Universal's version of a value resort.

Not saying the construction technique is inherently a problem - I know little to nothing about that. Just hope they come out better than Unversal's.
Endless Summer embraced the parking garage aesthetic. That isn’t required of concrete construction.

Sound attenuation between rooms is only related to the structural system in whether or not there is a structural wall between the rooms. Building demising walls with a high STC (sound transmission class) value between units is really a completely separate issue from the structural system. You can go cheap and have the code minimum or do more. Things like outlet placement though can undermine a wall’s sound attenuation. STC rating is also an average and sounds at differing frequencies and wavelengths will move through materials and assemblies differently.

nickys

Premium Member
Stink that the new minimums basically make this impossible for new members under this frequency :( IMO, the rule should be any number of direct points are eligible or a minimum of 125 if mixed with resale.
I’m not following.

We bought 160 points, we bank and borrow to book a 1 or 2 bedroom villa for 2 weeks or so every 3 years. The minimum number of points doesn’t change that option. 🙅‍♀️

Disney Glimpses

I’m not following.

We bought 160 points, we bank and borrow to book a 1 or 2 bedroom villa for 2 weeks or so every 3 years. The minimum number of points doesn’t change that option. 🙅‍♀️
Yeah, "impossible" was not the right choice of word. But there are a lot of folks who just want a studio once every 3 years. Which, especially depending on time of year, require a number of points far below the minimum. Heck, even people visiting once a year in a studio may run into this. Anyways, I just don't think those people should be excluded from benefits.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Yeah, "impossible" was not the right choice of word. But there are a lot of folks who just want a studio once every 3 years. Which, especially depending on time of year, require a number of points far below the minimum. Heck, even people visiting once a year in a studio may run into this. Anyways, I just don't think those people should be excluded from benefits.
Disney seems to be of the mind that they have too many owners who prefer studios, IMO.

I actually agree with them on that. But it’s their own damn fault for pricing 1BRs so outrageously vs studios on points, when compared to the gap in cash rates or at other timeshares.

pdude81

I am honestly not as convinced. I think something is smelly already with how they are selling/booking DLT.

I actually disagree completely with your last statement. If they felt it was best financial interest they would not have done what they did at VGF. JMO of course.

DLT is a little fishy, but they have so few rooms on site compared to WDW that they need to get booking before people stay nearby and walk instead. You may be right about something being up as they should have been selling points by now.

VGF as a stand alone DVC is a non starter. It's a cheap refurb of existing resort rooms with no additional amenities added. They had more demand for DVC points there than deman for those rooms at rack rate. Reasonable minds can read the tea leaves different ways.

correcaminos

DLT is a little fishy, but they have so few rooms on site compared to WDW that they need to get booking before people stay nearby and walk instead. You may be right about something being up as they should have been selling points by now.

VGF as a stand alone DVC is a non starter. It's a cheap refurb of existing resort rooms with no additional amenities added. They had more demand for DVC points there than deman for those rooms at rack rate. Reasonable minds can read the tea leaves different ways.
Agree on DLR being fishy... but it will be what it will be.

I think you over simplify PVB vs VGF but I'm not here to argue when minds are already made up. However saying those who view the situation differently than you are not reasonable minds is honesty laughable. We view it differently that's all. My views come from just as sound ideas as yours. It was initially announced as an extension to guides last year, so whether they stay with it or not will be seen. It, however is understandable why they need the tower to balance. Especially since the rebalance of points makes the flagship resort to be less points than PVB. But hey no one knows. At least I will admit it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
View from the monorail at Magic Kingdom.

A14DBD09-6D04-4A47-9CAE-0F376EE4EC8C.jpeg

James Alucobond

I will continue to hope vainly that at the speed they’re moving, they can restore the walkway to the Grand Floridian rather quickly. Unlike other rerouted pathways that tend to only be an inconvenience, this one felt tortuous and genuinely dangerous at some points.

pdude81

I will continue to hope vainly that at the speed they’re moving, they can restore the walkway to the Grand Floridian rather quickly. Unlike other rerouted pathways that tend to only be an inconvenience, this one felt tortuous and genuinely dangerous at some points.
IIRC the new walkway would be between the lagoon and the building, but close to active construction. The plans made it look like they even need to expand the shoreline out a bit for the path. So I assume the new path won't open until they are largely finished with exterior construction.

James Alucobond

IIRC the new walkway would be between the lagoon and the building, but close to active construction. The plans made it look like they even need to expand the shoreline out a bit for the path. So I assume the new path won't open until they are largely finished with exterior construction.
The shoreline has already been reshaped to more or less match the plans.

correcaminos

I think they'll have to get more exterior work to allow for that. I do suspect we won't see it anytime soon sadly. I agree the current walk is horrible. Cars go flying down the road. I almost witnessed an accident if the passenger didn't yell for the driver to slow down (windows were open). CMs at VGF agreed the path is awful. I'll likely avoid the area until it reopens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom