New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

UNCgolf

I can't imagine this place succeeding in this location at these prices.

For people that want a high end meal, Flying Fish is basically next door, and it's probably the best non-V&A restaurant at Disney World. I doubt the Cake Bake Shop will be better, and it's just as expensive if not moreso.

I think they could be pretty successful with breakfast service (considering that's hard to find at Disney), but not at those prices. $18 for bacon and eggs? $9 for a cup of fruit?

And most people aren't planning to spend $30+ on a sandwich for lunch, either.

Last edited:

Bocabear

There are those that will...but it will most likely be once....and maybe that is all they care about. Maybe if you just have a $12 corn dog and a complimentary cup of tap water, you can afford the $26 slice of cake for dessert....then your lunch would only be $38 excluding tax and tip...Want fries with that Dog? it's going to be over $50 and you have to it outside on a park bench....

trainplane3

For people that want a high end meal, Flying Fish is basically next door, and it's probably the best non-V&A restaurant at Disney World. I doubt the Cake Bake Shop will be better, and it's just as expensive if not moreso.

I think they could be pretty successful with breakfast service (considering that's hard to find at Disney), but not at those prices. $18 for bacon and eggs? $9 for a cup of fruit?

And most people aren't planning to spend $30+ on a sandwich for lunch.
I was going to say the exact same thing. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'll walk 2 minutes down the boardwalk and go to the Flying Fish instead. This place is outclassed and outvalued and it hasn't even opened yet.

LSLS

That's the thing. It could be of equal quality. But the fact will then become am I going to spend $44 on a Burger, fries, and a beer, or $55 for salmon and a beer? There's just no chance at similar prices, I'm taking a burger over fish, even if it's a great burger.

Bocabear

Based only on what I have seen of her other restaurants, I am sure the interior will be very pretty and glam...in a Beverly Hills Housewives sort of way.....and I am sure the food will be good.... I just think with all the recent and continued price hikes across property, that maybe this is not the right restaurant at a resort where the guests are starting to feel fleeced...I think the bucket is tipping and a place like this feels like it is pushing it. Both ESPN and Big River were reasonably priced dining options... now your only reasonably priced dining option is a corn dog on a park bench...oh yeah or a deli sandwich on the same park bench...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm not one to hope businesses fail, but I hope this fails. At some point the consumer needs to vote with their wallet. These prices are a bit offensive and its a shame that this space is being utilized for this. As someone who typically stays in the Epcot report area, I was really hoping for a moderately priced (for Disney standards) lunch and dinner venue. We lost Big River, the new deli is anything but an authentic jersey deli and who the heck eats corndogs anymore. There is a clear lack of vision for this area, which has so much potential. We love Flying Fish, but that's a splurge as well.

RKpb

Yup, in agreement with the rest of the postings on price. I can't believe they took out ESPN for this over priced option. The kids loved the ESPN atmosphere as well as the arcade. I can see this dyeing on the vine like the down town NBNA experience. Why spend the kind of cash they did to redo this for a obvious fail and took forever to rebuild this spot? Crazy decisions these days, I think the California crew is making all the decisions on the Florida operations changes and they just don't get it. Look at the Polynesian tower they are building, doesn't fit the Poly theme at all to me, looks like a northern California hotel; gah what are they doing to the parks and surrounding properties..... go look at the Pop food court change, wow, whos doing this stuff? I'm loosing the magic that Disney had brought me in the past.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Cake Bake is going to have to adjust/reduce their pricing if they at all plan to survive. Unless this is the world's greatest food? Anyone have experience eating stuff from this menu?
That's what I would like to know, so far anyone who's been just mentioned whole experience or a particular cake that they liked was their favorite!

Bocabear

It is a head scratcher... for sure. I am waiting for them to open a French Laundry at the Caribbean Beach Hotel and a Delmonico's at the All Star Sports next...
Spago at Fort Wilderness?
I think Spago's kids menus is a lot cheaper though....

Last edited:

Purduevian

Looking at the menus for similarish items:
Cake BakeFlying Fish
Bowl of Soup $18-$24Lobster Bisque $18
Salad $26-$28Garden Bibb Lettuce $15
Steak Frites au Poivre $58Filet Mignon $59
Roasted Salmon Filet $45Verlasso Salmon $48
Kids Buttered Noodles $18Kids Pasta with Marinara $14
Salmon Sliders $22Kids Red Snapper $19

If you take this as a Signature dinning experience, it's actually not super far off.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Cake BakeFlying Fish

If you take this as a Signature dinning experience, it's actually not super far off.
Have you factored in table service?

Purduevian

It is? I assumed (wrongly, I guess) it wasn't.
The Cake Bake Shop by Gwendolyn Rogers, is a new table service restaurant and bakery expected to open in 2023. According to Disney, "this restaurant will offer both savory and dessert menus, along with afternoon tea service, in a whimsical atmosphere that complements the magic of the idyllic charm of Disney’s BoardWalk."

James Alucobond

… and who the heck eats corndogs anymore?
Your tastes notwithstanding, this is one of the options that actually makes sense for the theme.

At any rate, the issue here is that absolutely everything is $5-10 over expectation (not Gwendolyn Rogers expectations, just normal expectations). There is zero relief on the menu. You can’t look anywhere and say, “Well, at least X is reasonable even if Y isn’t.”

Chef idea Mickey`=

It is fancy and cute and glam...Yes, table service...
Having looked at the current locations I got to say it's way more than fancy, cute and glam. It's Beyond! People would say how uncomfortable they may feel stepping into The Grand Floridian lobby! Even the bar side area for the Guy's is overly abundant bright! Expect just to see bunch of talkative rowdy laughin ladies and grandmother's, few grandkids and their daughter's accompanied.. men I don't know... 🥴

UNCgolf

Cake BakeFlying Fish

That was kind of my point, though -- Flying Fish is probably the best restaurant at Disney World not named Victoria & Albert's, so why go to Cake Bake Shop when it's right there?

The Boardwalk doesn't need another Signature type restaurant (especially not for breakfast and lunch); feels like it's going to be hard to compete there. They'd be much better off at Disney Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom