Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
After rise on the same ILL rides? Oh Jesus.

They really don't think there's a ceiling is there? Attendance is soft isn't it?

From my cheap seat, it looks like they are raising the price on ILL's that are (inexplicably) selling out every day anyway, so it's just raising revenue without doing anything. For TDO, it's perfect.

rd805

I'm of the mindset if people are still paying the prices listed there, then Disney has the capacity to raise them as they aren't effectively keeping people from NOT upgrading to an 'Express.' If it it is a "premium," - price it that way and people will stop paying for it lol, keeping Stand-By more straight forward.

JMcMahonEsq

At this point, they really should just do a Universal express pass system and be done with it...
I don't think the perceived sale value is there for that. The equivalent pricing would be huge, and likely a barrier to purchasing for many people/families.

Now you get to purchase on a daily basis, or even a ride basis, giving customers alot more flexibility in what they spend their money on, as opposed to having to make a single UEP type purchase for a day, which is going to be set at a price significantly higher likely then you LL/G+ costs now.

Also, similar to micro transactional type pricing, you get alot more customers buying into the product, and over time can even get more sales than with a single lump sump purchase. You get both the people who couldn't afford the huge cost of UEP, but will buy a day or two. AND you will get people who buy it for one day, then then next day, and then the LL's an by day 4-5 say screw it we have already paid some much might as well get it for the next day too, and you could eventually get over a week plus trip more in spending than the simple UEP cost might have been.

Indy_UK

At this point, they really should just do a Universal express pass system and be done with it...

They're ticking system is an absolute mess.

Even out the ticket pricing across all 4 parks so that they are the same price (which should spur Disney to expand AK and HS more) Add a $50 hopper option

Then just a $75-$100 LL option for those who want to pay it.

Its all way to confusing

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Third, why is it unfortunate that WDW has found something people want to buy, and are selling it at a price that people think has value?
Because (and you know this) it flies in the face of decades of good will developed by Disney when they offered all of what they're now charging for to customers without additional charge.

Sorry, but current management's customer value extraction paradigm actually deprogrammed my very effective Disney brainwashing stemming from early childhood television exposure in the 1950's thru pleasant memories associated with their extensive videos, movies and park/resort visits in the 1990's and early Aughts... The 20-teens accelerated the decline as they created FP, then shifted from FP to FP+, then Genie and his plus, then LLs and ILLs and who-knows-what now and into the future.

Disney has clearly moved beyond me. I'm standing on the platform waving "Bye-bye!"

When planning a Disney vacation becomes just as hard as work -- if not harder -- I'll stay at work, thank you. At least I get paid for that.

lentesta

Premium Member
This is silly. First LL has development costs, infrastructure, implementation costs, maintenance, hosting costs., ect., all of which cost/costs the company money.

If I recall correctly, domestic implementation costs were $50MM. Ongoing domestic operational costs are ~$25MM.

Domestic revenue is probably north of $700MM/year.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Because (and you know this) it flies in the face of decades of good will developed by Disney when they offered all of what they're now charging for to customers without additional charge.

Sorry, but current management's customer value extraction paradigm actually deprogrammed my very effective Disney brainwashing stemming from early childhood television exposure in the 1950's thru pleasant memories associated with their extensive videos, movies and park/resort visits in the 1990's and early Aughts... The 20-teens accelerated the decline as they created FP, then shifted from FP to FP+, then Genie and his plus, then LLs and ILLs and who-knows-what now and into the future.

Disney has clearly moved beyond me. I'm standing on the platform waving "Bye-bye!"

When planning a Disney vacation becomes just as hard as work -- if not harder -- I'll stay at work, thank you. At least I get paid for that.
If I recall correctly, domestic implementation costs were $50MM. Ongoing domestic operational costs are ~$25MM.

Quoting both for posterity. 👏

JD80

Disney World, not Disney as a whole. Other Disney parks offered paid line skipping long before G+.

JMcMahonEsq

No no, people WANT that. The resident Diznee-iz-a-biznezz genius around here said so.
First who actually turns up to WDW without tickets already being purchased? WDW isn't some roadside park where people spur of the moment just decide to stop in and think about buying a ticket on a random Saturday morning.

Second, if you really can't understand online ordering of different options with differing pricing, its time to take your AARP card and head off to play some canasta or something. We aren't talking multivariable calculus here.

And third, do you see days where there are tons of LL's not being bought? When you are the back, assuming your still going and not just complaining on a MB about a place you don't go to, do you see LL lines that are empty bc people aren't buying and using them? It's not me saying so, is the consumer actually buying the product that shows people want it, or find value in it.

Jrb1979

Disney World, not Disney as a whole. Other Disney parks offered paid line skipping long before G+.
That part has bothered me as it's standard now for almost all parks. What's brothered me is charging for a crappy system. Simplify it and make it easy to use. None of this pre-booking return time nonsense.

JMcMahonEsq

Oh I don't doubt that the product is profitable, i was just commenting that it is absurd to say it doesn't cost anything.

Thought I would be surprised (and i have no numbers or information contrary to yours so not saying your wrong) that the total R&D and implementation cost would only be 2X of yearly operational costs.

Jrb1979

First who actually turns up to WDW without tickets already being purchased? WDW isn't some roadside park where people spur of the moment just decide to stop in and think about buying a ticket on a random Saturday morning.

Second, if you really can't understand online ordering of different options with differing pricing, its time to take your AARP card and head off to play some canasta or something. We aren't talking multivariable calculus here.

And third, do you see days where there are tons of LL's not being bought? When you are the back, assuming your still going and not just complaining on a MB about a place you don't go to, do you see LL lines that are empty bc people aren't buying and using them? It's not me saying so, is the consumer actually buying the product that shows people want it, or find value in it.
First I wish you and others would stop looking down on other parks. They are not roadside attractions but parks that draw millions of guests a year.

Second just cause people buy it doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Disney guests have been programmed to think they need LLs to enjoy the parks.

JMcMahonEsq

What do you think the price point ends up being for such a system? My understanding from rumors (having never visited or looked into Universal) is that their express pass system is basically a single price for the day, and operates like a simple line skip. Meaning whenever you want to go to that ride, you go through a separate entrance and cut the existing line, no return times, no reserving a time, ect. I also don't know how limited the sales of the pass is based on percentage of total visitors to the park on a given day. To have such flexibility for WDW I have to imagine the pricing would be significant, both to get the revenue that your missing from the smaller daily spends that your get from individual G+/LL type purchases AND to keep the number of such passes given out smaller so that they have actual value, as opposed to just everyone buying them and now it just becomes the norm and you get 2 stand by lines.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What do you think the price point ends up being for such a system?
Really high, just like it is really high at Universal (more than the regular ticket in many cases). You would see a lot less people use this than the current system.

My understanding from rumors (having never visited or looked into Universal) is that their express pass system is basically a single price for the day, and operates like a simple line skip. Meaning whenever you want to go to that ride, you go through a separate entrance and cut the existing line, no return times, no reserving a time, ect.
Exactly. Simplify it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom