New Generic Option - Costume Shortage

CaptainAmerica

I’ve already seen it in practice, and honestly no one really cared. Disney also very publicly said that they are allowing this, so if a persons trip is ruined because they think someone shouldn’t be wearing a pilgrim dress then maybe they have bigger things to consider. If a cast member feels more comfortable being them self wearing that than all the power to them. I’ve seen multiple cast in various locations wearing what would have been previously been the other gender costume and so far we have all survived.
You misunderstand me. I'm not asking whether guests SHOULD get upset, I'm asking whether guests WILL get upset. Disney takes their guests as they are, not as they'd like them to be.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
You misunderstand me. I'm not asking whether guests SHOULD get upset, I'm asking whether guests WILL get upset. Disney takes their guests as they are, not as they'd like them to be.
Ah gotcha. Interestingly enough this came up earlier in the year and the response basically was/is that this is a value “the Company” believes in and will not apologize for it.

I think if it were going to blow up social media it would have happened already, this has been around for months now.

Ayla

I’ve already seen it in practice, and honestly no one really cared. Disney also very publicly said that they are allowing this, so if a persons trip is ruined because they think someone shouldn’t be wearing a pilgrim dress then maybe they have bigger things to consider. If a cast member feels more comfortable being them self wearing that than all the power to them. I’ve seen multiple cast in various locations wearing what would have been previously been the other gender costume and so far we have all survived.
We saw a male CM wearing a skirt. I don't remember where it was, but I do remember thinking "cool, he's wearing a skirt" and went on with my day.

Rich Brownn

Once a week? Ha! Once I found a comfortable costume piece I kept it until it was worn out. I washed my own costumes once they started allowing us to take them home. Comfort was more important than having them launder the costumes with those uncomfortable things!
When I worked at "the other place" on the train, the only vests that fit me were 6-button vests. Usually only 5-button vests were available (which basically came down not quite to the pants). Why there were two designs, I have no idea. But I'd never trade it in unless I made sure a new 6=button was available. That being said, somehow I ended up with my Main Street Jacket from 1977 - long before we could take them home. (Doesn't fit anymore of course - LOL)

monorail81

When I worked at "the other place" on the train, the only vests that fit me were 6-button vests. Usually only 5-button vests were available (which basically came down not quite to the pants). Why there were two designs, I have no idea. But I'd never trade it in unless I made sure a new 6=button was available. That being said, somehow I ended up with my Main Street Jacket from 1977 - long before we could take them home. (Doesn't fit anymore of course - LOL)
I’ve got some pants in the closet that REALLY don’t fit anymore. Wish I had a shirt…

Adrienne Eggert

They always have a shortage it has nothing to do with a flux. I worked at Disney Animal Kingdom 3 years ago and they didn’t have the size for half the people working at the location we were working. I normally wear a large and all the had was 2xl and the whole time I worked there they never got my size but got upset with me when I had costume issues or a safety pin would come undone and things started to slip or sag.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
They always have a shortage it has nothing to do with a flux. I worked at Disney Animal Kingdom 3 years ago and they didn’t have the size for half the people working at the location we were working. I normally wear a large and all the had was 2xl and the whole time I worked there they never got my size but got upset with me when I had costume issues or a safety pin would come undone and things started to slip or sag.
Did you fill out a blue card? Lol. But yea the shortage is reaching extremes right now. Not even lack of sizing, but lack of anything.

Mr. Moderate

Maybe it's time Disney just follow the industry leading Six Flags and do away with the uniforms altogether. We had a good run and the past is the past and Walt's ideas have run their course.

Buy a bunch of unisex, neutral, Polo style shirts with no logo and make the CM's buy their own khaki pants from Target or Walmart, on their own dime of course, and make it standard across the parks. Maybe if the budget allows it, make the shirts for AK green to give the impression of caring about the planet and make sure to tell the guests the reason why they got rid of costumes is to cut out the process of cleaning the multiple costumes and cut down on global warming. Most of the diehards/pixie dusters will buy anything the company tells them.

The CM's then will be responsible for cleaning their own shirts and pants, thus saving the company on water usage and power. It's a win win, I tell ya. I can just see the shareholders rejoicing in glee with the cost cutting.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Maybe it's time Disney just follow the industry leading Six Flags and do away with the uniforms altogether. We had a good run and the past is the past and Walt's ideas have run their course.

Buy a bunch of unisex, neutral, Polo style shirts with no logo and make the CM's buy their own khaki pants from Target or Walmart, on their own dime of course, and make it standard across the parks. Maybe if the budget allows it, make the shirts for AK green to give the impression of caring about the planet and make sure to tell the guests the reason why they got rid of costumes is to cut out the process of cleaning the multiple costumes and cut down on global warming. Most of the diehards/pixie dusters will buy anything the company tells them.

The CM's then will be responsible for cleaning their own shirts and pants, thus saving the company on water usage and power. It's a win win, I tell ya. I can just see the shareholders rejoicing in glee with the cost cutting.
That’s not what’s happening.

Mr. Moderate

That’s not what’s happening.
It was a joke mixed sarcasm and a dose of reality to come. I once worked at Marriott's Great America in Gurnee Illinois in the early 80's as a teen and they had dress code and costume policy very similar to what Disney had in place and it worked. It was no secret that Marriott copied the Disney parks when building their park in my area in 1976. It was a nice, clean park where families could enjoy experiences somewhat close to what Disneyland has. Once the Marriott corp sold the the park in 1985, the costumes and dress code were phased out over time and the park today is what I described above and a sad shell of what it once was. Most locals like me who remember how it once was, stay away.

Not too long ago there was a poster advocating this same policy on the thread where Disney relaxed their requirements on facial hair, etc, and the poster said they should only have to wear a name tag on whatever they choose to wear. I would not be surprised to see Disney in the future do away with costumes and go with an option of Disney branded Polo shirts with a logo and khaki colored shorts and pants. Money rules all in the corporate world and Wall Street and it's more for them, less for those below.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
It was a joke mixed sarcasm and a dose of reality to come. I once worked at Marriott's Great America in Gurnee Illinois in the early 80's as a teen and they had dress code and costume policy very similar to what Disney had in place and it worked. It was no secret that Marriott copied the Disney parks when building their park in my area in 1976. It was a nice, clean park where families could enjoy experiences somewhat close to what Disneyland has. Once the Marriott corp sold the the park in 1985, the costumes and dress code were phased out over time and the park today is what I described above and a sad shell of what it once was. Most locals like me who remember how it once was, stay away.

Not too long ago there was a poster advocating this same policy on the thread where Disney relaxed their requirements on facial hair, etc, and the poster said they should only have to wear a name tag on whatever they choose to wear. I would not be surprised to see Disney in the future do away with costumes and go with an option of Disney branded Polo shirts with a logo and khaki colored shorts and pants. Money rules all in the corporate world and Wall Street and it's more for them, less for those below.
I think you’ll see more mix and match options like DAK and some of the resorts have implemented, but I don’t see the polo route coming. Even in Disney stores dying days they still had a costume.

twilight mitsuk

Welcome to six flags

Mr. Moderate

I think you’ll see more mix and match options like DAK and some of the resorts have implemented, but I don’t see the polo route coming. Even in Disney stores dying days they still had a costume.
I hope you're right. I'd hate to see the abandonment of the traditions that made the Disney parks so special. Things have changed so much and not for the better either.

Patcheslee

We may think it didn’t save the company money but then why else would they have done it? There’s no doubt that more pieces went missing or were damaged, but surely that was offset by not having to pay for walk time and not having to have as many people working wardrobe issue and not having to launder as many pieces all the time . They also charge you for pieces not returned (like the $100 epcot jacket I once had to pay for). I think it was also becoming harder to expect people to get ready for work, drive to work, and then have to get ready for work again once you arrived to wardrobe. For me personally I’d much rather get dressed in my costume at home then have to get dressed just to change again a few minutes later. I agree it’s still jarring sometimes to see costumes shopping at publix, and Im scared to think what flamingo crossing businesses are going to look at because CPs loooove to make it know they’re CMs any way possible. Saying that, the expectation has always been that you should remove your costume before going out to do things after work other than quick errands before or after. From a guest perspective sure it would be great not to see a cm pumping gas, but also being on the other side as a cm I much prefer having the option of getting ready for work at home.
So I've got to ask, did they have locker rooms for people to change in? If so si they get rid of them?
I for one would actually be delighted to see this! A bit of magic spilling out into the real world.
That would be the equivalent of DD13 seeing a rockstar outside a concert we didn't attend. CMs, general theme park employees have the best jobs in the world and getting to see them gets her amped up to go to the parks.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
So I've got to ask, did they have locker rooms for people to change in? If so si they get rid of them?

That would be the equivalent of DD13 seeing a rockstar outside a concert we didn't attend. CMs, general theme park employees have the best jobs in the world and getting to see them gets her amped up to go to the parks.
Locker rooms are still there for people to change in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom