Fantasmic Reopening Watch

Squishy

Anyone know what’s going on with Dragon Maleficent? Was there again last night and we once again had just Maleficent on the platform instead of the dragon. I’ve seen more dragon-less shows in the last two months than I ever did in the last 25 years.
Noticed this too, the water of fire effect has been off a lot of times recently too, both with or without the dragon.

SplashJacket

Anyone know what’s going on with Dragon Maleficent? Was there again last night and we once again had just Maleficent on the platform instead of the dragon. I’ve seen more dragon-less shows in the last two months than I ever did in the last 25 years.
Maleficent on a stick and no fire on Thursday either.

Watched 3 shows in the last couple months and only saw the dragon in the middle show. First show without fire.

gerarar

Premium Member
Last night (1/7), Mulan was fighting and training on stage without Li Shang! This is extremely rare since this is the first I've seen it captured. Guess we can call this a "B-mode" lol.
Weirder part is that Li Shang was on the steamboat in the finale, so something must've happened backstage during the action sequence to make the CM unavailable for the part.
Screenshot_20240108_072729_YouTube.jpg

Timestamped Livestream:

Also something else I've noticed is that Moana has a new secondary costume for when it's cold out. Previously she would wear a brown coat on chilly nights, but now she has a red long sleeve, which matches her usual costume.
VideoCapture_20240108-073248.jpg

VideoCapture_20240108-073216.jpg

Here's a comparison to the previous costume. Obviously the newer long-sleeved one is better themed and looks better!
Screenshot_20240108_074101_YouTube.jpg

Besides that, the show is looking pretty good. All projection lasers have been working for months now, trampoline stunts also. Dragon reliability is pretty good as of recent.
Only part that really needs work are the LED lights on the steamboat as 3 rows are broken now. Also the colored flames during Malificient lift scene are still B-mode. Wonder if the original effect will ever return.

AJT607

Last night's show (1/7) was also missing Rafiki, had the old hag from Snow White in "B-Mode", and had a mishap with Mickey when he is wielding the sword against Maleficent in the finale sequence.

During the Lion King sequence, Rafiki was not present on the central mountain stage (where he has been located since the show reopened). You can see at 03:18:10 in the linked video below.

In addition, during the sequence when the Evil Queen performer was supposed to swap out with the Evil Hag performer, you can see that the performer stays the same - she just turns down her collar, takes off her crown, and wears a long "hag" wig that obscures her face. You can see at 03:30:30 in the linked video below.

Lastly, Brave Little Tailor Mickey got drenched during the finale sequence with the sword, which was also unusual. You can see that at 03:38:10 in the linked video above.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
Last night's show (1/7) was also missing Rafiki, had the old hag from Snow White in "B-Mode", and had a mishap with Mickey when he is wielding the sword against Maleficent in the finale sequence.

During the Lion King sequence, Rafiki was not present on the central mountain stage (where he has been located since the show reopened). You can see at 03:18:10 in the linked video below.

In addition, during the sequence when the Evil Queen performer was supposed to swap out with the Evil Hag performer, you can see that the performer stays the same - she just turns down her collar, takes off her crown, and wears a long "hag" wig that obscures her face. You can see at 03:30:30 in the linked video below.

Lastly, Brave Little Tailor Mickey got drenched during the finale sequence with the sword, which was also unusual. You can see that at 03:38:10 in the linked video above.

Old Hag and Rafiki are performed by the same CM (requires a smaller in height performer) so usually if Rafiki is missing during the Lion King segment in the beginning, it's almost given that they will run the B-mode for the Evil Queen transformation later on. Kinda neat tip imo.

And it's always funny when Mickey gets drenched because of the water and wind lol

BasiltheBatLord

I watched the 9:30 show on 1/6 and everything looked very good.

Only thing my untrained eye noticed was the dragon’s fire from the mouth didn’t connect all the way to the lake, not sure if that’s normal or maybe was put in place after the DL incident?

Brian

I watched the 9:30 show on 1/6 and everything looked very good.

Only thing my untrained eye noticed was the dragon’s fire from the mouth didn’t connect all the way to the lake, not sure if that’s normal or maybe was put in place after the DL incident?
The fireball was removed after a near-miss where it nearly hit the first couple rows of seating. It is unrelated to the Disneyland incident.

gerarar

Premium Member
As @jrhwdw mentioned, there was no Sorceror Mickey appearance on top of the mountain during last night's (1/8) show!

This is really super rare. Usually it's a case of the mountain lift not working. If it's weather/wind related, pyro would be also cut but none were cut last night, so leaning more into the lift being out of service.

It's hard to come across footage of this, so had to save it of course lol. Awesome to see the rare B-mode choreography of Tuxedo Mickey. It slightly differs from DL's B-mode choreography when their lift is broken, which happens a lot over there.

Timestamped livestreams:

Last edited:

bmr1591

I’m not sure if it was just my angle, but the projections last night were the clearest I’ve ever seen. If I didn’t know better, I’d have guessed they upgraded them. Night and day difference from the last time I saw the show (Tuesday).

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I’m not sure if it was just my angle, but the projections last night were the clearest I’ve ever seen. If I didn’t know better, I’d have guessed they upgraded them. Night and day difference from the last time I saw the show (Tuesday).
The quality of the water screens heavily depends on the wind that night so if it's really windy it's they won't be very clear and will be a lot harder to see. They also upgraded the projections during the 2022 update.

gerarar

Premium Member
There's been some major pyro changes in the finale.

The comets with mines have been replaced with larger comets with longer tails. This seems like the pyro/comets used in the previous version pre-Covid and before the 2022 version. Wonder if this is a "budget" cut or simply a change in pyro supplies.
1705282241817.png
1705282289531.png

(1/7 old pyro, 1/13 new pyro)
Not sure what I prefer, but the newer comets are brighter and "more" colorful in a way.

Here's a comparison video I made. The pyro change happened sometime in the past week, on either 1/9 or 1/10.

Last edited:

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
There's been some major pyro changes in the finale.

The comets with mines have been replaced with larger comets with longer tails. This seems like the pyro/comets used in the previous version pre-Covid and before the 2022 version. Wonder if this is a "budget" cut or simply a change in pyro supplies.
Not sure what I prefer, but the newer comets are brighter and "more" colorful in a way.

Here's a comparison video I made. The pyro change happened sometime in the past week, on either 1/9 or 1/10.

Interesting, I think I like the new comets better. More majestic.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Join me on an investigation... [TLDR]: They only introduced the mines with the return of the show.
Bear with me...
Who Framed Roger Rabbit Drink GIF

1999 - The Comets were as they are now (as of Jan 9 or 10):

And in 2005 as well:

And in 2011:

And in 2017 (thanks @marni1971):

And in 2020:

HOWEVER, when the show returned in 2022, it had the mines:

Therefore: It appears this change is a return to normalcy! Hurrah!

gerarar

Premium Member
Moana dropped the Heart of Te Fiti during her segment. Thought this was a pretty cool fail as the manual followspot stayed on her as she backtracked to pick up the prop.

Interesting thing to note are the followspots are on a timer, rather than controlled by the tech operating it, since it turned off before the CM could finish their run across the stage. The static lights still ran as normal even though no one was there on cue.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom