Disney’s Q2 (Jan/Feb/Mar) FY 2021 Earnings Results Webcast on Thursday, May 13, 4:30ET.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Today's report is a friendly reminder that streaming was always meant to be an insurance policy for Disney's core businesses (parks, TV and film) and that's exactly what we're seeing here. Streaming was never going to continue getting hot as the economy was reopening.

They’re not profiting off that...it’s a long game. They said that years ago and it hasn’t changed.
Didn’t stop bored brokers from pumping $100 a share into overvalue on the stock in the last 18 months though

I love river boat gambling.

you got to know when to hold em....know when to fold em

God I miss EISNER

FTFY
Hockey is still a thing?

When you’ve been to at least 1 game of the finals 6 times since 1990...and your team has take hardware in 5...it is very much a real thing

🐧

No they aren’t. The stock is down 1.6% in 2021 and getting hammered right now in after hours. The S&P 500 is up 8.2 percent in the same time period. So when you are running about 10% behind an S&P 500 index fund, that’s not going to make shareholders happy.

because it’s overvalued

plutofan15

In case you're wondering how far baseball's popularity has fallen, the new MLB deal will be only for Sunday night games and postseason/wild card games. ESPN won't air any more weekday games.
The key is that the games under the new contract will be exclusive to ESPN, they were not all exclusive under the current agreement. At least 2/3 of the games broadcast under the current agreement can also be broadcast by the team's regional broadcast networks. Also, there is increased content for ESPN+. This is the way of the future, more content to streaming and less to broadcast. I would bet several broadcast channels to be shutdown.

plutofan15

They’re not profiting off that...it’s a long game. They said that years ago and it hasn’t changed.
Didn’t stop bored brokers from pumping $100 a share into overvalue on the stock in the last 18 months though

I love river boat gambling.

you got to know when to hold em....know when to fold em

FTFY

When you’ve been to at least 1 game of the finals 6 times since 1990...and your team has take hardware in 5...it is very much a real thing

🐧

because it’s overvalued
Let's go Pens!!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I LOVE those people and hope they stay forever. I don't like mandatory mobile order but I really like that people can't hog up QS seating when they're not actually dining.
This. Actually had a PLEASANT experience at both Cosmic Ray's and Satuli Canteen this week because of the "bouncers" - no more campers taking up space just be in AC while their families ride rides.

Slpy3270

because it’s overvalued
That's the whole market in a nutshell. ing techbros.
The key is that the games under the new contract will be exclusive to ESPN, they were not all exclusive under the current agreement. At least 2/3 of the games broadcast under the current agreement can also be broadcast by the team's regional broadcast networks. Also, there is increased content for ESPN+. This is the way of the future, more content to streaming and less to broadcast. I would bet several broadcast channels to be shutdown.
Honestly I've been expecting ESPNNews, ESPN3 and ESPNU to close for a while now.

ElvisMickey

Disney's stock is down over $9 as of just a few minutes ago. They'll be increasing capacity, opening all of the restaurants and dropping the masks in the parks by noon :D. Kidding ha ha! But so far today, they're taking a bath.

Dranth

Disney's stock is down over $9 as of just a few minutes ago. They'll be increasing capacity, opening all of the restaurants and dropping the masks in the parks by noon :D. Kidding ha ha! But so far today, they're taking a bath.
I know you are joking but even if they did it wouldn't help much as parks returning to their former glory is already baked in at this point and they are going to find it hard to meet those expectations. If it does turn around and keep going up it is likely going to be because no one has anywhere else to put their money.

I dropped my position in DIS a while back because it really just seems WAY overvalued at this point. Hope I am wrong and it is nothing but 💲 for everyone who is still in but I just don’t see the value of late.

Lilofan

Long term hold is the way to go. The day traders buying and selling frequently won't last seeing what Disney will do.

disneygeek90

In case you're wondering how far baseball's popularity has fallen, the new MLB deal will be only for Sunday night games and postseason/wild card games. ESPN won't air any more weekday games.
In case you're legitimately interested, here's a bit of a breakdown as of why. It doesn't really have anything to do with popularity.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Give me 5 minutes.
AbleNauticalGodwit-size_restricted.gif

Ldno

I know you are joking but even if they did it wouldn't help much as parks returning to their former glory is already baked in at this point and they are going to find it hard to meet those expectations. If it does turn around and keep going up it is likely going to be because no one has anywhere else to put their money.

I dropped my position in DIS a while back because it really just seems WAY overvalued at this point. Hope I am wrong and it is nothing but 💲 for everyone who is still in but I just don’t see the value of late.
Even Kramer mentions to have faith in Disney but still this dip wasn’t as bad as June 24th of last year.

OvertheHorizon

I own a couple of hundred shares of Disney stock. I first bought when it was $99 and again at $116. It's currently down from its high of $200 in the past year, but still a good investment to hold for the long term.

I'm grateful every day that Disney got into the streaming business when they did. Imagine Disney stock in this past year if they hadn't.

Lilofan

It is strange I've played baseball for many years when I was young enjoyed the practices, games , workouts, bus rides to visiting team ballparks, watching my friends play however now that I'm older it is almost like a snooze fest to watch a MLB game on TV. One cool giveaway when at a MLB game many years ago was that it was bat night. All fans at the ballpark that day receive a free baseball bat. One aspect of MLB baseball that is very popular is spring training in FL. Fans visiting FL visiting WDW and watching a few games of their teams up close and personal in those small ballparks.

Slpy3270

I'm grateful every day that Disney got into the streaming business when they did. Imagine Disney stock in this past year if they hadn't.
It probably wouldn't be much different and may have cost a lot more jobs there given how video streaming is a money-losing business and you can't make cuts to a division you consider a "growth" division. Netflix is only valued ~$500 a share because idiot hedge funds and investors cannot see the dot-com/digital newspaper bubble-like economy streaming will soon create and crater. Netflix, Amazon, Disney and the like may all survive but see their positions diminished, HBO Max will only survive thanks to cable bundling (literally all their subs are through cable or third-party providers, ironically including Disney-owned Hulu) and services like Peacock, Tubi, Apple TV+ and Paramount+ will probably fail and disappear. There's a reason Sony isn't jumping into the streaming game; their deals with Netflix and Disney will bring in far more quarterly revenue than D+, Netflix and Prime Video will.

seascape

It probably wouldn't be much different and may have cost a lot more jobs there given how video streaming is a money-losing business and you can't make cuts to a division you consider a "growth" division. Netflix is only valued ~$500 a share because idiot hedge funds and investors cannot see the dot-com/digital newspaper bubble-like economy streaming will soon create and crater. Netflix, Amazon, Disney and the like may all survive but see their positions diminished, HBO Max will only survive thanks to cable bundling (literally all their subs are through cable or third-party providers, ironically including Disney-owned Hulu) and services like Peacock, Tubi, Apple TV+ and Paramount+ will probably fail and disappear. There's a reason Sony isn't jumping into the streaming game; their deals with Netflix and Disney will bring in far more quarterly revenue than D+, Netflix and Prime Video will.
Disney is losing money on Disney+. However, you do not realize how much more money Disney+ is paying Disney Studios for the programming. Netflix was only paying Disney $300 million a year for Disney Owned content. In order to determine if Disney+ is profitable for Disney, which it is, is to determine the revenue of disney plus $3.99 per month per subscriber which totals $414,960,000 a month. That is $4,979,520,000 a year. How much of that money is for operations and how much for the Studios? Disney is making money on streaming and lots of it. Profits and losses for each Division is subject the the corporate leadership of the company to allocate it but Disney would be losing money, not making money, if they were still under contract with Netflix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom