News 2021 Walt Disney Company Annual Meeting Of Shareholders

ppete1975

Actually, It is very good to have front line employees involved in operation decisions. They may not need to be involved in the data, but there is substantial use of their experiences. They know what works, what doesn't, and what short cuts they have created in order to do their job better. Any manager worth their paycheck knows that. Its called the "Whole Person Concept"

It has less to do with diversity as it does with being a cross functional team.
there need to be more Robert Allens and tom nabbes

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Isn't upper mtg brought in from outside companies to look big picture, to make changes, clean house as opposed to long time staff members that get promoted that get set in their ways or develop too close relationships with staff?
Typically...yes.

Disney has shown a lot of resistance to that Over the years.

Mmoore29

Bob neither fired her...nor announced a contract extension. It’s going to be an interesting year in the presidio either way
If she was going to be fired, he would've said so. And why would you announce a contract extension right now? There's no logical reason to do so until the actual contract is up or nearly so. Disney has a lot of irons in the fire, so all in due time.

Regardless, Kennedy is not going anywhere, and clearly the board and Walt Disney Studios is pleased with her leadership. The fact that Chapek said "we look forward to her leading the franchise and Lucasfilm forward in the years ahead" shows this quite clearly.

FantasiaMickey2000

Carano was saying that Republicans are being targeted simply for being Republican and that they are being treated like the Jews. That is not remotely the case. Especially when her post basically said "Germans didn't hate Jews until the Nazis came along, then they were brainwashed into going along with it." Anti-Semitism was rife within Germany well before Hitler rose to power, and he basically rode the wave that was already there and tapped into it. So when you ask, "how could so many people go along with it?", it's because it went along with the feelings they already had. Republicans are not being targeted in this manner, made to wear a badge that says what their beliefs are, stripped of their status and rights, and rounded up as dissidents and people to be exterminated. When people are being "targeted", they're being asked to be held accountable for their actions, especially if it's for fomenting hate, especially the Capitol insurrection, like Carano expressed sympathy for.

Pascal was saying that migrant children at the border being detained in camps was tantamount to when the Nazis would send their victims to the same. I personally would've said like the Trail of Tears and how the Cherokee Nation was treated, myself personally. It is very apt; and pointing out the way that Trump was courting fascism in America is something that many political observers and historians have actually observed and pointed out; this is a bipartisan truth that does not know political boundaries. Pascal was not saying "this why Democrats rule" or actively jockeying for that, he was just making an observation and letting the situation speak for itself, unlike Carano. The context between Pascal and Carano's statements is starkly different.

Besides, Carano's statement was very akin to the Roseanne situation; she charged into a minefield and did not know when to stop. She could've easily gotten away with the Twitter pronouns episode if she'd stayed quiet, but she had to follow it up with the Nazis statement, retweeting anti-Semitic images, mocking COVID protocols, and retweeting "the Clintons murdered Epstein" conspiracy theories. She flouted advice and kept poking the bear; any other employer would've done the same. Carano's situation is nothing like Pascal's statement, just like how Roseanne's comments and firing was nothing like James Gunn being unfairly canned.

And Disney should certainly move to be nonpartisan, however it has a hard time making that stick; not for leaning too far to the left, as has commonly been alleged, but the opposite. 51 percent of Disney's political donations go to Republicans, namely anti-abortion candidates; or at least they did until after January 6.
Thank you for the well thought out and informed post. I would just point out Pedro also posted a picture of a picture which had a confederate flag, nazi flag, and MAGA hat with the years 1865, 1945, and 2020 on them with Losers as the text. He’s making a direct comparison of equivalency between the 74,216,154 Americans who voted for Trump with people who wanted to keep human beings as slaves or exterminate races of people in concentration camps. That is not okay and is certainly not creating a welcome and inclusive environment. I know discussing politics on the internet doesn’t ever change anyone’s mind. I’ve appreciated the other replies I’ve gotten and just hope that people can understand why people of all races and genders and religions can feel unwelcome by the political comments and actions made by Disney employees and the company as a whole.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If she was going to be fired, he would've said so. And why would you announce a contract extension right now? There's no logical reason to do so until the actual contract is up or nearly so. Disney has a lot of irons in the fire, so all in due time.

Regardless, Kennedy is not going anywhere, and clearly the board and Walt Disney Studios is pleased with her leadership. The fact that Chapek said "we look forward to her leading the franchise and Lucasfilm forward in the years ahead" shows this quite clearly.

Keep it to the parks...this isn’t the thread to say what we all have said before.

And you might want to google what “clearly” means.

the.dreamfinder

As far as KK and Lucasfilm is concerned. Isn’t it interesting that they never, ever blame the Chief Executive that mandated a completely unrealistic May 2015 deadline in Fall 2012 that scarred off KK’s top choices, Favreau, Bird and Fincher, so EP VII could coincide with a certain someone’s intital retirement date?

Though she has to own killing Lucasarts and giving the game rights to SW to EA for 8 years, totally on her. But they’ve course corrected.

doctornick

So, not directly related, but not sure where to put it...

It's exciting news that Epic Universe is back on and construction has started (or will start shortly?). Obviously, that's a few years away - I've seen early 2025 as an estimated date - but it's coming sooner or later. Given the construction timelines we see for Disney, that means if they want to open something around the same time to counter Uni's play, they'd have to plan/approve/start building in the next year or two.

I can't image that they'd let Uni open up a new park without doing something in response. I hope this lights a fire under Disney, especially as the pandemic winds down and DL is slated to open in the near future. I wish we had a D23 this summer (as originally planned) which would probably be a time when they'd make some announcement.

I guess we'll see...

Phicinfan

So, not directly related, but not sure where to put it...

It's exciting news that Epic Universe is back on and construction has started (or will start shortly?). Obviously, that's a few years away - I've seen early 2025 as an estimated date - but it's coming sooner or later. Given the construction timelines we see for Disney, that means if they want to open something around the same time to counter Uni's play, they'd have to plan/approve/start building in the next year or two.

I can't image that they'd let Uni open up a new park without doing something in response. I hope this lights a fire under Disney, especially as the pandemic winds down and DL is slated to open in the near future. I wish we had a D23 this summer (as originally planned) which would probably be a time when they'd make some announcement.

I guess we'll see...
somewhat in jest but....
Isn't 2025 when they will finally open Tron and Guardians and such.... ????
Just sayin

Crunchie9

My kid is getting older (10) and he LOVES Jurassic Park... I told him I would take him to Universal, but only when he’s older because it’s a “big boy ride” park. I said once he goes with me to Canada’s Wonderland and goes on those coasters I would take him to Universal.

he cried on Everest Dec 2019

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I actually appreciated Chapek's response to the right wing question.
1615387513154.png

AnonymousStitch

When mentioning the 100 titles per year, I bet some of these unannounced titles would involve ones that were requested by customers such as new seasons or revivals of certain shows and sequels to movies (animated and live action). You never know.

the.dreamfinder

ABC lost the NFL to Amazon mondays
That’s not even remotely true. Amazon now has exclusive rights to Thursday nights.

Disney’s problem here is they’re paying more than anyone else and they’re only getting two Super Bowls, everyone else got three, and they didn’t get Sunday Ticket to drive people to ESPN+.

Crunchie9

That’s not even remotely true. Amazon now has exclusive rights to Thursday nights.

Disney’s problem here is they’re paying more than anyone else and they’re only getting two Super Bowls, everyone else got three, and they didn’t get Sunday Ticket to drive people to ESPN+.
Thats right, Thursdays. My bad.

The NHL rights is very good though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom