News 2021 Walt Disney Company Annual Meeting Of Shareholders

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kathleen Kennedy does suck though, and Favreau might be a genius in the vein of John Lasseter.

Bob neither fired her...nor announced a contract extension. It’s going to be an interesting year in the presidio either way

Even so, her leaving won’t change the core values and ideals of the company & brand.

Of Disney? No.

Of LFL?...more room for wiggle there.

Crunchie9

You mean you don't Get Rich when you can Enjoy Savings of up to 60%* at Aulani®, A Disney Resort & Spa?

*Savings based on the non-discounted price for the same room for stays most nights from 11/1/20 through 3/11/21 (block out dates: 11/23/20 – 11/27/20; 12/22/20 – 1/3/21). Book from 9/25/20 through 3/9/21. Travel must be completed by 3/12/21.

Boards of Directors don't make operations decisions.
They set the strategic direction of the organization and are responsible for the entire culture of the corporation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly curious, which piece? Gina posted on Twitter comparing what left wing Americans are doing to Nazi Germany and got fired. Pedro has on multiple occasions compared what right wing Americans are doing to Nazi Germany and Disney celebrates him. How does that show integrity and values instead of an overt political bias?

Not to go “sophomore year” here...but one is 100% wrong assessment of history and the political spectrum. The other is highly exaggerated and not quite applicable.

Disney’s leanings and history are known.

I’m not advocating either...it is what it is.

Brer Oswald

On the one side: Disney is very “top heavy”...so targeting is more right than you think.

On the other...there’s always a scapegoat that entertainment fans focus on...right or not.
But even if you target the head and get rid of them, Jimmy from PR or Paulie from Marketing are going to get moved up, and they will just become the next Bob Jr.’s. The standard company philosophies aren’t going to change unless they poach someone from outside to lead the company (like Eisner and Wells). Or if the majority of the consumers get tired of the company and “vote with their wallet”. But you know that, as long as there’s a new Baseball Shaped Droid or a singing princess, the latter option is just not going to happen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But even if you target the head and get rid of them, Jimmy from PR or Paulie from Marketing are going to get moved up, and they will just become the next Bob Jr.’s. The standard company philosophies aren’t going to change unless they poach someone from outside to lead the company (like Eisner and Wells). Or if the majority of the consumers get tired of the company and “vote with their wallet”. But you know that, as long as there’s a new Baseball Shaped Droid or a singing princess, the latter option is just not going to happen.

In the middle levels...sure. But upper management tends to be more Hired gun...or bought in through acquisitions. Even at Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They set the strategic direction of the organization and are responsible for the entire culture of the corporation.

The board doesn’t really set the agenda or direction anymore. Thank Eisner. The last “activists” boards left decades ago. The ceo determines everything and that ceo reports directly to the institutional investor at Disney.

It’s one of the problems with no True VP (COO) and a CEO/chairman setup

Disney Analyst

Honestly curious, which piece? Gina posted on Twitter comparing what left wing Americans are doing to Nazi Germany and got fired. Pedro has on multiple occasions compared what right wing Americans are doing to Nazi Germany and Disney celebrates him. How does that show integrity and values instead of an overt political bias?

I was mostly thinking of what he said about values and inclusion. A lot of times there are certain groups who work to make minorities feel lesser or unwelcome. It's nice to know the company believes that those minorities (racial, gender, sexual, etc.) are welcome and seen, and that those are just common sense values.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was mostly thinking of what he said about values and inclusion. A lot of times it's the 'right' making many groups feel lesser or unwelcome. It's nice to know the company believes that minorities (racial, gender, sexual, etc.) are welcome and seen, and that those are just common sense values.
1615318628385.jpeg

Brer Oswald

Yes...but chapek didn’t start at Disney...

Iger was a throw in when Eisner wanted to buy his old Tv station...

My point is the that nobody is left that scooped ice cream and more and more will h outsiders as time moves on
Neither was mine. I more so meant the managerial positions of the multitude of departments in the company.

FantasiaMickey2000

I was mostly thinking of what he said about values and inclusion. A lot of times there are certain groups who work to make minorities feel lesser or unwelcome. It's nice to know the company believes that those minorities (racial, gender, sexual, etc.) are welcome and seen, and that those are just common sense values.
Right, I don’t think people disagree there. The post that got Gina fired didn’t have anything to do with those items. The question was when a right leaning lead actress made a improper political post she gets fired, but when a left leaning led actor makes the exact same posts he is not, how is that not showing explicit bias and telling right wing people they are not welcome in your company? The Walt Disney Company has basically told half the country they are lesser people and not welcome at their company. It doesn’t show diversity and inclusion of thought and outlook on life. This is shown repeatedly at the company from how Jimmy Kimmel runs his late night show, from what is said by the majority of the hosts on the View, to having the Clinton White House communications director being a co-anchor of Good Morning America, etc. His answer saying the company isn’t left leaning is nonsense and he knows it. The Company doesn’t strive to include any Republican voters in this country in their entertainment offerings and has shown they will fire them if they work for them.

Disney Analyst

Right, I don’t think people disagree there. The post that got Gina fired didn’t have anything to do with those items. The question was when a right leaning lead actress made a improper political post she gets fired, but when a left leaning led actor makes the exact same posts he is not, how is that not showing explicit bias and telling right wing people they are not welcome in your company? The Walt Disney Company has basically told half the country they are lesser people and not welcome at their company. It doesn’t show diversity and inclusion of thought and outlook on life. This is shown repeatedly at the company from how Jimmy Kimmel runs his late night show, from what is said by the majority of the hosts on the View, to having the Clinton White House communications director being a co-anchor of Good Morning America, etc. His answer saying the company isn’t left leaning is nonsense and he knows it. The Company doesn’t strive to include any Republican voters in this country in their entertainment offerings and has shown they will fire them if they work for them.

Or Gina had a history of posting things against the companies values, and that was the final straw that broke the camels back? Especially as she didn't really cease doing so, after likely being spoken to about it.

Regardless it is done. She fulfilled her contract and was not renewed. I am sure she will be just fine.

FantasiaMickey2000

Or Gina had a history of posting things against the companies values, and that was the final straw that broke the camels back? Especially as she didn't really cease doing so, after likely being spoken to about it.

Regardless it is done. She fulfilled her contract and was not renewed. I am sure she will be just fine.
Thanks for your perspective. Here’s to hoping there aren’t many more events in the future which even make these valid topics of discussion in an investor call.

Disney Analyst

Thanks for your perspective. Here’s to hoping there aren’t many more events in the future which even make these valid topics of discussion in an investor call.

And thank you for yours, I hope I am not being abrasive. I don't intend.

I am tired of the Gina conversation in general and was just trying to say I appreciated Chapek's response to the question, as corporate as it was. It makes me feel valued (even though they just want my $$$).

EPCOTCenterLover

I agree with so much of this, but I'm not sure about the last two sentences. Good stuff to think about!

Lilofan

In the middle levels...sure. But upper management tends to be more Hired gun...or bought in through acquisitions. Even at Disney.
Isn't upper mtg brought in from outside companies to look big picture, to make changes, clean house as opposed to long time staff members that get promoted that get set in their ways or develop too close relationships with staff?

Mmoore29

Carano was saying that Republicans are being targeted simply for being Republican and that they are being treated like the Jews. That is not remotely the case. Especially when her post basically said "Germans didn't hate Jews until the Nazis came along, then they were brainwashed into going along with it." Anti-Semitism was rife within Germany well before Hitler rose to power, and he basically rode the wave that was already there and tapped into it. So when you ask, "how could so many people go along with it?", it's because it went along with the feelings they already had. Republicans are not being targeted in this manner, made to wear a badge that says what their beliefs are, stripped of their status and rights, and rounded up as dissidents and people to be exterminated. When people are being "targeted", they're being asked to be held accountable for their actions, especially if it's for fomenting hate, especially the Capitol insurrection, like Carano expressed sympathy for.

Pascal was saying that migrant children at the border being detained in camps was tantamount to when the Nazis would send their victims to the same. I personally would've said like the Trail of Tears and how the Cherokee Nation was treated, myself personally. It is very apt; and pointing out the way that Trump was courting fascism in America is something that many political observers and historians have actually observed and pointed out; this is a bipartisan truth that does not know political boundaries. Pascal was not saying "this why Democrats rule" or actively jockeying for that, he was just making an observation and letting the situation speak for itself, unlike Carano. The context between Pascal and Carano's statements is starkly different.

Besides, Carano's statement was very akin to the Roseanne situation; she charged into a minefield and did not know when to stop. She could've easily gotten away with the Twitter pronouns episode if she'd stayed quiet, but she had to follow it up with the Nazis statement, retweeting anti-Semitic images, mocking COVID protocols, and retweeting "the Clintons murdered Epstein" conspiracy theories. She flouted advice and kept poking the bear; any other employer would've done the same. Carano's situation is nothing like Pascal's statement, just like how Roseanne's comments and firing was nothing like James Gunn being unfairly canned.

And Disney should certainly move to be nonpartisan, however it has a hard time making that stick; not for leaning too far to the left, as has commonly been alleged, but the opposite. 51 percent of Disney's political donations go to Republicans, namely anti-abortion candidates; or at least they did until after January 6.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom