News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

Tom P.

An element of racism is the balance of power. If every race was on equal footing in our society than your argument makes a lot more sense. However, until we get to that point it's specious at best.
The definition of racism has nothing to do with the balance of power. That is an argument that has been invented to condemn the racism of one group of people while excusing that of another. There is no question that there are differences in terms of which types of racism have been institutionalized or formalized. But whether you have power to affect someone or not through racism does not change whether or not one is racist.

RSoxNo1

The definition of racism has nothing to do with the balance of power. That is an argument that has been invented to condemn the racism of one group of people while excusing that of another. There is no question that there are differences in terms of which types of racism have been institutionalized or formalized. But whether you have power to affect someone or not through racism does not change whether or not one is racist.
Let me know how history bears out on this.

To be less condescending, no doubt the term racism has evolved as we've become more educated on what is and isn't acceptable. It's why I'm very much against retroactive outrage. Things that weren't as highly criticized a decade ago would end your career today. It's a moving target and all races need to be willing to have a dialogue.

SirWillow

Don't know if anyone is interested or not, but posted a video on my YouTube channel yesterday about this. It's very hard to be able to say everything adequately and clearly sometimes when you're just trying to respond to other posts, but the video allowed me to dig in a bit more and express my thoughts about it a bit clearer I think.

Brer Oswald

Let me know how history bears out on this.

To be less condescending, no doubt the term racism has evolved as we've become more educated on what is and isn't acceptable. It's why I'm very much against retroactive outrage. Things that weren't as highly criticized a decade ago would end your career today. It's a moving target and all races need to be willing to have a dialogue.
You can’t really change the definition of a word. You can create new words or add terms, like “Systemic Racism”, which I believe is what you were referring to. And I agree that it exists, and it’s a problem. But there’s a separate term, use it. Why oversimplify a complicated topic?

RSoxNo1

You can’t really change the definition of a word. You can create new words or add terms, like “Systemic Racism”, which I believe is what you were referring to. And I agree that it exists, and it’s a problem. But there’s a separate term, use it. Why oversimplify a complicated topic?
The definition of racism is literally changing in the dictionary due to the changes and understanding of society.

Brer Oswald

The definition of racism is literally changing in the dictionary due to the changes and understanding of society.
So then what do we say to when referring to the “old” definition?

Redefining it to a trump card when we lose an online argument diminishes the seriousness of actual racism.

If you disagree, don’t engage with my post and move on.

SirWillow

That is awesome, and long overdue. It's good to see them operating with their corporate cultural statements in mind.

It's still not really an example of the 5th key as this is on the corporate and product line level, not the in park CM's. But still good to see overall.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Statement from Josh D'Amaro -

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome.”

"Walt Disney spoke these words during the dedication of the Disneyland Resort in 1955. Today, more than 65 years later, they continue to inspire us – and remind us that the magic we make must include everyone.

It’s important to me to share how we’re creating a place where everyone is welcome and taking action to create meaningful change.
We want our guests to see their own backgrounds and traditions reflected in the stories, experiences and products they encounter in their interactions with Disney. And we want our cast members – and future cast members – to feel a sense of belonging at work.
That means cultivating an environment where all people feel welcomed and appreciated for their unique life experiences, perspectives and culture. Where we celebrate allyship and support for each other. And where diverse views and ideas are sought after as critical contributions towards our collective success.

But as with everything we do, this starts with actively listening, learning, and working with our cast and guests to imagine the possibilities.

In 2019, we actively solicited input from our cast members from all over the world – to bring a greater focus to inclusivity and belonging for our cast. They brought forward more than 100 ideas, including one I’d like to share with all of you today.

Every Disney Parks cast member is familiar with our longstanding tradition of The Four Keys – Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency – which have guided our approach to guest service for more than 65 years. The Four Keys are one of the first things that cast members learn about when they join Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, and they are regularly reinforced throughout their tenure. Each cast member is asked to use The Four Keys as the blueprint for the decisions they make during the workday and the approach they bring to their interactions with others. Cast members around the world know them by heart and live by them in their roles every day as they create amazing experiences for our guests.

And when we asked our cast how we could better cultivate a culture of belonging, they suggested the addition of a fifth key: the key of Inclusion. Like The Four Keys before them, The 5 Keys – with Inclusion at the heart – will continue to guide us as we interact with guests, collaborate together, create the next generation of Disney products and experiences, and make critical decisions about the future of our business.

Inclusion is essential to our culture and leads us forward as we continue to realize our rich legacy of engaging storytelling, exceptional service, and Disney magic.

We’re bringing the spirit of the Inclusion Key to life across our business. We’re reimagining our attractions to be more inclusive, like upcoming enhancements to Jungle Cruise and new adventures with Princess Tiana. We’re celebrating the diverse and inspiring stories of our cast and fans with creator collaborations and exciting experiences, like The Soul of Jazz exhibit at Walt Disney World Resort.
We’re also looking at ways we can support and uplift our communities through programs like our Disney Dreamers Academy mentorship programs, and we’re including more diverse companies in our supply chain. In fact, we’re looking at ways to increase our support for diverse suppliers in a big way – we’ll share more details on this commitment in the future.

Our goal is also to have more representation and accountability across our organization, starting with my own leadership team and extending throughout our business worldwide, through tools and mentorship and learning programs that create awareness and foster leadership accountability.

We’re looking at other traditions, too – including the policies that guide how our cast members show up for work. Our new approach provides greater flexibility with respect to forms of personal expression surrounding gender-inclusive hairstyles, jewelry, nail styles, and costume choices; and allowing appropriate visible tattoos. We’re updating them to not only remain relevant in today’s workplace, but also enable our cast members to better express their cultures and individuality at work.

Moving forward, we believe our cast, who are at the center of the magic that lives in all our experiences, can provide the best of Disney’s legendary guest service when they have more options for personal expression – creating richer, more personal and more engaging experiences with our guests.

This is just the beginning as we continue to work toward a world where we all belong – including a more diverse and inclusive Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. There’s more to do, but we’re committed to listening, learning and making meaningful improvements.
The world is changing, and we will change with it, and continue to be a source of joy and inspiration for all the world. We’ll never stop working to make sure that Disney is a welcoming place for all. I’m excited about where we’re headed, and we’ll have more to share soon. Thank you for joining us on this journey."

Brer Oswald

They almost had me before the blatant narcissism about their IPs being “cultural stories”.

But yeah, this is a necessary change, and a long time coming. Just hard to believe the sincerity when everything is a corporate ad.

Disney Analyst

They almost had me before the blatant narcissism about their IPs being “cultural stories”.

But yeah, this is a necessary change, and a long time coming. Just hard to believe the sincerity when everything is a corporate ad.

I fully get what you are saying, but also... Disney is a mega corporation, everything they do is corporate, a corporate decision. Regardless if it's also for the greater good.

Brer Oswald

I fully get what you are saying, but also... Disney is a mega corporation, everything they do is corporate, a corporate decision. Regardless if it's also for the greater good.
Sure. But also expect the fans who have strong morals to point it out, rather than just give them undying praise.

The undying praise is why they will continue to exploit stuff like this.

Magenta Panther

Statement from Josh D'Amaro -

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome.”

"Walt Disney spoke these words during the dedication of the Disneyland Resort in 1955. Today, more than 65 years later, they continue to inspire us – and remind us that the magic we make must include everyone.

It’s important to me to share how we’re creating a place where everyone is welcome and taking action to create meaningful change.
We want our guests to see their own backgrounds and traditions reflected in the stories, experiences and products they encounter in their interactions with Disney. And we want our cast members – and future cast members – to feel a sense of belonging at work.
That means cultivating an environment where all people feel welcomed and appreciated for their unique life experiences, perspectives and culture. Where we celebrate allyship and support for each other. And where diverse views and ideas are sought after as critical contributions towards our collective success.

But as with everything we do, this starts with actively listening, learning, and working with our cast and guests to imagine the possibilities.

In 2019, we actively solicited input from our cast members from all over the world – to bring a greater focus to inclusivity and belonging for our cast. They brought forward more than 100 ideas, including one I’d like to share with all of you today.

Every Disney Parks cast member is familiar with our longstanding tradition of The Four Keys – Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency – which have guided our approach to guest service for more than 65 years. The Four Keys are one of the first things that cast members learn about when they join Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, and they are regularly reinforced throughout their tenure. Each cast member is asked to use The Four Keys as the blueprint for the decisions they make during the workday and the approach they bring to their interactions with others. Cast members around the world know them by heart and live by them in their roles every day as they create amazing experiences for our guests.

And when we asked our cast how we could better cultivate a culture of belonging, they suggested the addition of a fifth key: the key of Inclusion. Like The Four Keys before them, The 5 Keys – with Inclusion at the heart – will continue to guide us as we interact with guests, collaborate together, create the next generation of Disney products and experiences, and make critical decisions about the future of our business.

Inclusion is essential to our culture and leads us forward as we continue to realize our rich legacy of engaging storytelling, exceptional service, and Disney magic.

We’re bringing the spirit of the Inclusion Key to life across our business. We’re reimagining our attractions to be more inclusive, like upcoming enhancements to Jungle Cruise and new adventures with Princess Tiana. We’re celebrating the diverse and inspiring stories of our cast and fans with creator collaborations and exciting experiences, like The Soul of Jazz exhibit at Walt Disney World Resort.
We’re also looking at ways we can support and uplift our communities through programs like our Disney Dreamers Academy mentorship programs, and we’re including more diverse companies in our supply chain. In fact, we’re looking at ways to increase our support for diverse suppliers in a big way – we’ll share more details on this commitment in the future.

Our goal is also to have more representation and accountability across our organization, starting with my own leadership team and extending throughout our business worldwide, through tools and mentorship and learning programs that create awareness and foster leadership accountability.

We’re looking at other traditions, too – including the policies that guide how our cast members show up for work. Our new approach provides greater flexibility with respect to forms of personal expression surrounding gender-inclusive hairstyles, jewelry, nail styles, and costume choices; and allowing appropriate visible tattoos. We’re updating them to not only remain relevant in today’s workplace, but also enable our cast members to better express their cultures and individuality at work.

Moving forward, we believe our cast, who are at the center of the magic that lives in all our experiences, can provide the best of Disney’s legendary guest service when they have more options for personal expression – creating richer, more personal and more engaging experiences with our guests.

This is just the beginning as we continue to work toward a world where we all belong – including a more diverse and inclusive Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. There’s more to do, but we’re committed to listening, learning and making meaningful improvements.
The world is changing, and we will change with it, and continue to be a source of joy and inspiration for all the world. We’ll never stop working to make sure that Disney is a welcoming place for all. I’m excited about where we’re headed, and we’ll have more to share soon. Thank you for joining us on this journey."

That there's a choice piece of long-winded self-serving palaver. :p No doubt that whenever folks are pondering whether to pay high prices for fewer services at Disney parks, inclusion, diversity and representation will be the clincher. Hoo boy.

Brer Oswald

That there's a choice piece of long-winded self-serving palaver. :p No doubt that whenever folks are pondering whether to pay high prices for fewer services at Disney parks, inclusion, diversity and representation will be the clincher. Hoo boy.
That’s my biggest issue. It’s self-serving, and abundantly clear. Yet, people don’t care because the meat and potatoes is what they want to see.

You can appreciate the what and still question the why.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I thought maybe that's what that meant but I didn't understand the term "gender-inclusive". Was there any mention of trans cast members? Seems like they should have addressed that.

<shrug> They have a choice of what's allowable for anyone self-identifying as male, female, or non-binary, I would guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom