News New Park Hours...

HansGruber

So who is paying current ticket prices for reduced hours and reduced attractions/entertainment?

What a joke.
I mean, Disney has been doing this for decades and people keep showing up!

I remember MK being routinely open until 12 am and all rides were available for EMH.
Now, I'm chastised on this board for complaining about the good old days.

How is the current situation any different?!

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
MNSSHP is still on the schedule. It's easy enough to cancel closer to event dates. If they can don't safely and profit enough it'd be silly to not have the event as a second step of something familiar. For a while it could be the only way to see MK after dark, and that's both sad and what marketing dreams are made of.

Again speculating here, but F&W sounds like a headache with social distancing requirements. 1) I can't imagine booth lines working that well. 2) while it could work with lower capacities, they won't get near the same volume of sales that it might not be worth specialty booth expenses. 3) The function, drawing locals and guests to EPCOT in a "low" season just might not be needed when Disney may already have too many guests on the books. Maybe WS restaurants could run more specials and/or some serve past favorites, but the traditional F&W festival has so many question marks that it may not be a reasonable expense for a potentially modest revenue bump.

peter11435

I mean, Disney has been doing this for decades and people keep showing up!

I remember MK being routinely open until 12 am and all rides were available for EMH.
Now, I'm chastised on this board for complaining about the good old days.

How is the current situation any different?!
I remember back in the early 90’s when MK closed at 6 or 7 with no fireworks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you remember when SSE was in its prime? Unless there was a mechanical issue, that standby line ALWAYS moved. There were still large lines but moved. In today's FP+ world, its a cluster.
I’ve a video I shot in the last week of June 1990. Peak season. EPCOT Center was open 9am-11pm. For everyone. And for a lot less money than today.

But anyway, I shot some shots of underneath the building with the queue foreground. The regular switchbacks were in use plus roped versions down the side (no need for permanent switch backs down the side since an omnimover can handle crowds if they move steadily). The lines criss cross the screen - and they all keep on moving. No one is stood still despite the overflow having to be used.

trainplane3

I’ve a video I shot in the last week of June 1990. Peak season. EPCOT Center was open 9am-11pm. For everyone. And for a lot less money than today.

But anyway, I shot some shots of underneath the building with the queue foreground. The regular switchbacks were in use plus roped versions down the side (no need for permanent switch backs down the side since an omnimover can handle crowds if they move steadily). The lines criss cross the screen - and they all keep on moving. No one is stood still despite the overflow having to be used.
Similarly, aren't the pictures/videos of Imaginations (V1) line coming out of the building, zig-zagging in front and then continuing down towards CC only about a half hour wait then? I'd guess that'd be nearly 2 hours nowadays.

The wonders of no FP on a omnimover type ride.

SJN1279

Anyone else over the term "social distancing".

Hopefully the virus mutating into a less aggressive form is true, and we are back to the "regular normal" sooner than later.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Similarly, aren't the pictures/videos of Imaginations (V1) line coming out of the building, zig-zagging in front and then continuing down towards CC only about a half hour wait then? I'd guess that'd be nearly 2 hours nowadays.

The wonders of no FP on a omnimover type ride.
I can’t comment on how long the queue was, but I stood in it the same trip in 1990. Overflow down to the restrooms and back and back and back. And then inside. And again I’ve video that I shot showing it just kept moving forward.

Lest we forget, legacy Fastpass was installed then removed from the Haunted Mansion since it was operationally inefficient.

Kevin_W

Anyone else over the term "social distancing".

Hopefully the virus mutating into a less aggressive form is true, and we are back to the "regular normal" sooner than later.

I'd be fine with just calling it "distancing", I'm not sure where the "social" part comes in in most contexts. We have signs at work reminding you to "social distance" in the restroom. The restroom is not a social place!

trainplane3

Can anyone explain why Disneyland keeps getting long hours and MK doesn't? I think that they still go to 1 am or 12 am in the summer right?
DL is mainly locally driven. WDW is mainly out of state/international. If DL started closing at 9pm, most visitors would just say "I'll be back tomorrow since I'm only 45 mins away". Meanwhile WDW visitors are typically locked into their grand vacation 6+ months out and want more time out of it so they'll pay the $110 ticket price to get 4 hours with "no lines".

I think I worded that right?

I'll never forget the few times I was in MK till 3am. It was awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom