News Phil Holmes Retiring in August

peter11435

If Holmes really didn't ask for it directly, the portrait becomes telling of not just managerial superiority complexes but also of a toxic rear end kissing culture in WDI.
Thats really not the only option.

Is that your takeaway from Joe Rohde being featured in the haunted mansion? or Joe Lanzisero being in Roger Rabbit cartoon spin? what about the windows on Main Street? Castaway Cay signage, haunted mansion tombstones...

They’ve done these sort of tributes for years.

The Empress Lilly

Thats really not the only option.

Is that your takeaway from Joe Rohde being featured in the haunted mansion? or Joe Lanzisero being in Roger Rabbit cartoon spin? what about the windows on Main Street? Castaway Cay signage, haunted mansion tombstones...

They’ve done these sort of tributes for years.
Yes, fair points.

Frankly I also find the big Baxter portrait in Thunder a bit much. 2010s Disney. Although Baxter, too, is both an aimiable man and a vain one who knows how to work corporate culture and sell himself.

Tributes easily turn into vanity. Naming the trains and ships, MS windows, using relatives as models - these retain an air of restraint. The Empress Lilly takes Lillian Disney's name, but there's no lifesize statue of her in front.

I'm not sure where, if at all, there is a line. Maybe a matter of subjective taste.

Lilofan

Reputation is earned based upon how you consistently act and behave. It's easier to "put on a face" for a guest or event. If someone has a negative reputation, it's because it was earned...As it was in this case over a lengthy career. Likewise, someone like Dan Cockerell has a very positive reputation with both cast members and visitors alike, because he earned it through his consistent positive actions and kind words.
Cockerell retired at 49 to begin his consulting business in which he travels the world as a motivational speaker. He should have kept working.

Animaniac93-98

Tributes easily turn into vanity. Naming the trains and ships, MS windows, using relatives as models - these retain an air of restraint. The Empress Lilly takes Lillian Disney's name, but there's no lifesize statue of her in front.

In hindsight, it's surprising WDI hasn't put up a life-size bronze statue of Lilly somewhere on Disney property a la Walt and Roy.

Not that I'm suggesting they should, it's just the kind of (literal) corporate myth building they'd do.

TrojanUSC

Lee Cockerell, Dan’s father, was one of the main architects in the watering down of Walt Disney World.

Lee's a really nice guy and did a lot of good in terms of cast empowerment and some other things.

What he did not do well was a lot of the homogenization across property, which basically watered down the restaurants, resorts and other guest facing areas from each having their own identity to just being kind of part of, essentially, a "chain."

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Yes, fair points.

Frankly I also find the big Baxter portrait in Thunder a bit much. 2010s Disney. Although Baxter, too, is both an aimiable man and a vain one who knows how to work corporate culture and sell himself.

I'm not sure where, if at all, there is a line. Maybe a matter of subjective taste.
I think there is a big difference when it is your coworker.

lazyboy97o

What do you mean?
I'm afraid the reference is lost on me.
Using the name or likeness of a fellow Imagineer versus an executive. A prominent example would be Joe Rhode as the model for Harrison Hightower. He wasn’t part of the Tower of Terror design team nor was he any sort of gatekeeper for projects at Tokyo DisneySEA. That’s how a lot of these things started, a name on something that would have one adds realism and using the name of someone you know is an easy way to have a name instead of pun or something else.

The Empress Lilly

Using the name or likeness of a fellow Imagineer versus an executive. A prominent example would be Joe Rhode as the model for Harrison Hightower. He wasn’t part of the Tower of Terror design team nor was he any sort of gatekeeper for projects at Tokyo DisneySEA. That’s how a lot of these things started, a name on something that would have one adds realism and using the name of someone you know is an easy way to have a name instead of pun or something else.
I do believe this is how Baxter's portrait came about too. A tribute decades later by a new generation. But I'm too lazy to look that up.

Beyond creatives, executives have tributes too. Precedents to Holmes' 'doggy syndrome' painting (doges too love to mark where they've been...) could be naming the Liberty Belle ship the Richard F. Irvine. Or Meg Crofton's MS window. I must confess I find the Irvine sign less grating than the Holmes and Crofton tributes, but I can't identify why. I hate to be found out as just a petty traditionalist, but not enough to invent an intellectually dishonest trivial distinction.

PuertoRekinSam

New vp is Jackie Swisher

Attachments

• 56D6B3A3-26AC-4BF3-BC6D-99CB532F4E2F.jpeg
    56D6B3A3-26AC-4BF3-BC6D-99CB532F4E2F.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 93

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom