Disney College Program for Fall Advantage Cancelled

RoyWalley

Disney doesn't really need them right now anyway with limited availability of guests to parks/resorts at this time and probably for the unforeseen future as the corona virus wrecks havoc over everything. Not a whole lot will be open for awhile @ WDW.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
CP program composed of more than 5K CP cast. With program not happening perhaps that is 5K current cast members saved for being potentially laid off?

Its labor that's not needed. Since guest-facing cast members bid for shifts, usually the DCP program members get the less desirable times such as the closing shifts. Since the parks are closing between 7 and 9 PM that's a shift that's eliminated for right now.

Magic Feather

The DCP has grown to become a giant staple of the WDW labor force due to the weird dynamic of the Central Florida labor force. Disney is full of a bunch of service roles that aren't really conducive to career building, really making it to where, once the best candidates were combed through, Disney was left to fill a lot of their roles with local teenagers/young adults and retirees. Both of these groups aren't exactly the most consistent, which is why Disney, after having their small version of the CP start in the late 70's, eventually grew the program into the behemoth it is today, so they could always have high availability of labor without relying on locals. The DCP is effectively why it's so rare to see Orlando high schoolers working at WDW as anything other than a lifeguard (which is comedically different to Universal and SeaWorld).

Now, the need for labor is greatly reduced, so by taking out the DCP, many more jobs will be spared than what would have been the case. (I highly doubt the next part will be the case, but as a hypothetical) if Disney managed to run through all of its backstaffing of FT, PT, and Seasonal, I'd expect we see a small resurgence of local hires before the DCP is restarted. Why? Because the DCP has grown into a machine with such intense marketing, that it is designed to produce a crazy number of applicants with a crazy number of hires. And I doubt Disney would want the publicity of the DCP getting ridiculously competitive.

JoeCamel

The DCP has grown to become a giant staple of the WDW labor force due to the weird dynamic of the Central Florida labor force. Disney is full of a bunch of service roles that aren't really conducive to career building, really making it to where, once the best candidates were combed through, Disney was left to fill a lot of their roles with local teenagers/young adults and retirees. Both of these groups aren't exactly the most consistent, which is why Disney, after having their small version of the CP start in the late 70's, eventually grew the program into the behemoth it is today, so they could always have high availability of labor without relying on locals. The DCP is effectively why it's so rare to see Orlando high schoolers working at WDW as anything other than a lifeguard (which is comedically different to Universal and SeaWorld).

Now, the need for labor is greatly reduced, so by taking out the DCP, many more jobs will be spared than what would have been the case. (I highly doubt the next part will be the case, but as a hypothetical) if Disney managed to run through all of its backstaffing of FT, PT, and Seasonal, I'd expect we see a small resurgence of local hires before the DCP is restarted. Why? Because the DCP has grown into a machine with such intense marketing, that it is designed to produce a crazy number of applicants with a crazy number of hires. And I doubt Disney would want the publicity of the DCP getting ridiculously competitive.
So can I get a 3 bdrm in Flamingo Crossings for $200 a month yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom