Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

celluloid

This is annoying me, only the B in Benelux is capitalised.

Italy imposed its own travel ban on flights to and from China on 31st January when they had 2 cases, it obviously didn’t work.

It does not mean it did not work, imagine if they did not. We don't know. 60 million people in the boot shaped country of that size and its resources and other countries who traveled to and from china is what made the situation what it is.

Phroobar

dff89d08b7bc3eef37516cfea1f90f34.png

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's the stats for Friday from across the pond. More double digit increases for Italy and Spain, and some big jumps for France, BeNeLux countries, the UK, etc. I'm also surprised by the mortality rate in Switzerland, a fabulously wealthy country.

Deaths Per One Million Citizens 3/27 - Total Global Deaths 26,945
Italy = (+15.0) 151 Deaths Per Million 🇮🇹
Spain = (+12) 106 Deaths Per Million 🇪🇸
Netherlands = (+5.5) 31.7 Deaths Per Million 🇳🇱
France = (+4.5) 29.8 Deaths Per Million 🇫🇷
Switzerland = (+4.9) 27.1 Deaths Per Million 🇨🇭
Belgium = (+5.0) 25.3 Deaths Per Million 🇧🇪
Luxembourg = (+10.1) 24.7 Deaths Per Million 🇱🇺
United Kingdom = (+2.7) 11.4 Deaths Per Million 🇬🇧
Denmark = (+1.9) 9.0 Deaths Per Million 🇩🇰
Sweden = (0.0) 9.0 Deaths Per Million 🇸🇪
United States = (+1.0) 4.7 Deaths Per Million 🇺🇸
Germany = (+0.9) 4.1 Deaths Per Million
🇩🇪

I replaced Iran with Sweden, because like Communist China the Iranian government numbers are just not trustworthy even though Iran's numbers were extremely high (it's likely even worse for them).

And in unrelated news, every time I put in that little Luxembourg flag I start craving a Pepsi.

Last edited:

Nirya

Germany has always been the big surprise for me. I’m not sure that they’re doing anything crazy in their response beyond actually taking the threat seriously from the start. I have to imagine there’s still a good amount of institutionalized understanding of getting through hard times since the Berlin Wall only fell 30+ years ago.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Not much of a surprise but DP&R has announced that DLR and WDW will remain closed indefinitely.

Not surprised. More surprised they took so long to announced. Also surprised they didn't furlough employees. I wonder if some DLR employees are wishing they were furloughed, thus making more than what they would make from Disney. I think it comes down to optics though. Unless Disney was able to secure ~$10-20 billion in bailout money.

We got an email today at work today about the possibility of furloughing some employees (I work for a European company doing consulting). I've been fortunate that I have a client who's intent on keeping us on board through the end of the year, though that email did shake me a bit. Wife and I had quick conversations and figured out if that were to happen that the unemployment (on steroids) would just be enough to cover our expenses each month. We'd obviously cancel DLR trip in May (which could still happen anyways if parks aren't reopened). Still, definitely a good time to look at everything and understand where you are financially in the event this continues (not going to be fun to be laid off in 3-4 months when the extra money potentially runs out).

I still think DLR re-opens mid-May. I just don't see how from an economical standpoint you can continue down this road going into the summer months. You're already going to be dealing with depressed crowds, but depressed crowds are better than no crowds (in most cases). I'm a proponent of the lock downs that have been happening because it gives our healthcare system a chance to prepare, but it seems like feet are dragging there as well, which is beyond disappointing.

Hopefully, we're closer to being out of this than not.

smooch

Not surprised. More surprised they took so long to announced. Also surprised they didn't furlough employees. I wonder if some DLR employees are wishing they were furloughed, thus making more than what they would make from Disney. I think it comes down to optics though. Unless Disney was able to secure ~$10-20 billion in bailout money.

We got an email today at work today about the possibility of furloughing some employees (I work for a European company doing consulting). I've been fortunate that I have a client who's intent on keeping us on board through the end of the year, though that email did shake me a bit. Wife and I had quick conversations and figured out if that were to happen that the unemployment (on steroids) would just be enough to cover our expenses each month. We'd obviously cancel DLR trip in May (which could still happen anyways if parks aren't reopened). Still, definitely a good time to look at everything and understand where you are financially in the event this continues (not going to be fun to be laid off in 3-4 months when the extra money potentially runs out).

I still think DLR re-opens mid-May. I just don't see how from an economical standpoint you can continue down this road going into the summer months. You're already going to be dealing with depressed crowds, but depressed crowds are better than no crowds (in most cases). I'm a proponent of the lock downs that have been happening because it gives our healthcare system a chance to prepare, but it seems like feet are dragging there as well, which is beyond disappointing.

Hopefully, we're closer to being out of this than not.

I keep seeing people estimating Mid-May and I really do hope that we can start to re open things by then but obviously it's up in the air because nobody knows for sure where we will be. From an economic standpoint, I definitely agree there's no way to continue these shutdowns that much longer, but I can still see this being a big problem at that point and seeing the government to urge people not to reopen. I am curious about what's going to be the catalyst that starts everything opening back up, whether it be an announcement from a government official about re opening or if some companies just take matters into their own hands and start re opening and seeing others follow suit. It is daunting knowing that that means we're going to keep living like this for over a month and a half, but obviously I am doing my part to stay healthy and prevent the spread because I understand this is very serious and need to limit my ability to catch / transmit the virus as much as possible. Still though, it's all just so crazy to me, I know some people have said they feel comfort in knowing that we are all taking it one step at a time, that we are all in the same boat of not knowing what tomorrow will bring, but that just makes me more nervous. I wish there were people that had an idea of what was going to happen even if we didn't know, I feel more comfortable knowing there's a knowledgeable expert to help with the situation. Oh well, I need to use the advice given to me from my last post and work on meditating and blocking all thoughts for a period of time and just work on focusing on the now. Maybe I'll do an extra long yoga session, or maybe I'll play some VR too, those seem to be my best escapes. When I play games on my computer or Switch I still have my side monitor up and watch YouTube and it still comes up in videos not related to the virus, but when I play VR I can only focus on what's going on around me. And obviously with yoga I am focused on the exercise itself and not trying to worry about other things.

EDIT: I also just heard back from my friend who works at Disneyland that recently came back here to be with her family, and she was saying after she quarantines for 2 weeks she wants to try and get a job at a coffee place near here that is actually surprisingly hiring right now because she won't be getting paid after April 18th and she isn't expecting Disneyland to reopen for a considerable amount of time and she needs to continue making money. I just thought that was interesting, like I know we are all expecting Disneyland to stay closed for a while, but to hear that she has temporarily come home and is quarantining for two weeks and then hoping to get a job, that just shows how long she feels the parks are going to remain closed. I am interested in how they will handle reopening the parks, will DLR be first then WDW, and so on? Will WDW only open certain parks like Magic Kingdom first, or will they open all of the parks at once? I know these questions have been pondered on before and nobody including Disney knows what the situation will be, but I just find it really interesting to think about that stuff. After reading the article posted by @Darkbeer1 about Disney losing $3.4 billion from the parks being closed, we know costs are going to be cut, but I am fairly confident it will affect the opening process. I can't see them announcing a magic date where the parks will all open and everything will be running as if nothing happened.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Does your friend understand how Unemployment works.

The waiting period is waived and she will get between $50 to $450 per week based on her wages, and then an extra $600 a week from the Feds. If she gets another job, she will lose those benefits.

Mouse Trap

The waiting period is waived and she will get between $50 to $450 per week based on her wages, and then an extra $600 a week from the Feds. If she gets another job, she will lose those benefits.

Most CM’s would be in a better place financially if they were furloughed. No clue what the average salary is for a CM, but I’m quite sure it’s below the tax-free $1000/week they’d get from unemployment on steroids.

I think Disney will make a run at some stimulus money though, so it looks a lot better if they haven’t cut payroll yet.

smooch

I'll let her know about that. We are only 20 and this is her first full time job out of high school / in college, and nowhere in either of those have they taught us how unemployment works so honestly I and I am guessing she does not really know how unemployment works. I'll definitely tell her to look into it and I myself will look into it but as of right now I only work part time and am still employed and getting paid even though I'm not actually going in on my days scheduled.

Darkbeer1

FYI, while they won't taxes out currently, Unemployment payments are taxable when doing your return, both Federal and in most states. California does state Unemployment is non-taxable on its state return.

Might be a big surprise to many next year.....

Darkbeer1

I'll let her know about that. We are only 20 and this is her first full time job out of high school / in college, and nowhere in either of those have they taught us how unemployment works so honestly I and I am guessing she does not really know how unemployment works. I'll definitely tell her to look into it and I myself will look into it but as of right now I only work part time and am still employed and getting paid even though I'm not actually going in on my days scheduled.

I just wanted to give you a heads up.

In California, you can also claim it for reduced hours, under certain situations.

The one week waiting period is currently being waived due to COVID-19.

Also, if you quit,, you are not eligible for it.

Sailor310

Aren't there only so many months of unemployment benefits available? So if the the friend could get a job at the coffee shop, wouldn't it be better to save the benefits for when they're really needed?

Nirya

FYI, while they won't taxes out currently, Unemployment payments are taxable when doing your return, both Federal and in most states. California does state Unemployment is non-taxable on its state return.

Might be a big surprise to many next year.....

You are able to do withholdings on your unemployment payments if you want, but I can't imagine many people are thinking that far ahead when they need the money to get through current periods.

DrAlice

I just want to vent about this whole situation so I apologize if this is the wrong thread to do so or if nobody really cares, I just don't wanna post in the Miscellaneous Thoughts thread so I keep the corona talk away from the other threads. This whole situation is getting really tough for me mentally, and I know I haven't been hit very much personally by the effects compared to the rest of the world; I am not going in to work but still being paid for the couple of days I go in (part time in an office while I go to school), I just helped my dad get set up to work remotely but he is still being paid (financial adviser / regional manager in a PWM firm), my twin brother works in an emergency service so he is still working full time, and my older brother and I are both taking all of our classes fully online now from home. None of us are sick and we don't go out aside from my dad / brother working and for groceries, but I personally haven't left the house in around 12 days. I know it's been longer for some people, but this has just been because of my Type 1 Diabetes I want to be as careful as possible to not get infected because I have heard stories from young healthy diabetics with good control of their sugars getting hit extremely hard by coronavirus. I do so much to fill the time during my days, I spend time with my dogs, started doing yoga again, doing schoolwork, reading a book I've wanted to for a while, play games, watch movies off my To Watch list, watch YouTube, walking my dogs, anything I can think of but I'm still getting cabin fever pretty bad right now. The last few days I've just felt really unmotivated, and I know that my family is currently in a decent position with continued income and a healthy reserve of cash if anything were to happen, we have access to food still, but just hearing about this thing all day every day is getting overwhelming. Even when I turn off the news, if I go on Twitter or watch any YouTube video it gets brought up, my family brings it up, my friends bring it up when I message them, it's so overwhelming. I don't really know the point of this comment so it can get deleted if it isn't in the right thread or isn't adding anything to the situation but I kinda just wanted to check in with everyone here about how it's affecting me because I am ashamed to tell people I know how it's making me feel. I hope everyone here is doing well both physically and mentally, it is a tough time we're all going through and I am really looking forward to when we are going to start to go back to normalcy, even though I know that time isn't that close at all. I like to think of everyone here as a friend so I am truly hoping everyone here is able to stay safe and stay sane.
We're all feeling the stress of this crazy situation in one way or another. You aren't alone. Take 10-15 minutes every day to go sit outside by yourself. Just focus on the sounds. Literally. What do you hear? Birds, traffic, barking dogs, etc.... When you feel more relaxed, think of 3 things you are thankful for. If you do this every day, you will feel more grounded in this storm. It won't make it all go away, but it will help. Hang in there. You will make it through this. It won't last forever. <3

SoCalMort

I just want to vent about this whole situation so I apologize if this is the wrong thread to do so or if nobody really cares, I just don't wanna post in the Miscellaneous Thoughts thread so I keep the corona talk away from the other threads. This whole situation is getting really tough for me mentally, and I know I haven't been hit very much personally by the effects compared to the rest of the world; I am not going in to work but still being paid for the couple of days I go in (part time in an office while I go to school), I just helped my dad get set up to work remotely but he is still being paid (financial adviser / regional manager in a PWM firm), my twin brother works in an emergency service so he is still working full time, and my older brother and I are both taking all of our classes fully online now from home. None of us are sick and we don't go out aside from my dad / brother working and for groceries, but I personally haven't left the house in around 12 days. I know it's been longer for some people, but this has just been because of my Type 1 Diabetes I want to be as careful as possible to not get infected because I have heard stories from young healthy diabetics with good control of their sugars getting hit extremely hard by coronavirus. I do so much to fill the time during my days, I spend time with my dogs, started doing yoga again, doing schoolwork, reading a book I've wanted to for a while, play games, watch movies off my To Watch list, watch YouTube, walking my dogs, anything I can think of but I'm still getting cabin fever pretty bad right now. The last few days I've just felt really unmotivated, and I know that my family is currently in a decent position with continued income and a healthy reserve of cash if anything were to happen, we have access to food still, but just hearing about this thing all day every day is getting overwhelming. Even when I turn off the news, if I go on Twitter or watch any YouTube video it gets brought up, my family brings it up, my friends bring it up when I message them, it's so overwhelming. I don't really know the point of this comment so it can get deleted if it isn't in the right thread or isn't adding anything to the situation but I kinda just wanted to check in with everyone here about how it's affecting me because I am ashamed to tell people I know how it's making me feel. I hope everyone here is doing well both physically and mentally, it is a tough time we're all going through and I am really looking forward to when we are going to start to go back to normalcy, even though I know that time isn't that close at all. I like to think of everyone here as a friend so I am truly hoping everyone here is able to stay safe and stay sane.

Along with the Doctor's good advice consider one other thing: Reach out to someone you haven't spoken to in awhile and ask how they are doing and let them know you are thinking of them. Amazing things can happen as a result.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom