Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

IMDREW

I meeeaaan, the whole timeline here is baffling more than anything. I've never seen anything look so close to completion that's so far from opening. The paving is essentially done, the majority of the core landscaping is in place, the waterfall is already running, soft goods and delicate lighting fixtures are being installed, signage has appeared, etc. After the two bridges are completed, it feels like they should be at a point where they're just doing finishings.
Remember Ratatouille? Or Tron?

Disstevefan1

It still baffles me that they're adding fabric to an outdoor venue that won't be open for several more months. It's just needlessly exposing it to weathering.
I was joking about the fabric, but it's possible they put it up now to test it to see how the material stands up maybe. Now would be a good time to test it.

Bocabear

but with canopies used all over the parks, do they need to test the fabric? Do they not know by now what will work and what will not? It's a canopy....this is not new technology...unless it is embedded with millions of pixels, it is just another shade/weather shield...

Disstevefan1

but with canopies used all over the parks, do they need to test the fabric? Do they not know by now what will work and what will not? It's a canopy....this is not new technology...unless it is embedded with millions of pixels, it is just another shade/weather shield...
Valid point. I am going back to my opinion it's probably some sort of man-made petroleum based super durable material designed to stand up to the sun.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I was joking about the fabric, but it's possible they put it up now to test it to see how the material stands up maybe. Now would be a good time to test it.
Disney has backstage areas for that type of test. We saw some of the testing in progress in a behind the scenes tour of AK in 2019. It was actually very interesting to hear in the tour how different paint colors, plants, materials, etc. are tested backstage before they go on-stage.

Disstevefan1

It still baffles me that they're adding fabric to an outdoor venue that won't be open for several more months. It's just needlessly exposing it to weathering.
I just thought of a simple reason. Assuming Disney did their job and already know the material will stand up, maybe the workers simply wanted the shade.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They already have some water running through 'the journey.' I'm guessing that as the put the fountains online to test them, they'd want to have the canopy up to see how it interacts with the fountains. E.g., is it meant to create a dry spot in case of windy spray, and does it do that successfully.

It only makes sense to run tests the way it will be for guests.

SilentWindODoom

Remember Ratatouille? Or Tron?

The thing about those is that the majority of the experience is inside, so without being a part of the crew working on it or having an inside source, we'd have absolutely no idea how much work was actually necessary. We can see almost all of the progress here. Also, the finer details are more open to the elements, so them being done earlier is weirder.

Unless...

They already have some water running through 'the journey.' I'm guessing that as the put the fountains online to test them, they'd want to have the canopy up to see how it interacts with the fountains. E.g., is it meant to create a dry spot in case of windy spray, and does it do that successfully.

It only makes sense to run tests the way it will be for guests.

They're testing how everything responds to the water?

lazyboy97o

There is no need to test the fabric. Disney has a whole process of approving material suppliers and even direct sources a lot of materials that would typically be sourced by a contractor. They’d also require any materials to come with a warranty.

No Name

We've got water-sign!!

1679633308524.png
This whole thing looks like a mini golf course that’s missing the mini golf. The yellow number above could totally mark the location of hole #3.

Disney, it’s not too late to change course!*
*by change course, I mean add one!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This whole thing looks like a mini golf course that’s missing the mini golf. The yellow number above could totally mark the location of hole #3.

On hole 5, you get a Heart of Te Fiti swirly ball, and you have to chip it into the cup in her chest.

Disstevefan1

THIS WOULD BE SO COOL IF IT WAS MINI GOLF!!!!!

I can see it now, mini golf in the shadow of the giant golf ball it’s self ;)

SilentWindODoom

I wish half the mini-golf courses on property were more accessible. Although... can you now get a bus to the Swan Reserve and actually get dropped off close to Fantasia Gardens?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom