Overnight parking charges to increase at Walt Disney World Resort hotels June 2019

Disstevefan1

I think they'll bury it in the inevitable resort fee.

They could have buried the parking fee into the resort fee, but the reason they did not is so they could make price increases to individual things like the parking fee, the resort fee, the room rate

I would not be surprised if one day the magical express will have a fee.

peter11435

I really hope you are right and I am wrong!
Having said that, I am still sticking to my original prediction , it's a matter of when they start charging, no matter who is getting paid.
Like I said, there is no way the third parties that fill Disney Springs will support parking fees unless they get a cut. Even if Disney were willing to share the profits the garages aren’t Disney’s to charge for.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Like I said, there is no way the third parties that fill Disney Springs will support parking fees unless they get a cut. Even if Disney were willing to share the profits the garages aren’t Disney’s to charge for.

Well, they're operated by Reedy Creek Improvement District which masquerades as an independent entity but is ultimately controlled by Disney. I don't disagree with you though, free parking is more profitable at Disney Springs. At least for now.

cmb5002

Well, they're operated by Reedy Creek Improvement District which masquerades as an independent entity but is ultimately controlled by Disney. I don't disagree with you though, free parking is more profitable at Disney Springs. At least for now.

If money were charged for DS garages, RCID would get the money, not Disney. The only way Disney could collect any potential parking fees at DS would be if RCID sold the garages to Disney, and I do believe they would be required to sell it at a fair market value as they are a government entity.

That speaks to the local government aspect only. As @peter11435 points out, you also have the issue of the other private companies that rent at DS. They will not be amenable to anything that would decrease foot-traffic unless they receive compensation. Without them, DS dies...again.

mf1972

So, does anyone know why I wasn't charged for parking at Caribbean? Mistake? Construction?
when was your trip? we stayed at POFQ last nov/dec & didn’t have to pay a fee either. our trip was booked before the parking fees were announced, so we were exempted

bhg469

I'm prepared for everyone to tell me how wrong I am, but I'm going to keep beating this drum. Disney does not want you to pay the parking fee, they want you to skip renting a car. They'd be thrilled if the "Resort Parking Fee Revenue" line went to zero because it means all of their guests are captive and reliant on them for transportation, F&B, merchandise, and recreation.

This isn't about a few extra dollars in fees, it's an attempt to change guest behavior.
Why would anyone disagree with you being correct?

Clamman73

They are going to announce that they will be repainting the lines in all the resort parking lots with new already improved Disney Parking Paint ( also available at a store near you). you can't say you are getting nothing for your parking fee.
Lol. I’ll take what I can get.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Love hershey. Its such a clean park. We went last summer and had a blast. Had reservations booked for the hershey hotel, but then balked at the 400 + per night. Is that where you stayed?
That’s where we stay. Expensive, but totally worth it.
The Hershey Lodge is about $100 a night less, and even though it doesn't equal the Hershey Hotel, it's still a great property. Give that a look.
You and I must go to a different Hershey Park. Nice, fun trolley park - just as Uncle Milt intended - but hardly “great.”
I must go to a different park then you as well. I think Hershey is wonderful.

Lensman

Eventually someone will build a long term parking lot near WDW and undercut them on the prices. They can have shuttles that take you to your resort. Kind of like the offsite cruise parking at Port Canaveral or long term parking at an airport. We always drive, cheaper than flying and my husband hates to fly. I really wonder how long Disney can sustain these increases across the board and not have any loss of guests.
This model is actually compatible with @CaptainAmerica's conjecture about the main purpose of the parking being driving guest behavior and keeping resort guests captive.

Heck, Disney could do this themselves, and oddly they may be the only ones who have the unused land close enough to make this a viable proposition. Given water management costs, I wonder if an outside company could really make a go of this?

25 cents per square of toilet paper.
We laugh, but a friend of mine who did missionary work in Eastern Europe during the Soviet era told me a story of having to buy toilet paper from a woman in the men's room. The funniest part of the story was how shocked she was at his extravagance at buying 3 whole sheets!

If money were charged for DS garages, RCID would get the money, not Disney. The only way Disney could collect any potential parking fees at DS would be if RCID sold the garages to Disney, and I do believe they would be required to sell it at a fair market value as they are a government entity.

That speaks to the local government aspect only. As @peter11435 points out, you also have the issue of the other private companies that rent at DS. They will not be amenable to anything that would decrease foot-traffic unless they receive compensation. Without them, DS dies...again.
Isn't Disney the source of much of the revenue for RCID anyway? So any DS parking revenue that would go directly to RCID just means that RCID could reduce the share of costs that Disney would have to pay, so 80-90% of it could help Disney's bottom line as well? I don't know what the real percentages is.

I think everyone knows the below but I'll post it for new readers.

Edited to add: I agree that the shops/vendors at DS want parking to remain free.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Absolutely agree about RCID. Reedy Creek Improvement District = Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts.

As we know RCID was created by Disney for the Florida project what we know now is Walt Disney World.

Folks that work for RCID are in effect WDW cast members. I know this first hand.

ecranos

i agree but *** about those of us who LIVE AN HOUR AWAY....the AP at least in state AP should include it....i cannot fly to disney world if i wanted too.
So agree - we’re about an hour and a half away - when I heard about resort parking fee I thought they wouldn’t include fl ap holders. Me just being dumb 😂 I thought they liked us coming up every other month. To combat I decline mousekeeping so that helps. Have also bring staying around Springs more and getting some great deals and using points. Between the crazy on property resort prices & parking fees on top it makes sense.

homerdance

Prime properties in major cities charge a boatload for parking. I've seen in excess of $50 a night. I see Deluxe's approaching the $40/$50 mark nightly within the next few years and I also see the introduction of the "Resort Fee". They'll tier it and make it sound reasonable at first, then they'll gouge our eyes out with the increases.

I fear a day where you'll see a combined $75/$100 a day added to a hotel night with the combined fees. Heck, the Swolphin is at $55 combined right now. You know Disney is going to want to outdo that.
Comparing paying for parking in Chicago or any big city isn’t a fair comparison. Most hotels don’t own the parking facilities in those locales and the ones who do charge everyone to park. They may offer validation for parking but only after you spend $$$$. Disney is the only place I know that will let a “guest” come park and stay as long as they want as long as they are not registered as an overnight guest.

That’s why this fee by Disney is a shame and a hidden fee by them, done to do nothing but deceive their quoted nightly rate to look cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom