CRT New Upcharge

VaderTron

Thank you for this! It reinforces my stance that things have been taken away from the regular guest in favor of those willing to pay, all in the name of per-guest spending and profit margin.

Yes, as I said it was just a small sample of things that have been used to take away from the regular "guest's" enjoyment. Club level Fastpass+ is another. 90 day Fastpass+ booking window and 3 extra Fastpass+ reservations for any ride at any park at the price of $50...A DAY...MINIMUM of 3 DAYS!!! It's no wonder there was no availability for Avatar and Slinky Dog when my 60 day window opened up.

Lensman

Well, our host at a champagne tasting on our Disney Cruise politely asked us to pour down the drain any "champagne" that claims to come from anywhere but France. :D If it says, "sparkling wine", it's ok to drink (if that's what you like, I guess).
Lol! Was he French? That would be especially good-naturedly funny!*

Nowadays, that advice is actually pretty sound, as I've heard that it's only the worst grandfathered-in sparkling wine makers in the U.S. who insist on still labeling their crap "Champagne" after 2005. Yes, I'm looking at you Korbel, Andre, and Cook's!

* Not so funny if you want to consider that over a million French soldiers died for these rights. (Yes, I'm aware that they weren't actually fighting specifically for them, but they were in the Treaty of Versailles!)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Lol! Was he French? That would be especially good-naturedly funny!*

Nowadays, that advice is actually pretty sound, as I've heard that it's only the worst grandfathered-in sparkling wine makers in the U.S. who insist on still labeling their crap "Champagne" after 2005. Yes, I'm looking at you Korbel, Andre, and Cook's!

* Not so funny if you want to consider that over a million French soldiers died for these rights. (Yes, I'm aware that they weren't actually fighting specifically for them, but they were in the Treaty of Versailles!)

Yes, he was French. We all got a chuckle from his request. :D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Gotcha!. Cool. I mainly didn't want Iron Horse wrongly besmirched. :)

Has anyone actually deconstructed the package price vs what you can construct on your own? I read some attempts early in the thread. Is it reserved fireworks viewing + meet & greet + sparkling wine + box of truffles for $30? Using the $85 + $85 for CRT + cupcakes. Not that I'm really in the market for this experience, I just like calculating arbitrage.

Oh, and don't worry, the comment about mocking wasn't directed at you! I don't think of you, or anyone here, really, as the mocking type.

I make an effort not to mock...

But I do make full frontal bayonet charges when the dust gets too high.

The problem with doing any “valuation” on Cinderella’s is that there isn’t one since the jacked it through the stratosphere progressively years ago. The base price is terrible...so how do you set a legitimate reference point??

Dutch Inn '76

I think it's uncool to be predatory.

If you don't spend all of your free time researching and planning your next Disney trip (like most of the people on these boards), the average WDW visitor would have no idea that you could book CRT and the dessert party separately and save hundreds of dollars over this package.

I only hope that a newbie comes across this discussion today and realizes what a bad idea it is to waste money on this.

Or better yet, no one buys this "experience" and it quietly disappears like the DVC galactic gathering Epcot event.

It REALLY sucks that they pick random families, like a predator might, and force them to pay this crazy fee to watch the fireworks in the castle! I'm outraged!

Oh wait - you mean they're not forcing people to pay that fee? Oh - well it's no big deal then... :rolleyes:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It REALLY sucks that they pick random families, like a predator might, and force them to pay this crazy fee to watch the fireworks in the castle! I'm outraged!

Oh wait - you mean they're not forcing people to pay that fee? Oh - well it's no big deal then... :rolleyes:

The point is these packages have become so prevalent that some of them are crossing the line towards “deliberate misdirection”

But if your point is “nobody cares”...the I agree.

People buy the first two hours of the day and the last three hours of the day for the same price as the normal hours in between...

So I guess the “free market” is working, huh?

Tony the Tigger

The point is these packages have become so prevalent that some of them are crossing the line towards “deliberate misdirection”

But if your point is “nobody cares”...the I agree.

People buy the first two hours of the day and the last three hours of the day for the same price as the normal hours in between...

So I guess the “free market” is working, huh?

Or - people buy a FL pass for under $300, get their money’s worth in 3 days and don’t have to think about tickets for many months. On their 5th trip, they don’t mind kicking in $200 for a little extra.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or - people buy a FL pass for under $300, get their money’s worth in 3 days and don’t have to think about tickets for many months. On their 5th trip, they don’t mind kicking in $200 for a little extra.

So pricing structure is based on the 10-20% average daily demographic....

Florida ain’t that big, Bub 😉

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This whole thing tracks with the Rose and Crown "fireworks surcharge." I expect Crystal Palace to do the same in the MK, followed shortly by any Epcot restaurant that looks out onto the lake, especially as we get closer to RoE's demise.

Missing20K

Apologies, I can't tell whether you're being serious or sarcastic. Other than the corny name, I'm not sure what you think is wrong with an Iron Horse sparkling, if anything.

BTW, are they really serving an Iron Horse sparkling for only $18 a bottle?

FWIW, I don't see the need to mock someone for making the novice mistake of calling a California sparkling, champagne. After all, they might have been a victim of pre-2005 brainwashing.
You're probably referring to my comment and as a quick defense, I wasn't trying to mock a novice for making the mistake, but calling to light that Disney created the package with a sparkling wine, simply because so few people realize there is a difference between the two. Sparkling wines can certainly be as good or better than, a "proper" Champagne, but I think Disney hopes people are getting the two confused, so that the package seems to be of a higher "value" than it may in fact be. "Champagne" sounds fancier, more expensive, and of a "higher class" than does "sparkling wine". Disney clearly states sparkling wine in the details, but I'm confident in saying they have no issues at all with bloggers, vloggers, and forum posters claiming they get "Champagne" with this package.

Lensman

You're probably referring to my comment and as a quick defense, I wasn't trying to mock a novice for making the mistake, but calling to light that Disney created the package with a sparkling wine, simply because so few people realize there is a difference between the two. Sparkling wines can certainly be as good or better than, a "proper" Champagne, but I think Disney hopes people are getting the two confused, so that the package seems to be of a higher "value" than it may in fact be. "Champagne" sounds fancier, more expensive, and of a "higher class" than does "sparkling wine". Disney clearly states sparkling wine in the details, but I'm confident in saying they have no issues at all with bloggers, vloggers, and forum posters claiming they get "Champagne" with this package.
If that was your intent, then it certainly wasn't clear to me and since a number of posters mentioned champagne right before yours and suck mockery is pretty common, I made the assumption and if I was incorrect then I apologize.
When did sparkling wine become champagne?

But on this notion that you were accusing Disney of preying on people's ignorance, where is the fine print that says that the champagnes that they serve at CRT are excluded from the package? It's not entirely clear to me that they were using "sparkling wine" in the exclusive "sparkling wines that aren't from Champagne" rather than the broad category "sparkling wine" that is inclusive of both sparkling wines from Champagne as well as the ones that are not. They serve both*. As a matter of clarification they also serve wines by the glass and, though technically those aren't included in the "free glass of sparkling wine or a specialty cocktail" that they list, I was wondering if you could have a glass one wine as your complimentary alcoholic beverage. If not, I'd call out Disney as being "cheap" for excluding it from their $199 "signature" package. I'd call *that* the real deception.

Actually, thinking about it a bit, how can your accusation against Disney even make sense? If Disney's is serving sparkling wine, what alternative do they have but to advertise that people buying the package can get a free glass of sparkling wine?

And let's not get snobby here, there are several sparkling wines that are better than the lower tier of champagnes.

Apologies if I come off as snobby or patronizing.

* Disney serves "Enchantée Champagne Brut", which is apparently a private label produced for them by Nicolas Feuillatte. https://www.vivino.com/enchantee-brut-champagne-champagne-sparkling-v-slwrh/w/2808587

Last edited:

Missing20K

If that was your intent, then it certainly wasn't clear to me and since a number of posters mentioned champagne right before yours and suck mockery is pretty common, I made the assumption and if I was incorrect then I apologize.

But on this notion that you were accusing Disney of preying on people's ignorance, where is the fine print that says that the champagnes that they server at CRT are excluded from the package? It's not entirely clear to me that they were using "sparkling wine" in the exclusive "sparkling wines that aren't from Champagne" rather than the broad category "sparkling wine" that is inclusive of both sparkling wines from Champagne as well as the ones that are not. They serve both*. As a matter of clarification they also serve wines by the glass and, though technically those aren't included in the "free glass of sparkling wine or a specialty cocktail" that they list, I was wondering if you could have a glass one wine as your complimentary alcoholic beverage. If not, I'd call out Disney as being "cheap" for excluding it from their $199 "signature" package. I'd call *that* the real deception.

Actually, thinking about it a bit, how can your accusation against Disney even make sense? If Disney's is serving sparkling wine, what alternative do they have but to advertise that people buying the package can get a free glass of sparkling wine?

And let's not get snobby here, there are several sparkling wines that are better than the lower tier of champagnes.

Apologies if I come off as snobby or patronizing.

* Disney serves "Enchantée Champagne Brut", which is apparently a private label produced for them by Nicolas Feuillatte. https://www.vivino.com/enchantee-brut-champagne-champagne-sparkling-v-slwrh/w/2808587
I can understand the confusion.

My notion they are preying on people's ignorance is not that the CRT package excludes one from ordering Champagne, but that "sparking wine" is included. Whether they exclude one from purchasing a different sparkling wine than the one offered, I would not know.From Disney's website (emphasis mine):
Cinderella and her Prince Charming will personally welcome you upon arrival to the storybook setting of Cinderella Castle and invite you to embark on your royal evening which you’ll kick off at your table with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine or a specialty beverage. While you dine, Cinderella’s Princess friends, will come to your table to greet you and take photos.

So when a few posters said something about champagne, I went to look for myself, saw that it was actually sparkling wine, and then made my (admittedly a bit snarky) comment. Didn't mean any ill will towards those that were confused, but rather pointing out that fact that no Champagne was included.

I wasn't saying they shouldn't advertise it correctly, but that they will almost certainly never correct any vlogger who mistakenly calls it champagne during a review.

This all goes out the window of course if they are serving one of the grandfathered brands, but in that case, I would expect them to call it champagne in the advertising.

And yes, totally agree, many sparkling wines are superior to Champagne.

Lensman

This all goes out the window of course if they are serving one of the grandfathered brands, but in that case, I would expect them to call it champagne in the advertising.
Like I said, they're serving both sparkling wines that are labeled "sparkling wine" and one actual AOC champagne by the glass. It's not clear to me whether the champagne is excluded from this package, but if it is, I'd agree with you and call foul, but more for penny-pinching pedanticism than champagne deception. I mean, really, the champagne is only $5 more expensive than the sparkling red that they're serving, and only $1 more than the "Royal Sparkling Flight" that actually includes the champagne.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out the details soon enough.

matt9112

Park Hours are based on expected crowds. If you can experience the same amount of attractions in 10 hours on a slow day in September or 17 hours on a busy day in July, you got the same perceived value out of your ticket.

no no the **** you didn't you spent 70% more time in the latter experience spent standing around sweating.

Missing20K

Like I said, they're serving both sparkling wines that are labeled "sparkling wine" and one actual AOC champagne by the glass. It's not clear to me whether the champagne is excluded from this package, but if it is, I'd agree with you and call foul, but more for penny-pinching pedanticism than champagne deception. I mean, really, the champagne is only $5 more expensive than the sparkling red that they're serving, and only $1 more than the "Royal Sparkling Flight" that actually includes the champagne.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out the details soon enough.
The bolded is indeed what I was criticizing.

The Disney Parks Blog has this:

The Disney Signature Celebration Package website has this under the details, but above still has sparkling wine:

The blog post is nearly verbatim of the "Dining" webpage, save for the "details", so I guess it's still up in the air and could be changed from sparkling wine to champagne and back again at any time.

I never thought I'd ever in my life devote this much brain power delving into the details of a Disney dinner package and whether it includes sparkling wine or a sparkling wine from the Champagne region of France. 😀

BigThunderMatt

no no the **** you didn't you spent 70% more time in the latter experience spent standing around sweating.

Um yes yes the **** you did. That's precisely why hours are longer in the summer to compensate for the larger crowds. There have been vast amounts of studies internally about how many attractions a guest needs to experience to have positive intent to return (and the sweet spot is around 7-8 but it can also vary slightly depending on day-of crowd levels). Generally the less busy it is, the more attractions they have to experience, the more busy it is, the less they have to get through to have that same intent. That's why on days where attendance trends higher than forecasted it's not unprecedented for them to extend park hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom