CRT New Upcharge

VaderTron

Serious question,
Are there a large population of people that show up to Disney, knowing nothing? The fact that they booked a meal at CRT means they must know something.
I really think its jealousy that makes folks assume that anyone that pays for these extraa are some uneducated hicks incapable of booking a vacation without getting scammed.
Do you guys any proof that people purchasing upcharge events don't know exactly what they are getting??

I constantly overhear other "guests" commenting negatively on the Fastpass+ lines. I let them know that their ticket allows them to have 3 reservations themselves and it's free. They say, "REALLY??!!!!" Then I point out that they can use their phone or a Fastpass+ Kiosk. They say, "I saw those kiosks, but just thought that was where you purchased the Fastpasses." or something along those lines. All...the...time. I'm constantly telling my own friends who plan trips things they have no clue about such as the 180 day table-service reservation window, the 60-day on-site Fastpass+ reservation window and the 30-day off-site window, etc. While I'm in the parks, as I check in for a table service reservation, invariably there will be another "guest" talking with the hosting cast member about a table. When they find out there is no space they say, "I didn't know I needed a reservation." Then they ask where they might eat that they don't need a reservation. The cast member points out a nearby counter service restaurant. Disappointed they leave and go to one of the "Disney McDonalds" nearby.

Yes, there are many, many people who book a Disney vacation without understanding what is going on at all, of varying financial statuses. That's why there are so many sites offering paid access to "exclusive information", apps, travel books, travel agencies and other for-cost services that help people understand how to plan their trip. There are a number that feel it can't be that difficult to plan and bypass those sources feeling they are saving money. Then when they see a "new experience" advertised they book it without realizing it's not really new, it's just a more expensive package of already existing events/dinner reservations.

To more specifically address your question about people showing up "knowing nothing". My answer is no. They know something. But as my grandpa always told me, "A little knowledge can be deadly. Get all the facts." The guests I'm referring to know some things, but not enough to avoid being swindled. Is it their fault? Partially. But taking advantage of the uninformed is not innocent either. As I stated in an above post, I would be fine with this* if there was more transparency. It would be nice if they displayed all of the options available so that those who book the whole package are doing so because they want to, not because they don't know they can have almost the same experience at a much lower cost.

*I would be fine with this if they don't block out prime dining hours (5-7pm) from other guests as was rumored, or took away formerly free viewing space from park-goers.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I constantly overhear other "guests" commenting negatively on the Fastpass+ lines. I let them know that their ticket allows them to have 3 reservations themselves and it's free. They say, "REALLY??!!!!" Then I point out that they can use their phone or a Fastpass+ Kiosk. They say, "I saw those kiosks, but just thought that was where you purchased the Fastpasses." or something along those lines. All...the...time. I'm constantly telling my own friends who plan trips things they have no clue about, such as 180 day table-service reservation window, 60-day on site Fastpass+ reservation window and 30-day off-site window, etc. While I'm in the parks as I check in for a table service reservation invariably there will be another "guest" talking with the hosting cast member about a table. When they find out there is no space they say, "I didn't know I needed a reservation." Then they ask where they might eat that they don't need a reservation. Disappointed they leave and go to one of the "Disney McDonalds" nearby.

Yes, there are many, many people who book a Disney vacation without understanding what is going on at all, of varying financial statuses. That's why there are so many sites offering paid access to "exclusive information", apps, travel books, travel agencies and other for-cost services that help people understand how to plan their trip. There are a number that feel it can't be that difficult to plan and bypass those sources feeling they are saving money. Then when they see a "new experience" advertised they book it without realizing it's not really new, it's just a more expensive package of already existing events/dinner reservations.

Wow, then I agree with the other poster. you drop a couple of grand on a vacation anywhere and don't bother to open up a guide book or even go on one of the 50000 free disney planning sites, the quality of your trip is seriously on you.

Fp+ and adr's are basic information found everywhere. someone who does not know about 180 day adr reservation practices willful ignorance.

How do they manage to even book the trip?? Lol Disneyworld.com front page has fp+ on it.
Sorry imo that is not a Disney problem.

Last edited:

BigThunderMatt

Park hours have always fluctuated. For decades there have been days where the park may be open 9-7 with no special events along with days the park was open 8-1. That’s the difference between 10 and 17 hours in the park and he admission cost was the same either way.

Park Hours are based on expected crowds. If you can experience the same amount of attractions in 10 hours on a slow day in September or 17 hours on a busy day in July, you got the same perceived value out of your ticket.

VaderTron

Are you saying most Disney afficionados are suffering from diminished mental capacity?
Because I think you may be right. I know that I suffer from Disneyitis and Pixie Dust Poisoning from time to time...

What I am saying is there are a many more factors to consider than the simplistic idea that "if someone buys it, they know what they are doing". That's not necessarily true.

That's why there are sites like this one... so those of us with a few functional brain cells left can provide our own price/value analyses and opinions on trends in the parks and resort.

The availability of something does not mean it is used. Many people have extremely busy lives and little to no time to "waste" on forums (Let's be honest, we could all be doing more meaningful things.) and informational sites. Their trip to Disney is an attempt to escape the rat race. They are doing good just to get tickets and reservations for meals/events for their first trip ever to Disney (or first in 15 years). They don't have days of time to research every aspect of their trip. I think we forget how much cumulative time all of us have spent over the years learning about the way Disney World operates, it's offerings, and the "insider tips" that help navigate and make the best use of our time when we visit.

eliza61nyc

What I am saying is there are a many more factors to consider than the simplistic idea that "if someone buys it, they know what they are doing". That's not necessarily true.

The availability of something does not mean it is used. Many people have extremely busy lives and little to no time to "waste" on forums (Let's be honest, we could all be doing more meaningful things.) and informational sites. Their trip to Disney is an attempt to escape the rat race. They are doing good just to get tickets and reservations for meals/events for their first trip ever to Disney (or first in 15 years). They don't have days of time to research every aspect of their trip. I think we forget how much cumulative time all of us have spent over the years learning about the way Disney World operates, it's offerings, and the "insider tips" that help navigate and make the best use of our time when we visit.

I don't know Marcus, I don't think I still know all the "insider tips" but that's not what we are talking about here. and let's be honest, if some one is not going to do the basic amount of research on any vacation than it's highly doubtful that even having the prices listed separately is going to make a world of difference. The old "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". If they aren't going to read, then what do you do?? Can we not expect a certain level of personal responsibility???? again some one spends thousands of dollars on any thing and they don't figure out basic stuff?? who does that? fast pass+ information is every where. the first thing people say when they hear someone has a trip is "did you get your fast passes?".
That's like booking a trip to Europe and not bothering to look up that you need a passport.

Disneyson

Alright, let’s break this down.

This entire experience is $199.

Cinderella’s Royal Table Dining is about $73, which includes a starter, main course, and dessert (which in this case is a take-home Cinderella-themed dessert box), as well as meet and greets, usually Cinderella, Snow White, and Jasmine.

Assuming this is the cheapest sparkling wine Disney can muster, that’s about $10. Remember, some people find drinking alcohol at the end of their long day in the magic kingdom worth any price.

You then get to go to the dessert party, which is $69, which includes reserved viewing in front of the castle and desserts.

That leaves about $47 unaccounted for. This presumably goes towards your take-home keepsake menu ($7?), the additional take home desserts in the box ($10?), and, where I think the true value lies, the ability to take a photo with Cinderella and Prince Charming together, which presumably costs $30 to complete the pricing. Remember that Prince Charming usually comes out only for the upcharge Christmas nights, and most people will wait apxx. an hour to meet him and Cinderella. I believe that the best way to sweeten the pot is to include a complimentary framed photo, and then I believe the pricing would make a lot of sense - it’s only a little bit overpriced as of now. We also don’t factor in gratuity.

You also have to consider that there are probably two instances in which this would be a good buy: Proposal Trips and “My One And Only Trip” trips.

A surprise trip inside Cinderella Castle with all the expenses paid upfront removes the need for cash to be exchanged during the dinner, and will inevitably enhance the romantic and easy effect of the evening. With a proposal before or after dinner, Cinderella and Prince Charming as a pair can give wedding advice and do posed couple’s photos, and as “one last surprise” you (as the proposer) will be able to whisk your loved one away to a premium view of the fireworks.

As for a child’s only visit, you can take care of the details of skipping three long queues to meet characters, one of which is bound to become much more popular after her movie gets re-made (Jasmine). You would be releasing the stress from the ending of your vacation and give your child extra time with Cinderella and Prince Charming. Especially if this is one of your child’s favorite films, it will be likely be well worth the expense.

While I myself would not jump at this chance, it’s not a bad setup for some people. I don’t think a lot of us on these boards are only visiting once, nor are we doing a proposal where taking out your wallet would break the illusion. I think there is a market for this package, it’s just not most of us. Lots of people reading will also not wait an hour to see Prince Charming at the Christmas Party, because we can always go next year. I just think this is an experience that is for a specific sort of people, and those people will have to justify for themselves if that extra $25 or so justifies the cost of the pre-arranged worry-free evening.

VaderTron

Wow, then I agree with the other poster. you drop a couple of grand on a vacation anywhere and don't bother to open up a guide book or even go on one of the 50000 free disney planning sites, the quality of your trip is seriously on you.

Fp+ and adr's are basic information found everywhere. someone who does not know about 180 day adr reservation practices willful ignorance.

How do they manage to even book the trip?? Lol Disneyworld.com front page has fp+ on it.
Sorry imo that is not a Disney problem.

Front page??? If you include the tiny text ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way at the bottom, then yes. Fastpass+ is listed on the "front page" of the site.

You have to navigate off the front page to see it otherwise. But even then, it doesn't say it's free. It's quietly stated in a few areas that it's included with your ticket. Since you have to pay for "express line" perks at most other parks, many assume it's not free. And Disney doesn't heavily advertise that Fastpasses are free. Every other business marketing team would have a banner across the top of the website that screamed "FREE! 3 FASTPASS+ WITH EVERY TICKET!" in size 80 font. Disney doesn't need/want to. They have enough demand, so they hype their paid extras, not their included extras.

VaderTron

I don't know Marcus, I don't think I still know all the "insider tips" but that's not what we are talking about here. and let's be honest, if some one is not going to do the basic amount of research on any vacation than it's highly doubtful that even having the prices listed separately is going to make a world of difference. The old "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". If they aren't going to read, then what do you do?? Can we not expect a certain level of personal responsibility???? again some one spends thousands of dollars on any thing and they don't figure out basic stuff?? who does that? fast pass+ information is every where. the first thing people say when they hear someone has a trip is "did you get your fast passes?".
That's like booking a trip to Europe and not bothering to look up that you need a passport.

Once again...the point is not to say the guest is totally innocent of all blame. But using your old cliche of the horse, it's true, a horse led to water may not choose to drink. But the man who leads him there takes away any responsibility from himself. If he were to hide the fact that there is water from the horse, is he completely innocent? I'm saying, Disney isn't being transparent, and that is a choice in the hopes it will make them a few more bucks off the unwitting.

fngoofy

fngoofy said:
They aren't in FL, they are in WDW. WDW is just in FL for the weather.
Having vacationed in Hawaii thrice, NY twice, Chicago twice, St. Louis once, and various other spots for getaways, I am partial to WDW.
Hawaii is fun, but for overall bang for your buck WDW wins. That's why we've done WDW 16 times in the last 18 yrs.

I've been to Kentucky 4 times, the Smokey Mountains 2 times, drove through Chicago,spent a full weekend in St Louis, and saw the Grand Canyon from an airplane. I'm not trying to say I have quite a bit more disposable income than the average wdwmagic poster but I do.

Thanks for the meanness.

Brad Bishop

While I'm not wholly on @Marcus Cade side, he does have a point. Going to Disney has become so complicated that you can go and barely have enough information to get you past tickets and entry.

(again, another reason I no longer go)

eliza61nyc

Once again...the point is not to say the guest is totally innocent of all blame. But using your old cliche of the horse, it's true, a horse led to water may not choose to drink. But the man who leads him there takes away any responsibility from himself. If he were to hide the fact that there is water from the horse, is he completely innocent? I'm saying, Disney isn't being transparent, and that is a choice in the hopes it will make them a few more bucks off the unwitting.
ok we disagree. the information is available for those who want to find it. How is Disney "hiding" anything. I don't believe it's someone else's responsibility to do a visitors work for them. lol, how do they buy cable, cell phones, groceries or any thing else if they can't figure out what is a good deal for them?

eliza61nyc

While I'm not wholly on @Marcus Cade side, he does have a point. Going to Disney has become so complicated that you can go and barely have enough information to get you past tickets and entry.

(again, another reason I no longer go)
lol one would think that would be more reason to research. ok I guess it's just me. I agree it's gotten a lot more complicated, lol if anything I would simply want to know how to avoid the crowds and long lines. just asking that online would get you a lot of information.

Again it just boggles my head that people just roll up to the world not knowing how they are going to eat or get on rides.

Tony the Tigger

If you are so against equality I suppose you prefer selfish bigotry? Even the US Constitution promotes equality. I mean...if that's your stance...
Equality of opportunity -- not necessarily equality of outcome.

You beat me to it.

Serious question,
Are there a large population of people that show up to Disney, knowing nothing? The fact that they booked a meal at CRT means they must know something.
I really think its jealousy that makes folks assume that anyone that pays for these extraa are some uneducated hicks incapable of booking a vacation without getting scammed.
Do you guys any proof that people purchasing upcharge events don't know exactly what they are getting??

I'm sure there are people who don't know a lot. WDW is a unique experience. People don't know how much they don't know.

My only point of reference before going in my late twenties was Six Flags (Great Adventure) in NJ, and maybe the Jersey Shore Boardwalk.

I got a book about WDW for Christmas along with the tickets. I did not realize anything about ADR's. We did not make any ADR's. (were there even ADR's then?) This was 1998. We didn't even do any sit-down meals except to have dessert someplace at the Poly one night. Nobody ever asked if we had a reservation, and we never needed one (for what are now obvious reasons.)

My second trip included New Year's Eve 1999. We tried to walk up to a few restaurants and were asked if we had a reservation. I thought that was bizarre - a reservation to eat at a theme park? I figured it was only for the holiday. Ended up squished in at Biergarten, and still don't like it to this day lol.

It was maybe a couple of years later I "got" how things worked. Now it seems normal.

But I can see some young family with just the generic "I want to take my kid to Disney World" idea in their heads, having never been, going for two or three days, and not even thinking they would have to make reservations for dinner months in advance.

For some people, the ticket price is mountain enough! I totally get it.

But - do some people overpay for stuff? I think most people on the DDP overpay for stuff - some knowingly. I'm sure there are other examples.

Tony the Tigger

fngoofy said:
They aren't in FL, they are in WDW. WDW is just in FL for the weather.
Having vacationed in Hawaii thrice, NY twice, Chicago twice, St. Louis once, and various other spots for getaways, I am partial to WDW.
Hawaii is fun, but for overall bang for your buck WDW wins. That's why we've done WDW 16 times in the last 18 yrs.

Thanks for the meanness.

I wasn't sure if it was meanness, sarcasm, or if that person really thought going to Kentucky 4 times was impressive(?) The last line about disposable income threw me off LOL.

VaderTron

Alright, let’s break this down.

This entire experience is $199.

Cinderella’s Royal Table Dining is about $73, which includes a starter, main course, and dessert (which in this case is a take-home Cinderella-themed dessert box), as well as meet and greets, usually Cinderella, Snow White, and Jasmine.

Assuming this is the cheapest sparkling wine Disney can muster, that’s about $10. Remember, some people find drinking alcohol at the end of their long day in the magic kingdom worth any price.

You then get to go to the dessert party, which is $69, which includes reserved viewing in front of the castle and desserts.

That leaves about $47 unaccounted for. This presumably goes towards your take-home keepsake menu ($7?), the additional take home desserts in the box ($10?), and, where I think the true value lies, the ability to take a photo with Cinderella and Prince Charming together, which presumably costs $30 to complete the pricing. Remember that Prince Charming usually comes out only for the upcharge Christmas nights, and most people will wait apxx. an hour to meet him and Cinderella. I believe that the best way to sweeten the pot is to include a complimentary framed photo, and then I believe the pricing would make a lot of sense - it’s only a little bit overpriced as of now. We also don’t factor in gratuity.

You also have to consider that there are probably two instances in which this would be a good buy: Proposal Trips and “My One And Only Trip” trips.

A surprise trip inside Cinderella Castle with all the expenses paid upfront removes the need for cash to be exchanged during the dinner, and will inevitably enhance the romantic and easy effect of the evening. With a proposal before or after dinner, Cinderella and Prince Charming as a pair can give wedding advice and do posed couple’s photos, and as “one last surprise” you (as the proposer) will be able to whisk your loved one away to a premium view of the fireworks.

As for a child’s only visit, you can take care of the details of skipping three long queues to meet characters, one of which is bound to become much more popular after her movie gets re-made (Jasmine). You would be releasing the stress from the ending of your vacation and give your child extra time with Cinderella and Prince Charming. Especially if this is one of your child’s favorite films, it will be likely be well worth the expense.

While I myself would not jump at this chance, it’s not a bad setup for some people. I don’t think a lot of us on these boards are only visiting once, nor are we doing a proposal where taking out your wallet would break the illusion. I think there is a market for this package, it’s just not most of us. Lots of people reading will also not wait an hour to see Prince Charming at the Christmas Party, because we can always go next year. I just think this is an experience that is for a specific sort of people, and those people will have to justify for themselves if that extra $25 or so justifies the cost of the pre-arranged worry-free evening.

You are forgetting that tax is included in the after fireworks dessert party and as for gratuity the website says "gratuity (singular) not included or required". However, the "signature experience" says "plus tax and gratuities (plural)". So, you still have to pay at the restaurant. You still get the check at the end of the meal. There is no "paid upfront" experience that negates getting a bill at the end of the meal. And are you serious about doing a proposal at Cinderella's Royal Table? Right next to the flip-flop wearing t-shirted father trying to calm a screaming 3 year-old who is crying because her brother took her tiara off her head? I guess that's romantic?

And by saying, "gratiuties" is Disney implying you should tip for both the restaurant and the dessert party, even though the regular dessert party description specifically says it's not necessary? I wouldn't put it past them.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
ok we disagree. the information is available for those who want to find it. How is Disney "hiding" anything. I don't believe it's someone else's responsibility to do a visitors work for them. lol, how do they buy cable, cell phones, groceries or any thing else if they can't figure out what is a good deal for them?
Your first two examples are two of the most predatory, low customer satisfaction businesses going. Typical of you actually.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just sayin' - Disney used to view most guests as equal once they were inside the parks. Such a silly, antiquated notion in these days of labels, class warfare, and other such nonsense that so many fought so hard to get rid of, only to see it wiped out thanks to social media and "social justice"...

Yet another thread that I will now ignore... :banghead:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I find it funny that people complain that Disney charges these ridiculous event prices. Would I personally pay for these events, no. Is it ridiculous? Well, that is in the eye of the beholder.

The thing is that Disney will do these things because people are willing to pay for it. When people stop paying for it, or the analysts determine that the cost is not worth it they will continue to do it. If you don't like or agree with it don't participate or spend your money towards something that Disney has determined is experiential and wanted.
Standard lines...but completely compartmentalized
You're a smart cookie. I can never understand why folks get their knickers in a knot. Either buy it or don't.
Trends become requirements for all in a mass environment...just a matter of time

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just sayin' - Disney used to view most guests as equal once they were inside the parks. Such a silly, antiquated notion in these days of labels, class warfare, and other such nonsense that so many fought so hard to get rid of, only to see it wiped out thanks to social media and "social justice"...

Yet another thread that I will now ignore... :banghead:

I don’t think anyone has ever captured the real problem so well before...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom