News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

durangojim

My wife and I went to the lounge this past weekend. It was lovely in the early afternoon and we had drinks in the main bar. They were good but overpriced. In the evening on this past Monday, it was packed. Some was “holding a couch and two chairs” for his hipster friends in the library so we wound up getting a couch outside. It was fine but the server was pretentious and far more interested in talking with guests and “big shotting” himself than actually paying attention to getting drinks. Also some conventioneers wanted to make sure everyone on the veranda could hear them talking so my wife and I took our drinks back to our room. Would definitely go back in the afternoon but not the evening. Something else that was interesting was that our old fashioneds came with an ice sphere in the afternoon but multiple ice cubes in the evening. Tells me the attention to detail is not there at night.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

This new policy is being enforced from today on. Friday Nov. 8 was the last day when you could park at GF to visit Enchanted Rose alone. From today on, you also have to have an ADR for any of the table service restaurants at GF.
This restriction on parking at the monorail resorts is not new and varies widely from day-to-day and even hour-to-hour. In practice it is up to the discretion of the security guard.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Oh. Well then they did a terrible job of enforcing that today. But what you say is probably true. Just the first day jitters. Also truth and full disclosure, the pictures I share are not from today. But I did go today. I just didn't take pictures today.
This restriction on parking at the monorail resorts is not new and varies widely from day-to-day and even hour-to-hour. In practice it is up to the discretion of the security guard.
Not looking to go into a debate about parking at resorts. I found out about this last night, and wanted to share. :)

Club Cooloholic

My wife and I went to the lounge this past weekend. It was lovely in the early afternoon and we had drinks in the main bar. They were good but overpriced. In the evening on this past Monday, it was packed. Some ****** was “holding a couch and two chairs” for his hipster friends in the library so we wound up getting a couch outside. It was fine but the server was pretentious and far more interested in talking with guests and “big shotting” himself than actually paying attention to getting drinks. Also some conventioneers wanted to make sure everyone on the veranda could hear them talking so my wife and I took our drinks back to our room. Would definitely go back in the afternoon but not the evening. Something else that was interesting was that our old fashioneds came with an ice sphere in the afternoon but multiple ice cubes in the evening. Tells me the attention to detail is not there at night.
Sounds like they could use more ice sphere makers. I hate that hold seats crap, especially that many. Next time sit and say, when your friends get here we can talk, but right now the server would probably prefer to make some money helping a real live guest, not a hypothetical one

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My wife and I went to the lounge this past weekend. It was lovely in the early afternoon and we had drinks in the main bar. They were good but overpriced. In the evening on this past Monday, it was packed. Some ****** was “holding a couch and two chairs” for his hipster friends in the library so we wound up getting a couch outside. It was fine but the server was pretentious and far more interested in talking with guests and “big shotting” himself than actually paying attention to getting drinks. Also some conventioneers wanted to make sure everyone on the veranda could hear them talking so my wife and I took our drinks back to our room. Would definitely go back in the afternoon but not the evening. Something else that was interesting was that our old fashioneds came with an ice sphere in the afternoon but multiple ice cubes in the evening. Tells me the attention to detail is not there at night.
That sounds...thoroughly awful.

I have noticed the loud millennial element growing in frequency the last few years...often offering up that they are using their parents DVC 😂

...I suppose it was inevitable

Alice a

That sounds...thoroughly awful.

I have noticed the loud millennial element growing in frequency the last few years...often offering up that they are using their parents DVC 😂

...I suppose it was inevitable

okay, boomer :D

You know the oldest millenials are in their 40s, yeah? And if they're on their parents' DVCs, it's likely because they came of working age in a world that rarely provides a living wage without a fight and where employers have no loyalty.

Why shame someone for being fiscally responsible and using their parent's DVC instead of going into debt? Good for them.

RobWDW1971

You know the oldest millenials are in their 40s, yeah? And if they're on their parents' DVCs, it's likely because they came of working age in a world that rarely provides a living wage without a fight and where employers have no loyalty.

Why shame someone for being fiscally responsible and using their parent's DVC instead of going into debt? Good for them.
Come on everyone, there are more than enough reasons to be annoyed by Millenials, we don’t need to add DVC borrowing to the list. ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yeah...not the approach I was really taking...

But ok...you be bad 🤭
Come on everyone, there are more than enough reasons to be annoyed by Millenials, we don’t need to add DVC borrowing to the list. ;)

Like poison ivy...can only hope To contain them

UNCgolf

I went by this lounge last week -- very unimpressive. I would have never thought it was supposed to be connected to Beauty and the Beast if I didn't know about it beforehand.

Anyone heard anything more about the rumors they plan to gut the lobby and make it "modern"? That would be a travesty; it's gorgeous as is and themed very well. Turning into a random modern luxury hotel would take away any reason to stay there.

MikeyK72

Agree. My wife and I had drinks there twice this past week. First night in the old Mizner’s part which I guess is the library now. Vibe felt forced and stuffy, we weren’t feeling like we wanted to hang out there. Also, the $20 old fashioned was not balanced and a joke for that price. I know that comes down to the bartender but really as a featured cocktail all bartenders should know how to nail it. Second time we sat at the bar which had a much better vibe...stayed for two cocktails that time...both Jack and Cokes for me since a good old fashioned is hard to find at Disney.

durangojim

Agree. My wife and I had drinks there twice this past week. First night in the old Mizner’s part which I guess is the library now. Vibe felt forced and stuffy, we weren’t feeling like we wanted to hang out there. Also, the $20 old fashioned was not balanced and a joke for that price. I know that comes down to the bartender but really as a featured cocktail all bartenders should know how to nail it. Second time we sat at the bar which had a much better vibe...stayed for two cocktails that time...both Jack and Cokes for me since a good old fashioned is hard to find at Disney.
If you want a consistently good old fashioned at Disney (and most of them can be hit or miss), go over to Homecomin' Kitchen at Disney Springs. I've never had a bad one and you can even get it to go from their window.

LSLS

I went by this lounge last week -- very unimpressive. I would have never thought it was supposed to be connected to Beauty and the Beast if I didn't know about it beforehand.

Anyone heard anything more about the rumors they plan to gut the lobby and make it "modern"? That would be a travesty; it's gorgeous as is and themed very well. Turning into a random modern luxury hotel would take away any reason to stay there.

I mean, there's no way they would do that, right? People would go berserk.

Sue_Vongello

I mean, there's no way they would do that, right? People would go berserk.

You would think people would go berserk, I would for sure ... but I felt like Mizner’s was the start of that and I certainly felt like I was part of the minority who were upset about the changes. People seemed to love the idea of a “beauty and the beast” bar no matter how ridiculous it fits (or doesn’t fit at all) into the theme ... which brings me to this ... I used to be mad at Disney for making absolutely indefensible themeing decisions but in reality the majority of the people who go now don’t care enough about themeing or maybe they don’t know what they have had until it’s gone. Case in point is Mizner’s where I saw the overwhelming comments on Facebook, Insta, etc were “yay, Beauty and the Beast bar!!”

Club Cooloholic

You would think people would go berserk, I would for sure ... but I felt like Mizner’s was the start of that and I certainly felt like I was part of the minority who were upset about the changes. People seemed to love the idea of a “beauty and the beast” bar no matter how ridiculous it fits (or doesn’t fit at all) into the theme ... which brings me to this ... I used to be mad at Disney for making absolutely indefensible themeing decisions but in reality the majority of the people who go now don’t care enough about themeing or maybe they don’t know what they have had until it’s gone. Case in point is Mizner’s where I saw the overwhelming comments on Facebook, Insta, etc were “yay, Beauty and the Beast bar!!”
Just looking at the pics...doesn't look really like a Beauty and The Beast bar. Just a regular bar, that you would find in any fine hotel. Which means to say.. not a homerun.

Club Cooloholic

So very unlike Trader Sam's at the Polynesian. I loved the decor, theming drinks, the Cast member's interaction with us. Now THAT was a homerun!! Why they didn't make it any bigger is a mystery though. Marie
I think they wanted to keep that hole in the wall atmosphere, I have been to the DL one, and you can get seating bit easier at that one, which is surprising because you can walk from the parks right to it. It being WDW, people get kind of fanatical and obsessive about things compared to the west coast. What I don't get is, after seeing how popular Sams was, how could they not be inspired to do more theming at hotel bars(and restaurants)? We keep seeing more muted colors, bland decorating in their new offerings(Riviera anyone?) so it seems obvious people WANT more theming. Is it any wonder why BOG is so popular? It certainly isn't the food.

Bocabear

I think they wanted to keep that hole in the wall atmosphere, I have been to the DL one, and you can get seating bit easier at that one, which is surprising because you can walk from the parks right to it. It being WDW, people get kind of fanatical and obsessive about things compared to the west coast. What I don't get is, after seeing how popular Sams was, how could they not be inspired to do more theming at hotel bars(and restaurants)? We keep seeing more muted colors, bland decorating in their new offerings(Riviera anyone?) so it seems obvious people WANT more theming. Is it any wonder why BOG is so popular? It certainly isn't the food.
I agree 1000% This recent trend towards turning the classic hotels into bland Marriott spaces is exactly the opposite of what people seem to be wanting...If I am paying more money I do not want my vacation experience to be more average...I want it more special. Theming doesn't have to be hokey...John Hench understood this and his legacy buildings combine story-telling architecture with a timeless elegance no one in today's Disney seems to understand... Trader Sam's is intentionally hokey and works perfectly. Perhaps if the Mizner Bar had created a beautifully detailed Mizner library full of quirky thematic touches with an air of sophistication, elegance and whimsy, it would have not only matched the hotel better but it could have propelled more of a backstory... and honestly who wouldn't want to have their $20 Old Fashioned in a spectacular movie set of a Victorian bar VS a Homewood Suites breakfast room. Boggles the mind how they botched this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom