News Tower of Terror to operate at reduced capacity due to an extended refurbishment

Marc Davis Fan

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, but...

I wouldn't mind them locking it on a ride profile that includes a drop immediately after the 5th Dimension sequence (that is, dropping rather than going up as the first movement in the drop shaft). Dropping first after moving horizontally seems to be way, way more dramatic and in keeping with the "unusual/bizarre events" feel of the attraction.

...or even just setting it to choose from only ride profiles that feature drops first. I feel as though that makes the whole experience 30% better...

Tom Morrow

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, but...

I wouldn't mind them locking it on a ride profile that includes a drop immediately after the 5th Dimension sequence (that is, dropping rather than going up as the first movement in the drop shaft). Dropping first after moving horizontally seems to be way, way more dramatic and in keeping with the "unusual/bizarre events" feel of the attraction.

...or even just setting it to choose from only ride profiles that feature drops first. I feel as though that makes the whole experience 30% better...
I get what you're saying, but profile 4, which Foxtrot is apparently locked to currently, is noticeably more intense than the others, and it goes up first. It's the only one where the first drop is the longest possible drop.

TimeTrip

Tower stopped running due to tech difficulties at around 9:10pm last night. They managed to get 1 of the 4 elevators working, but the standby wait jumped to 85, after having been blanked from 30 while they sorted things out.

TrojanUSC

Tower stopped running due to tech difficulties at around 9:10pm last night. They managed to get 1 of the 4 elevators working, but the standby wait jumped to 85, after having been blanked from 30 while they sorted things out.

Would be really rare for only 1/4 for to work. It's two ride systems, so generally when one side is down the other two work.

TimeTrip

Would be really rare for only 1/4 for to work. It's two ride systems, so generally when one side is down the other two work.
That's what I thought too. Though two separate groups coming off the line said "1 of 4". The overhead announcement said "Only 1 elevator is working". *shrug*. We were stopped on the fastpass line outside the hotel door for about 20 minutes without anyone being let in to the rooms. I would have thought that half the boiler room would have cleared by that point it they had 2 of 4.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

I get what you're saying, but profile 4, which Foxtrot is apparently locked to currently, is noticeably more intense than the others, and it goes up first. It's the only one where the first drop is the longest possible drop.

That’s true. Maybe the optimal solution would be an improved “ultimate” drop profile that’s comparably intense to Profile 4, but that drops first. I think that’s actually more-or-less how I’d describe the drop profile of DCA’s ToT (RIP).

bubbles1812

That's what I thought too. Though two separate groups coming off the line said "1 of 4". The overhead announcement said "Only 1 elevator is working". *shrug*. We were stopped on the fastpass line outside the hotel door for about 20 minutes without anyone being let in to the rooms. I would have thought that half the boiler room would have cleared by that point it they had 2 of 4.
What is the order of the elevators coming into the room in terms of name? I guess I never realized that had names... heck if one is profile locked to 4, I’d pick that one every time. I miss the more intense ride. (I’ll be at DHS this Saturday and Sunday)

TrojanUSC

What is the order of the elevators coming into the room in terms of name? I guess I never realized that had names... heck if one is profile locked to 4, I’d pick that one every time. I miss the more intense ride. (I’ll be at DHS this Saturday and Sunday)

If you’re facing the four elevators from the left: Alpha and Bravo (Echo Side), Charlie and Delta (Foxtrot Side). The dropshafts are Echo and Foxtrot. Each side is its own, completely independent ride system.

ToTBellHop

Take this with a grain of salt but word on the street is that Echo is intentionally more aggressive than before, and Foxtrot will follow suit soon.

Remember though that the ride used to be this aggressive, and you just got used to it being "softer" and toned down.
It's like when you are dating someone, and then get married, and then threaten to leave them and they try harder so you stay.

Wait, what?

Magenta Panther

To me, the appeal of the Tower isn't so much the elevator drops - it's the artful and effective storytelling leading up to it. That's what I'd like to see enhanced. I wish TDO would fix the corridor hallway darkness issue, put the damn speakers back where they belong, and add even MORE effects if it's possible to do so without messing up the originals. And turn all the effects back on for Christ's sake. How hard is THAT to do?

Rodj

I do have to say after watching many videos post-refurb that the blasters where the glass ghosts are in the drop shaft seem to be greatly improved and blast out a ton of air.

180º

I do have to say after watching many videos post-refurb that the blasters where the glass ghosts are in the drop shaft seem to be greatly improved and blast out a ton of air.
I had no idea something like this ever existed. Do you have an example of a video you’ve seen? I can’t picture this at all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I had no idea something like this ever existed. Do you have an example of a video you’ve seen? I can’t picture this at all.
A video wouldn’t really help.... they still make the noise even when nothing comes out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom