News Tony's Most Merriest Town Square Party comes to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party for 2018

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The problem is: When rubes buy into these up-charge-event-within-an-up-charge-event offerings, thinking they are some great value because they bought the Disney PR fluff hook, line, and sinker, they become the rule and not the exception, and often expand to include things that used to be included with regular admission or the hard ticket event. Example: "premium" viewing locations that come with dinner and/or dessert packages. Those spots used to be available to anyone, now they are only available to those who pay extra. You used to get all the cookies and hot chocolate you wanted, plus a family picture, at MVMCP. Maybe you still can get the former, but not the latter, while the price has gone up dramatically in the past 10-12 years.

There was a time, it was decades really, when every guest was treated the same once they entered that park. It didn't matter if they stayed at the Grand Floridian or at a Motel 6 on 192, once they entered the turnstiles they were equal. That philosophy was changing during the late years of Eisner, but was tossed out completely when Bob Iger took over. It has been replaced with monetizing any and everything possible, and that has accelerated with Bob "Synergy/Merch Guy" Chapek as head of P&R.

JohnD

The problem is: When rubes buy into these up-charge-event-within-an-up-charge-event offerings, thinking they are some great value because they bought the Disney PR fluff hook, line, and sinker, they become the rule and not the exception, and often expand to include things that used to be included with regular admission or the hard ticket event. Example: "premium" viewing locations that come with dinner and/or dessert packages. Those spots used to be available to anyone, now they are only available to those who pay extra. You used to get all the cookies and hot chocolate you wanted, plus a family picture, at MVMCP. Maybe you still can get the former, but not the latter, while the price has gone up dramatically in the past 10-12 years.

There was a time, it was decades really, when every guest was treated the same once they entered that park. It didn't matter if they stayed at the Grand Floridian or at a Motel 6 on 192, once they entered the turnstiles they were equal. That philosophy was changing during the late years of Eisner, but was tossed out completely when Bob Iger took over. It has been replaced with monetizing any and everything possible, and that has accelerated with Bob "Synergy/Merch Guy" Chapek as head of P&R.

In addition, the actual party becomes diminished in value. At one point, if you were smart enough, you could get a prime spot at Tomorrowland Terrace to see the fireworks if you got there early. No extra money. Now Disney monetizes that and a spot, you could have had with the party ticket, is now an upcharge. Same thing with Tony's. I have no idea where the special reserve spot for the parade will be. But it will be a prime spot that used to be claimed by guests who got there early enough with the party ticket. No more. Now it will cost you. And that spot will be lost to regular paying party guests. You still want that spot (and maybe "artisanal cheeses?") -- cough up twice as much, thank you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The negativity is incredible on these posts and this especially. It’s an option or add on, if you don’t like don’t get. Either way looks like a great OPTION or ADD ON sounds pretty cool.

As someone who gets accused by certain haters of being a pixie duster, let me say this is an awful value. And this is from someone who, this year alone, bought two After Hours, a Halloween party, a Christmas party, and a Candlelight package. They'd have to drop the price to less than $25 for me to even consider it, and they're asking for a hundred.

JohnD

As someone who gets accused by certain haters of being a pixie duster, let me say this is an awful value. And this is from someone who, this year alone, bought two After Hours, a Halloween party, a Christmas party, and a Candlelight package. They'd have to drop the price to less than $25 for me to even consider it, and they're asking for a hundred.

Yep. At my trip scheduled for the week of Dec 9, I'm paying extra for:
  • Dec 9: Jingle Bam Dessert Party
  • Dec 10: Candlelight Package (Via Napoli)
  • Dec 11: MVMCP
  • Dec 12: ROL package (Tiffins) but could cancel (Seen the show. Nothing special).
  • Dec. 13: Nothing so far. Thinking of Marceline to Magic tour.
So, count me as No for paying twice as much during MVMCP. I'm already paying $100 for 8 hours. Why pay another $100 for overlapping three of those eight hours?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
In addition, the actual party becomes diminished in value. At one point, if you were smart enough, you could get a prime spot at Tomorrowland Terrace to see the fireworks if you got there early. No extra money. Now Disney monetizes that and a spot, you could have had with the party ticket, is now an upcharge. Same thing with Tony's. I have no idea where the special reserve spot for the parade will be. But it will be a prime spot that used to be claimed by guests who got there early enough with the party ticket. No more. Now it will cost you. And that spot will be lost to regular paying party guests. You still want that spot (and maybe "artisanal cheeses?") -- cough up twice as much, thank you.

We used to sit in the Tomorrowland Terrace and watch Wishes! on every trip. It was a great location and you could see most of the fireworks. Plus, it was flexible for us - the kids (when we had only had 2 or 3 and they were less than 6 years old) could sit in a stroller and watch, or walk around, or just do whatever, without needing to worry about the crush of people. And we could get Mickey Ice Cream Bars for everyone for less than $20 to enjoy while we watched. I have also pictures of my wife and oldest two boys sitting on the ground watching Wishes! from the walkway to Liberty Square (Where we'd watch depended on the day, but we always did from the Terrace at least once per visit). Needless to say, we weren't happy when "our spot" was taken away and replaced by an over-priced up-charge dessert party.

RollerCoaster

Do people who pay for these pricey add-ons really enjoy them or think they're getting value in what they're paying for? The Christmas party itself is not that special anymore and very expensive.

Disney can do as Disney pleases when it comes to making money, but this is a total rip off! Isn't Tony's marginal to begin with? That's the reputation this restaurant has from what I've read.

note2001

Do people who pay for these pricey add-ons really enjoy them or think they're getting value in what they're paying for? The Christmas party itself is not that special anymore and very expensive.

Disney can do as Disney pleases when it comes to making money, but this is a total rip off! Isn't Tony's marginal to begin with? That's the reputation this restaurant has from what I've read.
As much as we like to keep thinking of ourselves as individuals, all too many humans are sheep. They'll follow each other to their doom if convinced it is the way to go. Yes, these folk putting out hundreds on top of party tickets already will convince themselves it was very much worth it. They will have a need to rationalize it, and hey, it's Disney.

Yes, Tony's has one of the worst reputations for food service in WDW but I believe all the deserts served will be premade at a central bakery and shipped in. (For those interested, unless things have changed, I believe the main bakery is at the boardwalk.)

Bocabear

I feel sure there is a gigantic central bakery somewhere on property...They may bake some thngs at the Boardwalk, but that space is not large enough to supply baked goods to the whole property.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I feel sure there is a gigantic central bakery somewhere on property...They may bake some thngs at the Boardwalk, but that space is not large enough to supply baked goods to the whole property.
My guess: the desserts will come in from the central freezer.

SSH

I did hear that Tony's has improved a lot recently - just in past month or two. They apparently got a new head chef and earned some positive reviews. Of course, I only heard this on the boards, so not from personal experience.

Has anyone else heard that? I would love to dine there again for a regular meal - the place has a lot of nostalgic memories for me from the time I dined there back in the '80s, way before dining plans existed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I did hear that Tony's has improved a lot recently - just in past month or two. They apparently got a new head chef and earned some positive reviews. Of course, I only heard this on the boards, so not from personal experience.

Has anyone else heard that? I would love to dine there again for a regular meal - the place has a lot of nostalgic memories for me from the time I dined there back in the '80s, way before dining plans existed.

The DIS which had hated Tony's and regularly pans it (yes, there are Disney fan blogs that freely post negative reviews and still get invited to press events) had a video a month ago saying it had improved to the point of being 'fine' rather than 'awful.' They complimented what the new chef was doing, and talked to her. But, they said the place still needs to improve.

JohnD

Anybody going to the first MVMCP tomorrrow? If so, can you report exactly where the Tony's viewing area for the parade is?

note2001

I was just reading that the Tony's viewing area is by the flagpole / under the Christmas tree. About 80% of the area is sectioned off for this, and it was not crowded at all.

JohnD

I was just reading that the Tony's viewing area is by the flagpole / under the Christmas tree. About 80% of the area is sectioned off for this, and it was not crowded at all.

Naturally. Which used to be a recommended spot to see it if you got there early enough. Now you must pay. The reason it’s not crowded: Why cough up twice as much for a few nibbles and a parade view?

Well, my favorite spot is just in front of the train station as the parade comes around the turn. I can still watch from there.

note2001

Naturally. Which used to be a recommended spot to see it if you got there early enough. Now you must pay. The reason it’s not crowded: Why cough up twice as much for a few nibbles and a parade view?

Well, my favorite spot is just in front of the train station as the parade comes around the turn. I can still watch from there.
Shh, or they'll turn the train station into an up-charge party event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom