Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

erasure fan1

As well as Lion king and Aladdin…There is no reason to doubt Little Mermaid will not make bank
I am not shy about my disdain for the Disney remakes. But there is zero reason to believe that all of a sudden this remake of the final renaissance film won't do extremely well. I would be extremely shocked if it doesn't finish close to Aladdin, lion king and beast.

LSLS

I think we're distinguishing between a 'remake' and a 'reimagining.'

For remakes, BatB, Cinderella, and Jungle Book did well theatrically.
Oh, I thought they were making the case they reimagines arent good but they hope this one will be, and based on the trailer I assumed this was a remake as well (so assumed the two terms wer being used as equal meanings). I actually like the reimaginings if that's what we are calling them to an extent. At least there is some creativity to them (is cruella really a reimagining or just a prequel? Honestly I'm lost in the terminology at this point).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Halle Bailey surprises two aspiring teen filmmakers with an invitation to be the star's personal guests at Disney's 'The Little Mermaid' live-action movie world premiere​

GimpYancIent

A fresh story, with another mermaid (not Ariel), fresh music score, fresh characters, a fresh view As In Actual Creativity that would spark interest and open minds. This whole redo of the existing story is Meh entertainment. What's wrong with bringing on a new mermaid (not named Ariel) with her own unique story? The live action remake thing is now bland and stale, not creative, yeah there is some money to be made simply because it's simple entertainment.

LSLS

It's not easy money with a different mermaid. Say what you want, this movie is going to make a lot of money without having to do much. It's a low risk movie for them. I don't like these live action remakes (or whatever they are called), but people keep showing up for them.

LSLS

Not as much as in the beginning. I think everyone is getting sick of it. And if they aren't going to be loyal to their own source than what is the point?
You can want everyone to get sick of it, but all the ones based on those super popular animations have done big numbers. I'll be surprised if this doesn't do incredibly well.

tcool123

The Last 5

Pinocchio, Cruella, Mulan, Lady and the Tramp, Maleficent: MoE
Except the majority of those films were successful.

Maleficent 2 needed to make 500 mil to become a success, it reached that with just Box Office and Home Video. A third Maleficent is currently in development with the first draft of the script being done.

Mulan was released when most movie theaters were closed. It went on to become one of the most popular films in 2020, and like Maleficent 2 it has a sequel under development.

Cruella was a big success winning plenty of awards, good reviews from critics and audiences, has a sequel on the way with Emma Stone confirmed to return.

It’s funny, you would assume if they were flops Disney wouldn’t make sequels for them.

Pinocchio alongside Lady and the Tramp? Those were garbage films though, and given Disney doesn’t brag about them likely underperformed.

erasure fan1

Just because someone has been on a sitcom for 6 years doesn't mean they should play an evil villain in a big budget movie.
Maybe not. For Can you ever forgive me, she was was nominated for best leading actress. She can act if needed. Now if you want to question Disneys ability to write the part to actually be good. That I'll agree. Now she hasn't helped herself by doing so many low level comedies lately. But I can see her in the part. Now if that part is actually compelling? that's another story.

erasure fan1

The Member Berries are running out. People are less trusting of Disney (Look at Antman 3).
They still have a few berries left in the container. Lilo and stitch will be one that should do great as well as it has a big following. Then they will go the direct to DVD strategy with sequels like Aladdin 2, lion king... Don't forget they have a whole set of beloved pixar films they can tarnish as well. Unless by some crazy chance mermaid does strange world or lightyear numbers, I see no chance of a course correction anytime soon.

DKampy

Melissa McCarthy is a horrible choice for Ursula. She's mostly known for being ridiculous in whatever she's in. That's like having Will Ferrell play King Triton.
Watch St. Vincent or can You Forgive Me? And Tell me she can only be ridiculous… she has some Academy Nominated range when she is not staring in her husband movies… whose movies would not get green lit if if they were not set to Star his wife… IMO… he is ruining her acting reputation… your comment being a prime example

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Melissa McCarthy is a horrible choice for Ursula. She's mostly known for being ridiculous in whatever she's in. That's like having Will Ferrell play King Triton.

Jedijax719

A fresh story, with another mermaid (not Ariel), fresh music score, fresh characters, a fresh view As In Actual Creativity that would spark interest and open minds. This whole redo of the existing story is Meh entertainment. What's wrong with bringing on a new mermaid (not named Ariel) with her own unique story? The live action remake thing is now bland and stale, not creative, yeah there is some money to be made simply because it's simple entertainment.
And if they did that, it would get a whole slew of complaints about how unoriginal it is and a copy of TLM, no matter the story. Actually, ANYTHING that is original gets complaints about being a copy of something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom