News Magic of Disney at MCO to close - new store in Spring 2019

note2001

Disney keeps taking a butterknife to my heart and is sloppily cutting it out. My opinion: What a depressing store. That was a quick way to destroy the magical cloud I am usually looking to step on one last time before boarding the plane for home. I will be sure to avert my eyes as we walk past.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't mind the new look World of Disney, but this seems very antiseptic to me. All-white seems like a very strange choice as it's not exactly a warm or welcoming color.

Incomudro

I'll agree with the others here, I'm glad the store is back - but yes - the cozy and comforting warmth of Disney has been traded in for a cold sterility.
Cold, clean and sterile has it's place - even within certain WDW areas.
But those Disney stores didn't just sell Disney merchandise, the gave you some of the feel of Disney itself.

Weather_Lady

I don’t travel enough to justify paying for precheck, but I have used it through the lottery 3-4 times and it’s super convenient.

Sorry to get off on a tangent -- but depending on how often you travel, you might also look into NEXUS, which is the US/Canada Trusted Traveler program. It costs half of what TSA Precheck does, is also good for 5 years, and carries all the same benefits. The only downside: you do have to go to a personal interview at one of several locations on the border. We scheduled ours in Niagara Falls and made a family weekend trip out of it...

Jahona

I'm curious for the parents out there. While the store may look cleaner, does the easier access to merchandise appeal to your kids vs the older more themed experience?

Incomudro

I'm curious for the parents out there. While the store may look cleaner, does the easier access to merchandise appeal to your kids vs the older more themed experience?

My sons are 17 now, and I can promise you that even at this age - they would miss the old store.
When they were younger they would definatley prefer the previous version.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

The merchandise definitely pops against the white, which is what they are going for. Whether that is more appealing to children than having a heavily themed store (which I like in certain situations) where the merchandise is more like to blend in is hard to say....

I am just excited that they have been upping their merchandise game over the past year or so, especially for adults. Much more variety and some unique items.

Jahona

The merchandise definitely pops against the white, which is what they are going for. Whether that is more appealing to children than having a heavily themed store (which I like in certain situations) where the merchandise is more like to blend in is hard to say....

I am just excited that they have been upping their merchandise game over the past year or so, especially for adults. Much more variety and some unique items.

This is just something interesting to me. A part of my company focuses on retail design. I've had conversations with those guys and they all think and design based around similar to what we see with this store. Going back to my memories of the old school Disney Stores, I remember wanting to go visit the store for certain themed elements not exactly for the merchandise. Now I will say that the current iteration of the Disney Store that is near me is over the top themed and I love it for that fact.

As for the better quality and variety of adult merchandise I wholeheartedly agree.

Flynnwriter

Disney has LOST THEIR MIND! This grey, barren store is the opposite of magic. This is all Bob Chapek. This all goes with the new boring hotels, white hotel rooms, and World of Disney store. No theming, minimal architecture, no placemaking, aim low mentality. Worry.

tirian

This is just something interesting to me. A part of my company focuses on retail design. I've had conversations with those guys and they all think and design based around similar to what we see with this store. Going back to my memories of the old school Disney Stores, I remember wanting to go visit the store for certain themed elements not exactly for the merchandise. Now I will say that the current iteration of the Disney Store that is near me is over the top themed and I love it for that fact.

As for the better quality and variety of adult merchandise I wholeheartedly agree.
Another fantastic make over!! Very WOD, love it! I wish I knew who to commend for bulldozing the hideous over the top style but they deserve a raise. So glad to see Disney moving away from the ugly 1990s aesthetic with these stores!

The merch pops out just like at Wal-Mart or Sears.

Casper Gutman

Another fantastic make over!! Very WOD, love it! I wish I knew who to commend for bulldozing the hideous over the top style but they deserve a raise. So glad to see Disney moving away from the ugly 1990s aesthetic with these stores!
Well, I mean, the first Apple Store opened in 2001, so I guess the aesthetic this is ripping off isn’t TECHNICALLY 90s...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom