News Walt Disney World will not host any further Night of Joy events

Stellajack

Premium Member
Not that I'm defending him by any means, but that quoted comment is from the thread on the war between Disney and Comcast/Universal, not this one.

Little secret. Those "balloon ladies" are volunteers, not official runDisney pacers. Those are the people on the bikes. I got behind them for the last 2 miles of the Princess Half. But I was past the last of the parade buses and was in little danger of being swept, unless I voluntarily decided to stop.

" The Balloon Ladies are volunteer pacers who maintain a 16 minute mile. They are there to encourage and help runners stay ahead of the minimum pace."

Still, the "shame" of the possibility of being swept! :eek: (throwing upward palm to forehead!) I do suspect, though, that the RunDisney events are more of a nuisance to CMs than to Disney. They are a tremendous amount of fun for participants plus they bring in lots of $$ at otherwise slower weeks.

Sad that NoJ discontinuation has further divided people. I expect that Disney has some really valid reasons for doing this, even though we probably will not ever know what those reasons are. As a Christian, I personally do not consider this cancellation to be discriminatory.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Still, the "shame" of the possibility of being swept! :eek: (throwing upward palm to forehead!) I do suspect, though, that the RunDisney events are more of a nuisance to CMs than to Disney. They are a tremendous amount of fun for participants plus they bring in lots of $$ at otherwise slower weeks.

Sad that NoJ discontinuation has further divided people. I expect that Disney has some really valid reasons for doing this, even though we probably will not ever know what those reasons are. As a Christian, I personally do not consider this cancellation to be discriminatory.

Based upon the reactions of CMs along the course, they appear to enjoy it as much, if not more, than runners do. They are who we are cheering us along. In World Showcase, CMs are proudly waiving their country's flag as we run by. Mostly likely because they aren't involved in crowd control.

Goofyernmost

Yep. Right in the park there is a performance where Bible passages are read and sacred songs are sung about the birth of Jesus who is God in the flesh. No Frosty and Jingle Bells here. Purely religious. And Walt's idea.

And stand for the Hallelujah chorus, people!
Was that in Disneyland before it came to WDW (Epcot). Otherwise I have a hard time imagining Walt having that idea. Could be, but, like many things, I had never heard it before.

Walt Disney1955

Yep. Right in the park there is a performance where Bible passages are read and sacred songs are sung about the birth of Jesus who is God in the flesh. No Frosty and Jingle Bells here. Purely religious. And Walt's idea.

And stand for the Hallelujah chorus, people!

It shouldn't surprise anyone. Walt was quite proud to have his nephew being the minister who prayed over Disneyland on opening day. There was also a Catholic Priest and a Rabbi who were there, although just his nephew spoke. The others I guess you could say were representing the Jewish and Catholics. Heck, it was 1955, even if you weren't religious you respected the faiths that helped shape your society that you lived and thrived in. People just complain about everything nowadays.

Again, I am not sure where Walt stood with his faith, he wasn't a big churchgoer by the sounds of it but it has been said that he was raised in a Christian home as Elias was known as a Christian (Neal Gabler's book). Either way, Walt at least seemed to have plenty of respect that way and I think he felt it was important at that time even if he may not have been a big practicing Christian himself. This was 1955, even Southern California was pretty "traditional" then.

Rumrunner

There was so much crazy stories coming from guest behavior during Night of Joy at Magic Kingdom. I think there was a thread that told stories about these.
You and others have posted about the behavior. Can you offer any specifics and what did you witness?

mysmile4u

One of the things people don't realize about churches is that in a lot of places they bring kids for "missionary" work - often they are the most troublesome kids in the area. And we bring kids whose parents are sending them to church because they aren't doing the parenting work - they are deficient in that area, so they look for other people who they think can fix their kids. They often aren't even members. So many kids at the churches I have been at are "dropped off" and hop church to church - whoever has an event and is willing to deal with their problem this week. So we take the rap for misbehaving kids, but we are just trying to reach out to them, it is part of the community work churches do.

The churches understand the chaos this leads to, but they have a goal. Disney, on the other hand, just sees all the unruly kids, which I understand. And in a way, I can understand how NOJ might bring in worse kids than other events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom