News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

ToTBellHop

The only resort buildings that could arguably need work to that extent are the two they don't have problems filling up - Poly and Contemporary. Elsewhere, the concrete construction of all the expansion resorts is easy to maintain and will last many more decades.

Some of the DS area hotels, though... 🤮
Given demand, I’m shocked they haven’t taken down the South Garden Wing motels for another DVC tower there. They have a tower shaped like an A and another shaped like a C, so I challenge them to build a B-shaped tower. If Hard Rock can build a giant guitar in Ft. Lauderdale, Disney can complete Disney’s ABCs Resort to finally fulfill Walt’s dream.

I’m only half joking. How is the South Garden Wing still there?

PREMiERdrum

Given demand, I’m shocked they haven’t taken down the South Garden Wing motels for another DVC tower there. They have a tower shaped like an A and another shaped like a C, so I challenge them to build a B-shaped tower. If Hard Rock can build a giant guitar in Ft. Lauderdale, Disney can complete Disney’s ABCs Resort to finally fulfill Walt’s dream.

I’m only half joking. How is the South Garden Wing still there?

Those old "modern" Best Westerns only survive because enough people want to stay "on the loop" but can't really afford to. The second that softens, I have no doubt the Garden Wing will be razed "for future expansion."

In all honesty, I would not be surprised to see them start discussing another MK-area DVC once that park's expansion plans are announced. I'd give it 50/50 to happen.

ToTBellHop

Those old "modern" Best Westerns only survive because enough people want to stay "on the loop" but can't really afford to. The second that softens, I have no doubt the Garden Wing will be razed "for future expansion."

In all honesty, I would not be surprised to see them start discussing another MK-area DVC once that park's expansion plans are announced. I'd give it 50/50 to happen.
I’m surprised they are willing to sell Contemporary rooms at Wilderness Lodge rates. It lessens the exclusivity of one of their premium offerings.

PREMiERdrum

I’m surprised they are willing to sell Contemporary rooms at Wilderness Lodge rates. It lessens the exclusivity of one of their premium offerings.
In its current form, it's the most disjointed resort exercise on the whole property. Competing against Riviera, that's saying something. If the monorail didn't literally drive thru the middle, it would have needed a top-to-bottom rethink and retheme just to stay competitive.

ToTBellHop

In its current form, it's the most disjointed resort exercise on the whole property. Competing against Riviera, that's saying something. If the monorail didn't literally drive thru the middle, it would have needed a top-to-bottom rethink and retheme just to stay competitive.
Thank goodness 1960s Imagineers were visionaries. They are still cashing the checks on that to this day.

Kids still stare in amazement at the monorail passing through the cinder block.

They would never attempt something as daring as this or SSE nowadays. Can’t even commit to maintaining SSE….

lazyboy97o

The only resort buildings that could arguably need work to that extent are the two they don't have problems filling up - Poly and Contemporary. Elsewhere, the concrete construction of all the expansion resorts is easy to maintain and will last many more decades.
It’s more the other way around. The original modular steel system of the Contemporary and Polynesian provides a consistency, uniformity and adaptability not found in the subsequent resort buildings.

PREMiERdrum

It’s more the other way around. The original modular steel system of the Contemporary and Polynesian provides a consistency, uniformity and adaptability not found in the subsequent resort buildings.
Adaptability for sure, but there are issues with both complexes that thus far have only partially been dealt with. Regardless, they have lots and lots of life left.

mattpeto

I’d be really shocked if the 60B doesn’t include plans on a logistics enhancement at WDW. The skyliner has been a massive hit, and has improved the guest experience of 1 moderate and 2 values, and more importantly allowed Disney to charge more per night.

A new DVC project can partially fund this logistical improvement, like it did with the Riveria. If MK adds a 2nd entrance, a skyliner station from Reflections makes some sense. But not sure what else they would connect on that side, and probably will just stick with an added boat launch.

Still with the investment mostly focused on AK in the near term, this is the time to add a station that connects AKL, Coronado and AK finally. They could add All Stars and BB too on that hub.

They just need a new DVC out that way to help fund it.

BrianLo

Surprised they keep wanting to build new resorts when it’s hard to fill what they have now and the “value” of DVC isn’t what it used to be

We’re still going to need 2-3 more Riviera’s, or 3-5 more Poly Towers or 6-8 more Grand Floridian wing conversions before the DVC train hits the end of the line.

There is an end point though! Maybe 2038/39 is the last ‘new’ DVC product.

Kittlesona

They can’t. People have bought a deeded interest in a specific resort. There are Florida timeshare laws that they have to follow.

Now when the 2042 resorts expire they can do what they want with them.
This is an interesting point that I’m surprised there isn’t more speculation about. Right now those 2042 resorts are essentially “guaranteed” to be “sold-out.” What the heck are they going to do this all this excess inventory in 2042 when they currently have large sections of various resorts mothballed?

BrianLo

This is an interesting point that I’m surprised there isn’t more speculation about. Right now those 2042 resorts are essentially “guaranteed” to be “sold-out.” What the heck are they going to do this all this excess inventory in 2042 when they currently have large sections of various resorts mothballed?

Old Key West will be mostly shifted to 2057. There’s lot of estates they are now acquiring.

I assume Vero and Hilton head will be divested. Boulder Ridge is quite small and Beach Club/Boardwalk are quite desirable. They’ll have a lot of points, but plenty of time to sell them.

Where they’ve screwed themselves is later on. Saratoga heading directly into Animal Kingdom Lodge AND Old Key West 3 years later. None of those resorts move cash rates well at that level of volume.

Tha Realest

Old Key West will be mostly shifted to 2057. There’s lot of estates they are now acquiring.

I assume Vero and Hilton head will be divested. Boulder Ridge is quite small and Beach Club/Boardwalk are quite desirable. They’ll have a lot of points, but plenty of time to sell them.

Where they’ve screwed themselves is later on. Saratoga heading directly into Animal Kingdom Lodge AND Old Key West 3 years later. None of those resorts move cash rates well at that level of volume.
Could Saratoga / OKW be razed/repurposed to a Golden Oak type development?

Tha Realest

I took a look at the way Disney factors in available rooms. It’s not clear, but the annual reports quantifies “available room nights (in the thousands).” These reports also caveat that this does not include rooms utilized by DVC members.

So, what happens when all those contracts expire? Does the room inventory revert back to Disney resorts?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Bingo. OKW will be 65 years old though and will likely meet my friend Mr Bulldozer.

If SSR was expiring today, I think they’d bulldoze it too and create an integrated DVC into a new area of Disney Springs, kinda how GCH is more or less integrated into DTD. But will major retail destinations still exist in 2054? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I also think they’ll bulldoze BW and build something new there; it will buy time as they sell BCV2 and BRV2, but also it will allow them to build a property that actually makes coherent sense, has indoor accessible dining, and is optimized for its absolutely prime location between DHS and Epcot (with significantly bigger rooms, for example).

We’ll see, but no one and I mean no one would build BW today the way it’s laid out, it violates like every principle of good design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom