News Jim MacPhee takes on new role of Senior Vice President, Operations at Walt Disney World

MrHappy

Considering what we've been told from insiders, it sounds like the IP push is going to continue. They may pare down or cancel projects (business as usual), but IP will persist. Hence the recently announced plans for "Pixar Pier" in DCA.
True. I'm not discounting the Insiders but for example the rumored change from Brave to Poppins is a sign to me that IP/Princess/Marvel mania may not always prevail in the future (I know Poppins is an IP but it's closer to classic than I-Please). Maybe with Mr. MacPhee around their would be a more diversified approach so that non-IP improvements/additions would balance it out at least. Or considering @larandtra comments, maybe the more ground-up ideas were not good in the past - at least not allowed to breathe and grow because of management. Sounds like Mr. MacPhee will at least allow for good ideas to be nurtured and to be escalated more so than in the recent past. And good ideas should beat bad ideas. One can hope.

Liberty6

Semi-Off topic question...

Does anybody know who is the new Vice President of Food & Beverage for Walt Disney World? It use to be Beth Scott but she left last year. I ask because there is a position they created that would fit me amazingly well.

Jean Clement is the VP for F&B for the parks segment. He started at DLP in the early 90’s and has also worked in Tokyo. His resume is all F&B most recently heading up concept development.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was never a fan of them moving mid level execs around just cause...it's bad for the consistency/approach and frustrates the execs because they are ultimately dead end, lateral moves...

...this guy is at least a guy with park experience...so that's good.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Ask yourself this- Why would executive leadership promote someone to greater positions of power if they showed ANY sign of being at odds with their plans? Regardless of whether he had any say in the matter, I don't think Jim would have been promoted at all if he wasn't willing to at least put on the facade of agreeing with the GOTG project.

It's similar to Joe Rohde publicly promoting Mission Breakout in DCA. I absolutely do not him being actually happy (behind whatever facade he put up) with having to help create and promote the attraction. I think he did so to maintain a position in the company for longer. So he held his breath and swallowed the bitter medicine.

Unless you have substantial political leverage, Disney bean counters aren't going to promote someone who isn't enthusiastic about their wishes. Even WITH political sway, Tony Baxter was pushed out for speaking his mind and standing up to Iger (his influence was probably why he wasn't fired outright for insubordination, instead given a Legends award and a lucrative "consulting position").
We have to remember what he was promoted to - VP of Operations. That may not have sway over what attractions are done and what attractions are not, but it may have sway over the many little things in *running* the parks - making sure the attractions are working well and not always breaking down, making sure things are clean, well maintained, guest satisfaction, better staffing to ensure that wait times are reduced, etc...

brb1006

We have to remember what he was promoted to - VP of Operations. That may not have sway over what attractions are done and what attractions are not, but it may have sway over the many little things in *running* the parks - making sure the attractions are working well and not always breaking down, making sure things are clean, well maintained, guest satisfaction, better staffing to ensure that wait times are reduced, etc...
Especially after seeing Headless Ursula

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Jean Clement is the VP for F&B for the parks segment. He started at DLP in the early 90’s and has also worked in Tokyo. His resume is all F&B most recently heading up concept development.

Thanks Liberty6! I found out with some research after posting. Now anyone wanna guess his email address?? His old job of F&B Concept Development is what I currently do. Already applied but looking for that foot in the door...

larandtra

Sometimes we see someone in a public light and they have this larger than life personality. They are bold and brilliant. It draws us to them and then we see the creations their mind produces and even when it may not be a project they like, they do a great job. The issue is thats what we see. Sometimes people that bold and creative cant always be patient with or communicate well with top level who arent as creative. There becomes a canyon of issues which leads to creative ideas being stifled or top level saying too bad, this is what we want and youll do it. What if that mind or a group of minds had a voice to span the chasm between the two. Who can frame the argument, frame the idea, make it more palatable even if the top level isnt sold on it? All of the sudden that voice ( as I put it in an earlier post, someone to steer the creative ship) has someone to speak for them so they can just do their thing and not have to worry about making top level happy? If there is a person who can mediate and make everyone happy. As Ive said, this is a lot more of a move than people realize because of the group of people it benefits the most. And when it benefits those people, it will invariably benefit the guests because the experience will be what they expect from Disney.

Kman101

Sometimes we see someone in a public light and they have this larger than life personality. They are bold and brilliant. It draws us to them and then we see the creations their mind produces and even when it may not be a project they like, they do a great job. The issue is thats what we see. Sometimes people that bold and creative cant always be patient with or communicate well with top level who arent as creative. There becomes a canyon of issues which leads to creative ideas being stifled or top level saying too bad, this is what we want and youll do it. What if that mind or a group of minds had a voice to span the chasm between the two. Who can frame the argument, frame the idea, make it more palatable even if the top level isnt sold on it? All of the sudden that voice ( as I put it in an earlier post, someone to steer the creative ship) has someone to speak for them so they can just do their thing and not have to worry about making top level happy? If there is a person who can mediate and make everyone happy. As Ive said, this is a lot more of a move than people realize because of the group of people it benefits the most. And when it benefits those people, it will invariably benefit the guests because the experience will be what they expect from Disney.

You keep making me SUPER optimistic. I'm putting my expectations in check. A shift takes time so no one should think things will be different overnight (not saying you, but everyone in general). I hope we truly do see some change with this move. It does sound promising.

britain

He either agrees with Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Epcot or decided it wasn't worth putting up a fight and was a "yes man" in this case. Which do you think is the case?

Is it possible to say "I'm against doing that, boss, but it's your call," and not be a yes-man? I always took 'yes-man' to mean someone who will say 'Great idea!' when they don't actually think so. Since we aren't privy to MacPhee's comments in meetings let alone his personal thoughts, I don't think we could really know if he's a yes-man or not.

asianway

Ask yourself this- Why would executive leadership promote someone to greater positions of power if they showed ANY sign of being at odds with their plans? Regardless of whether he had any say in the matter, I don't think Jim would have been promoted at all if he wasn't willing to at least put on the facade of agreeing with the GOTG project.

It's similar to Joe Rohde publicly promoting Mission Breakout in DCA. I absolutely do not him being actually happy (behind whatever facade he put up) with having to help create and promote the attraction. I think he did so to maintain a position in the company for longer. So he held his breath and swallowed the bitter medicine.

Unless you have substantial political leverage, Disney bean counters aren't going to promote someone who isn't enthusiastic about their wishes. Even WITH political sway, Tony Baxter was pushed out for speaking his mind and standing up to Iger (his influence was probably why he wasn't fired outright for insubordination, instead given a Legends award and a lucrative "consulting position").
Of all the harm inflicted on EPCOT in the last 20 years, GotG is far from the worst.

MerlinTheGoat

Is it possible to say "I'm against doing that, boss, but it's your call," and not be a yes-man? I always took 'yes-man' to mean someone who will say 'Great idea!' when they don't actually think so. Since we aren't privy to MacPhee's comments in meetings let alone his personal thoughts, I don't think we could really know if he's a yes-man or not.
You're not getting promoted at Disney if you show signs of disagreement with higher ups. Unless you have a huge amount of political leverage to threaten with. Disney execs have a history of not taking well towards constructive criticism.

larandtra

You're not getting promoted at Disney if you show signs of disagreement with higher ups. Unless you have a huge amount of political leverage to threaten with. Disney execs have a history of not taking well towards constructive criticism.
Not in this case. You dont have to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. You have to frame your argument in a way that is palatable and so people dont immediately become defensive and tune you out. Doesnt take a yes man to do a job and thats not what was necessary here. A bridge is what was needed and that is what is in place. When you focus on a microcosm or the old " thats what has always happened and how it is", you fail to see the bigger design. Will it work? Who knows. Some people are incredibly stubborn( on both sides) and do not want to listen because they are sold on their way being the only way. But, the intention was not to have a yes man, the intention was to bridge some gaps so that maybe more things can be accomplished and vision is created by many, but, is singular once agreed upon. Im as pessimistic as anyone about decisions by upper level, but, IM also in the camp of ' Right direction, right person, and much can be fixed or accomplished." Based on what I know of the person and the direction it has been echoed by multiple people this was happening to go in, Im more optimistic. Time will tell. But someone felt like it needed to happen much sooner than the timeline I originally heard.

bcoachable

Not in this case. You dont have to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. You have to frame your argument in a way that is palatable and so people dont immediately become defensive and tune you out. Doesnt take a yes man to do a job and thats not what was necessary here. A bridge is what was needed and that is what is in place. When you focus on a microcosm or the old " thats what has always happened and how it is", you fail to see the bigger design. Will it work? Who knows. Some people are incredibly stubborn( on both sides) and do not want to listen because they are sold on their way being the only way. But, the intention was not to have a yes man, the intention was to bridge some gaps so that maybe more things can be accomplished and vision is created by many, but, is singular once agreed upon. Im as pessimistic as anyone about decisions by upper level, but, IM also in the camp of ' Right direction, right person, and much can be fixed or accomplished." Based on what I know of the person and the direction it has been echoed by multiple people this was happening to go in, Im more optimistic. Time will tell. But someone felt like it needed to happen much sooner than the timeline I originally heard.
This sounds so much like what a football coaches meeting looks like on a game planning day...
Coordinators have thoughts on implementing a new play, but need to have evidence to sell (frame the argument so it is palatable) why a certiain formation or play will work. Then they need to be able to sell it to the Head Coach to get it on the script sheet for the following week. Then must make sure (bridge the information) the position coaches are getting the techniques taught to the players that need to go out and execute the play. Then on Saturday afternoon, everyone on the sidelines cross the fingers hoping for the best when the play is called that it actually works as hoped!

brb1006

You keep making me SUPER optimistic. I'm putting my expectations in check. A shift takes time so no one should think things will be different overnight (not saying you, but everyone in general). I hope we truly do see some change with this move. It does sound promising.
I really hope so in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom