60 Day Fastpass Window for Offsite Hotels

Rob562

This is indeed the case. They promise the shuttles come "every 30 minutes." You can never get an exact time.

Bus Line A serves half the DS Hotels and Line B the other half. Each shuttle stops at two parks. So, if you take the shuttles round trip, at some point going or coming, you'll be stopping at a park you don't want to go to and the other hotels you aren't staying at.

We stayed at the B resort just before it officially became the B (it was the Royal Plaza beforehand) and found that the buses ran pretty close to right on-schedule. The tricky part was that you had to do a little reading to see just what that schedule was.

For going *to* the parks, the schedule lists the time the bus departs the first hotel on its route (the Hilton in our route's case). The bus then runs its route, stopping at each hotel. And pretty much like clockwork, the bus showed up at our hotel (the 3rd on the route) about 4 or 5 minutes after the published route start time. It made one more stop, then was off the the parks. I seem to recall the departures *to* the parks were on the hour and half-hour all morning, with the two park routes starting about 5 minutes apart.

And you are right about the pairing of the theme parks. MK (TTC) and AK share one route, Epcot and Studios share the other. This means that transit times to Epcot is very good, to MK is also good (as long as you're OK having to monorail or ferry after the bus). But then transit time to Studios was only fair, since the bus had to stop at Epcot first. And the time to AK was abysmal, since it goes alllllll the way up to TTC first, and then allllll the way down and over to AK. We started our AK day at Boma so we Ubered to AKL, but knowing the roundabout nature of the buses we'd take Uber just to the park if needed.

As for going home, that's one point where you got it slightly wrong. At least in the evening each park had its own dedicated bus back to the hotels, they didn't do double-duty like on the way to the parks. But this is where you *really* want to make note of the bus schedules. The bus departures from the parks are scheduled very specifically, like "25 and 55 past the hour".
And they keep to those departure times, which we learned our first night. We were walking out to the bus location at the TTC just before 11pm, thinking we were 4 minutes early, only to see the bus driving away in the distance. At first we were angry because we thought the buses were hour-and-half-hour like the morning and we figured the bus just left early. Later we found that its departure time was 55-after-the-hour.

And that brings me to one final tip in this huge post... Learn which Hotel Plaza Blvd hotel is *across* the street from your hotel (Best Western in our case at the B). If you miss your route's bus, the one for the other route should be along in 10-15 minutes. Then just take it until you get to the hotel across the street and walk over to your hotel. No need to wait until your own bus arrives.

-Rob

Monorail_Red_77

Aren't these hotels considered on-site third party hotels? I guess off-site has a better ring, even though the are on actual Disney Property just not owned or operated by Disney. When I think of off-site, I think of places like Orlando World Marriott or Lake Buena Vista Suites. But, maybe that is just me. LOL
I see that some of them do once a week character breakfasts in their hotels too.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Aren't these hotels considered on-site third party hotels? I guess off-site has a better ring, even though the are on actual Disney Property just not owned or operated by Disney. When I think of off-site, I think of places like Orlando World Marriott or Lake Buena Vista Suites. But, maybe that is just me. LOL
I see that some of them do once a week character breakfasts in their hotels too.
"Good neighbor hotel" is the official term.

It has a slightly better ring to it than "on-site third party hotels" although that is an accurate description.:)

BigThunderMatt

Something tells me this is a precursor to some sort of paid unlimited FastPass outside of VIP Tours for Disney Resort Guests to sweeten the staying-on-property pot.

matt9112

Something tells me this is a precursor to some sort of paid unlimited FastPass outside of VIP Tours for Disney Resort Guests to sweeten the staying-on-property pot.

if so i think free fastpass dies....theres simply not enough allocation for that without destroying stand by. NOW if it was some absurd amount than maybe but at anything sane no way.

JoeCamel

if so i think free fastpass dies....theres simply not enough allocation for that without destroying stand by. NOW if it was some absurd amount than maybe but at anything sane no way.
Maybe that is the end game, you have everyone in the FP line BUT now they are paying to stand in the same line that was once free.
Remember when people said they would never sell the parks twice in a day? It is what happens now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have to assume this is purely a money grab for Disney. These hotels must be paying more for the right to offer this. If they weren’t during the trial period they probably are now and/or will be in the future.

Kman101

I have to assume this is purely a money grab for Disney. These hotels must be paying more for the right to offer this. If they weren’t during the trial period they probably are now and/or will be in the future.

It's a money grab I'm OK with. It benefits them and guests. They offered it before but then stopped. I was glad to see it brought back. It's a nice gesture. I just dislike the idea that you can book a FP 60 days out period.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's a money grab I'm OK with. It benefits them and guests. They offered it before but then stopped. I was glad to see it brought back. It's a nice gesture. I just dislike the idea that you can book a FP 60 days out period.
I think we are getting close to a period where that on-site 60 day FP is going to become really valuable. It was virtually impossible to get FP for FoP at 30 days or closer when Pandora opened and it’s still very hard over a year later. I haven’t followed it as close this summer but I’m sure even Toy Story Land FP is hard to get. When things like SW, Rat, Great Mickey Ride, GoTG and Tron open they will all have the some similar level of frenzy (with SW significantly greater). I think Disney knows this and will probably jack up the cost to its “good neighbors” when they see how valuable it is.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you're looking for the company's angle on this, keep in mind that Disney gets a lot of money from these hotels for being officially on their property. Rental of land. Taxes to Reedy Creek. Disney has an incentive to keep these hotels full over the ones outside their zone. And with their own resorts being full so often, they'd rather have guests feed the Disney Springs resorts than area Orlando hotels.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you're looking for the company's angle on this, keep in mind that Disney gets a lot of money from these hotels for being officially on their property. Rental of land. Taxes to Reedy Creek. Disney has an incentive to keep these hotels full over the ones outside their zone. And with their own resorts being full so often, they'd rather have guests feed the Disney Springs resorts than area Orlando hotels.
I think with everything opening in the next 5 years they are going to need that room capacity unless they start building more rooms and fast. It’s similar to the Universal model or the Swan/Dolphin plan under Eisner using 3rd party vendors. Also similar to Disney Springs now. Rent and royalties are steady streams of cash flows while the volitility from the ups and downs of tourism and the economy is someone else’s problem.

beachlover4444

Various reports that WDW is going to extend the 60 day window beyond the Swan and Dolphin and include a select number of Good Neighbor hotels, including those on Hotel Plaza Blvd. They're saying expect every hotel in Disney Springs on Hotel Plaza to be included, along with several other Good Neighbor hotels.

If true, this seems like a dumb idea by Disney. They've taken one of the largest on-site incentives and removed it. If it's true, it will make me take another look at the Disney Springs hotels for sure (as we don't fly and have AP's so we don't need Magical Express and already have magic bands).
I’m thrilled I work for Hilton and the property across from Disney springs will get it. I used to still stay on property but now that they’re charging for parking and I can get this perk too why bother.

beachlover4444

We stayed at the B resort just before it officially became the B (it was the Royal Plaza beforehand) and found that the buses ran pretty close to right on-schedule. The tricky part was that you had to do a little reading to see just what that schedule was.

For going *to* the parks, the schedule lists the time the bus departs the first hotel on its route (the Hilton in our route's case). The bus then runs its route, stopping at each hotel. And pretty much like clockwork, the bus showed up at our hotel (the 3rd on the route) about 4 or 5 minutes after the published route start time. It made one more stop, then was off the the parks. I seem to recall the departures *to* the parks were on the hour and half-hour all morning, with the two park routes starting about 5 minutes apart.

And you are right about the pairing of the theme parks. MK (TTC) and AK share one route, Epcot and Studios share the other. This means that transit times to Epcot is very good, to MK is also good (as long as you're OK having to monorail or ferry after the bus). But then transit time to Studios was only fair, since the bus had to stop at Epcot first. And the time to AK was abysmal, since it goes alllllll the way up to TTC first, and then allllll the way down and over to AK. We started our AK day at Boma so we Ubered to AKL, but knowing the roundabout nature of the buses we'd take Uber just to the park if needed.

As for going home, that's one point where you got it slightly wrong. At least in the evening each park had its own dedicated bus back to the hotels, they didn't do double-duty like on the way to the parks. But this is where you *really* want to make note of the bus schedules. The bus departures from the parks are scheduled very specifically, like "25 and 55 past the hour".
And they keep to those departure times, which we learned our first night. We were walking out to the bus location at the TTC just before 11pm, thinking we were 4 minutes early, only to see the bus driving away in the distance. At first we were angry because we thought the buses were hour-and-half-hour like the morning and we figured the bus just left early. Later we found that its departure time was 55-after-the-hour.

And that brings me to one final tip in this huge post... Learn which Hotel Plaza Blvd hotel is *across* the street from your hotel (Best Western in our case at the B). If you miss your route's bus, the one for the other route should be along in 10-15 minutes. Then just take it until you get to the hotel across the street and walk over to your hotel. No need to wait until your own bus arrives.

-Rob
From Hilton Disney springs the bus was easy going to parks. Then when we left we usually took Disney busses to a Disney resort property then caught the bus from there to Disney springs

BrerJon

This is a very sensible strategy. They've established that people will pay ridiculously over inflated costs for Disney rooms, and EMH plays a minor role in that decision, but the prices are way too high for thousands of families who traditionally would have stayed in Kissimmee or I-Drive instead.

By offering the EMH carrot, then just like the Magical Express takes them direct from the airport, you're steering guests who can't afford Disney hotels to still be based in that part of town instead of further north. That means more time in Disney parks, and most crucially more time in Disney Springs.

Disney has spent so much money on Disney Springs, it can be a real cash cow if there's a heavy stream of customers, but if stores shutter it costs them big, so there's more need than ever before to ensure the nearby hotels are full. It's a win win for the hotels, and for Disney, and an aggressive attempt to shift the centre of gravity from I-Drive to LBV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom