News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

ChrisM

A few random thoughts from my visit last Friday (nothing particularly groundbreaking):

- Edifice is very stark/kinda plain during the day. Extremely impressive at night.
- A shame that it's sort of hidden from so many angles given its location. Clearly shoehorned in.
- Loved the pre-show screen/window overview over the load area reveal. I knew it was coming and it was still a winner.
- Load area look is awesome.
- Wasn't expecting the launch to be so fast. Longer, but felt almost Velocicoaster fast.
- Seating position was a bit more uncomfortable than I expected - almost felt like a flying coaster in trying to crane your head up.
- Yeah, it's short - but it didn't feel outrageously short to me. I was satisified.
- Path underneath to Storybook Circus is great.
- Overall a really nice addition to the Magic Kingdom. Too bad Tomorrowland is still mostly empty.

On a personal note, I wore my Josh Humphrey memorial "Ten Dragons" shirt and a fellow guest noticed it as we exited the pre-show room and commented on how much he missed him. Was a very nice acknowledgement.

TomboyJanet

I only saw it testing last year but it looks amazing at night. Got to drive by on the Speedway. I can't wait to ride it next time, It seems like it's a winner for me. No rides needed to be sacrificed yet we gain something really cool and not bare bones. I always felt the original in Shanghai however looked more like an Epcot pavilion, but I'm glad that it's here instead of Epcot. MK has got a pretty nice coaster lineup now. Now they just need a loop coaster ;) like Indy from Paris.

I'm glad also that it's not a space mountain clone.

ToTBellHop

I only saw it testing last year but it looks amazing at night. Got to drive by on the Speedway. I can't wait to ride it next time, It seems like it's a winner for me. No rides needed to be sacrificed yet we gain something really cool and not bare bones. I always felt the original in Shanghai however looked more like an Epcot pavilion, but I'm glad that it's here instead of Epcot. MK has got a pretty nice coaster lineup now. Now they just need a loop coaster ;) like Indy from Paris.

I'm glad also that it's not a space mountain clone.
If they bring Indiana Jones and the Herniated Disk of Herodiana, I hope they add a chiropractor at the Grand Floridian spa at the same time rather than begrudgingly adding it 3 years later.

Already need a neck adjustment after TRON.

TomboyJanet

If they bring Indy, I hope they add a chiropractor at the Grand Floridian spa at the same time rather than begrudgingly adding it 3 years later.
OK OK it's rough lol but Like a BETTER version of it Like maybe ask Intamin to you know, make an INTAMIN ride instead of trying to make a Vekoma ride... I don't think Vekoma is really a good look for Intamin

DavidDL

After taking in some comparison aerial shots between Shanghai and Florida's, I can now see why the sightlines might be an issue for some folks around the exit point of the attraction/Storybook circus approach. Shanghai's has an extra show building constructed that houses their sponsor's exhibit space.

tron-lightcycle-run-aerial-06202022-1-2000x1125.jpg
FoV9OZ2agAEa91i.jpg

I still think Storybook Circus' view suffers the most but that both sightline issues could probably be fixed with some strategically planted trees. I'll wait to experience it for myself in person, though, before fully judging or saying it's an issue for me, in-person.

That said, for better or worse, the show building is currently "working as intended". While checking wait times yesterday I noticed that Tron's show building isn't hidden from the park's design the way Mansion's and Pirate's are. With it's own art in the app, it's clear Disney knew it would be on full display for Guests and are considering it "part of the façade". At least, for now.

tron-lightcycle-run-digital-map-2-2000x1221.jpg

Hopefully some kind of sightline fix will come to the Storybook Circus/Barnstormer view featured earlier in this thread as I think it overly dominates that skyline in the same way Guardians' does at EPCOT. Again, all you'd probably need is some strategically placed foliage.

Also, @egg ; Should now be complaining about nearly all attractions at all Disney parks from a visual standpoint? Check the view of the Haunted Mansion and "it's a small world" from the air.

magic-kingdom-76-big.jpg

I'm not saying there isn't merit in addressing sightline issues where they are particularly egregious on the ground. But taking it to a point where we are starting to over analyze the sightlines of the park(s) from the top of a hotel, planes or even space seems a bit extreme. It can come off like one is actively seeking things to criticize, and therefore to be taken about as seriously as those from the other side who think Disney can do no wrong. That is to say, not very seriously.

James Alucobond

I'm not saying there isn't merit in addressing sightline issues where they are particularly egregious on the ground. But taking it to a point where we are starting to over analyze the sightlines of the park(s) from the top of a hotel, planes or even space seems a bit extreme. It can come off like one is actively seeking things to criticize, and therefore to be taken about as seriously as those from the other side who think Disney can do no wrong. That is to say, not very seriously.
I would be more forgiving if it were only highly visible from the upper floors of the DVC tower, but TRON’s show building is an eyesore on every level of both the A-frame and the tower. I had rooms on both the lowest and second-highest floors of the A-frame with guest rooms during my last visit, and the view was unflattering regardless. I will say that the side facing the Contemporary is at least “finished”, whereas the side facing Storybook Circus is just warehouse siding with exposed downspouts, but even the finishing is beyond puzzling. Why do the weird vertical striping that calls more attention to the building? Why paint the back half such a dark blue? Why not try to emulate the finish of the companion Chevrolet building in Shanghai if you knew it would be so visible?

Incomudro

After taking in some comparison aerial shots between Shanghai and Florida's, I can now see why the sightlines might be an issue for some folks around the exit point of the attraction/Storybook circus approach. Shanghai's has an extra show building constructed that houses their sponsor's exhibit space.

View attachment 707426 View attachment 707427

I still think Storybook Circus' view suffers the most but that both sightline issues could probably be fixed with some strategically planted trees. I'll wait to experience it for myself in person, though, before fully judging or saying it's an issue for me, in-person.

That said, for better or worse, the show building is currently "working as intended". While checking wait times yesterday I noticed that Tron's show building isn't hidden from the park's design the way Mansion's and Pirate's are. With it's own art in the app, it's clear Disney knew it would be on full display for Guests and are considering it "part of the façade". At least, for now.

View attachment 707439

Hopefully some kind of sightline fix will come to the Storybook Circus/Barnstormer view featured earlier in this thread as I think it overly dominates that skyline in the same way Guardians' does at EPCOT. Again, all you'd probably need is some strategically placed foliage.

Also, @egg ; Should now be complaining about nearly all attractions at all Disney parks from a visual standpoint? Check the view of the Haunted Mansion and "it's a small world" from the air.

View attachment 707441

"Actively seeking things to criticize."
Oh, that'd never happen here!

DavidDL

I would be more forgiving if it were only highly visible from the upper floors of the DVC tower, but TRON’s show building is an eyesore on every level of both the A-frame and the tower. I had rooms on both the lowest and second-highest floors of the A-frame with guest rooms during my last visit, and the view was unflattering regardless. I will say that the side facing the Contemporary is at least “finished”, whereas the side facing Storybook Circus is just warehouse siding with exposed downspouts, but even the finishing is beyond puzzling. Why do the weird vertical striping that calls more attention to the building? Why paint the back half such a dark blue? Why not try to emulate the finish of the companion Chevrolet building in Shanghai if you knew it would be so visible?

Regarding your views from the resort, I'm sorry the show building was enough to disrupt your stay at the lower levels. Everyone's tolerance for something like that is going to be different so I can't say you're wrong to feel that way. I've just got a different mindset while staying on property. To me, the concept of seeing a show building for an attraction while outside of an actual park or en route to it doesn't seem much different than having views of the road, shuttle busses, parking lots, or other things you're "not supposed to see" once on-stage. It sounds again like something that at the lower levels could be addressed with some minor sightline tweaks and something that's simply unavoidable once you reach a certain height (planes, skyways, upper hotel floors, etc.).

To your question about why part of the building is painted with vertical striping and the other is painted blue; going off the design of the attraction on the park map, I believe it's because these points of the show building are currently meant to be seen by Guests and interpreted as part of the attraction's façade at MK. Again, for better or worse. This is not the case for the park map or show building at Shanghai (which is painted fully blue) because their show building is better hidden by the sponsor exhibit and lack of a connecting Storybook Circus path.

shangahi.png
tron-lightcycle-run-digital-map-2-2000x1221.jpg

-and while I agree the sponsor exhibit space could have totally been emulated towards the attraction's exit, there is nothing to emulate on the side that faces Storybook Circus because there was nothing there to begin with for the original. Although, I also agree that Disney should do something about the sightlines in this area. Maybe, if and when they do, you'll see a redesign on the park map that quietly erases the show building.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Regarding your views from the resort, I'm sorry the show building was enough to disrupt your stay at the lower levels. Everyone's tolerance for something like that is going to be different so I can't say you're wrong to feel that way. I've just got a different mindset while staying on property. To me, the concept of seeing a show building for an attraction while outside of an actual park or en route to it doesn't seem much different than having views of the road, shuttle busses, parking lots, or other things you're "not supposed to see" once on-stage. It sounds again like something that at the lower levels could be addressed with some minor sightline tweaks and something that's simply unavoidable once you reach a certain height (planes, skyways, upper hotel floors, etc.).
This is not about my personal tolerance. Sure, yours might be higher than mine and I might be getting comparatively picky, but the fact remains that there wasn't a need for such "tolerance" for the first 40+ years of the parks' existence because they treated every guest area as if it were on stage. Yes, there were concessions here and there, and you can find some longstanding ugly views even from within the parks, but TRON and Cosmic Rewind represent lack of care on a scale never previously seen.
-and while I agree the sponsor exhibit space could have totally been emulated towards the attraction's exit, there is nothing to emulate on the side that faces Storybook Circus because there was nothing there to begin with for the original. Although, I also agree that Disney should do something about the sightlines in this area. Maybe, if and when they do, you'll see a redesign on the park map that quietly erases the show building.
I simply meant that they could have faced the building with similar paneling as it's designed to continue the free-form, curvilinear look of the canopy. The current paneling is blocky and really has nothing to do with the rest of the structure.

DavidDL

This is not about my personal tolerance. Sure, yours might be higher than mine and I might be getting comparatively picky, but the fact remains that there wasn't a need for such "tolerance" for the first 40+ years of the parks' existence because they treated every guest area as if it were on stage. Yes, there were concessions here and there, and you can find some longstanding ugly views even from within the parks, but TRON and Cosmic Rewind represent lack of care on a scale never previously seen.

I simply meant that they could have faced the building with similar paneling as it's designed to continue the free-form, curvilinear look of the canopy. The current paneling is blocky and really has nothing to do with the rest of the structure.

I mean, it technically is since we're discussing art. Some folks will care about being able to see an attraction's show building from their hotel room or outside the park. Others won't. Which makes the whole supposed issue a matter of personal opinion or up to the discretion of the Guest staying there. Most will see, not all will care. -and on a lack of care never previously seen? For Guardians, I'd likely agree with you since it's visible from pretty much everywhere inside the park. In TRON's case, I agree the Storybook Circus approach needs some work but it seems fixable if they ever care enough to address it. As far as I can tell, it remains the only true area in the park where the show building negatively impacts the Guest's view but I suppose I will know for myself soon.

That said, is being able to see TRON's show building from outside the park or a hotel room really that much different than seeing the Flight of Passage show building as you pull into Animal Kingdom? Or being able to see Rock 'n' Roller Coaster's on approach to Hollywood Studios? Or as bad as the Mickey and Friends parking structure providing views of backstage Galaxy's Edge, Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion out in Disneyland? Or as bad as turning the castle into a birthday cake? I don't think it is so I try and afford it the same leeway I'd afford these other experiences.

Hopefully with Chapek out of the picture, they will address some of the Storybook Circus sightlines. Whether it's a cheap, simple fix like more trees or a complicated extension of the upload conduit, it would be nice to see this area addressed. I found some before/after art on Twitter from a user who had a similar idea as you:

FoaiWtPX0AI9Jgf.jpg
FoaiWtPX0AAJ4RI.jpg

As of right now, I think this is the only TRON sightline in need of true addressing. When I go for myself, I'll share whether or not their decision making was enough to ruin the experience or feeling of the park for me. Maybe I will end up feeling similar to you. But as of right now, I can only speculate.

James Alucobond

I mean, it technically is since we're discussing art. Some folks will care about being able to see an attraction's show building from their hotel room or outside the park. Others won't. Which makes the whole supposed issue a matter of personal opinion or up to the discretion of the Guest staying there. Most will see, not all will care. -and on a lack of care never previously seen? For Guardians, I'd likely agree with you since it's visible from pretty much everywhere inside the park. In TRON's case, I agree the Storybook Circus approach needs some work but it seems fixable if they ever care enough to address it. As far as I can tell, it remains the only true area in the park where the show building negatively impacts the Guest's view but I suppose I will know for myself soon.
Again, it does not matter what percentage of guests actively care or don't care, nor is this remotely similar to a difference of opinion on art. The point is that Disney used to care far beyond how much the average guest might, which was a big part of what differentiated them from the competition whether or not guests were able to put their finger on precisely why. The less they care about details to the same degree that they once did, the more they erode their competitive edge and the beauty and value of their on-site resorts. They shouldn't be seeking the nadir of how much they can get away with that doesn't upset guests too much; they should be continuing to build things to the high standard they set for themselves.
That said, is being able to see TRON's show building from outside the park or a hotel room really that much different than seeing the Flight of Passage show building as you pull into Animal Kingdom? Or being able to see Rock 'n' Roller Coaster's on approach to Hollywood Studios? Or as bad as the Mickey and Friends parking structure providing views of backstage Galaxy's Edge, Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion out in Disneyland? Or as bad as turning the castle into a birthday cake? I don't think it is so I try and afford it the same leeway I'd afford these other experiences.
I would argue that most of these are recent blunders too! Compare how the backstage theming of Expedition Everest was handled to Flight of Passage. But these examples are, as you point out, at least parking lot only, generally out of view of hotels. The Magic Kingdom more than any other resort on property really needs to properly maintain lagoon-facing views since they tack a massive premium onto lagoon-facing rooms. I don't think any go for under $1,000 a night without sales.

Incomudro

Again, it does not matter what percentage of guests actively care or don't care, nor is this remotely similar to a difference of opinion on art. The point is that Disney used to care far beyond how much the average guest might, which was a big part of what differentiated them from the competition whether or not guests were able to put their finger on precisely why. The less they care about details to the same degree that they once did, the more they erode their competitive edge and the beauty and value of their on-site resorts. They shouldn't be seeking the nadir of how much they can get away with that doesn't upset guests too much; they should be continuing to build things to the high standard they set for themselves.

I would argue that most of these are recent blunders too! Compare how the backstage theming of Expedition Everest was handled to Flight of Passage. But these examples are, as you point out, at least parking lot only, generally out of view of hotels. The Magic Kingdom more than any other resort on property really needs to properly maintain lagoon-facing views since they tack a massive premium onto lagoon-facing rooms. I don't think any go for under $1,000 a night without sales.
I don't remember a time where Disney covered sightlines from all elevated perspectives.
Matter of fact, doing so is impossible.
You remember the Skyway of course?
I do agree that they have gotten more careless with these things in recent years, particularly with tacked on attractions like Guardians and Tron.
Part of that is due to of course to erecting large structures in locations that were not designed for them from the get go.

SilentWindODoom

Much of this has been litigated over 800+ pages. I wish you brought pictures since low angles have been scarce to find and I'd be interested to see.

I'm just curious as you mention the back being finished and the front being unfinished. It seemed the front was done in a decorative cladding to be show and the back is just plain blue. Is there a feature back there I haven't seen?

No Name

View attachment 707426 View attachment 707427

View attachment 707439

View attachment 707441

I’ve literally never criticized a view from the air.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom