PHOTOS - New bag check areas greatly enhance Magic Kingdom arrival experience

Kman101

Some people will just have a negative view towards this. I saw it at the airport. They act as if they're being profiled like they're a terrorist. They have an attitude going into it. It's a very minor annoyance. Be it theater or not.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Some people will just have a negative view towards this. I saw it at the airport. They act as if they're being profiled like they're a terrorist. They have an attitude going into it. It's a very minor annoyance. Be it theater or not.
It's not profiling if they check everyone.

Kman101

It's not profiling if they check everyone.

Exactly, but they act as if they're personally being targeted. One guy in front of me at the airport was irate when all the TSA guy was trying to do was tell him to empty out all of his pockets and put them in the container on the belt. He was incredibly rude towards the guy, who he couldn't seem to understand. I bet that's the attitude a lot have going through any type of security.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Exactly, but they act as if they're personally being targeted. One guy in front of me at the airport was irate when all the TSA guy was trying to do was tell him to empty out all of his pockets and put them in the container on the belt. He was incredibly rude towards the guy, who he couldn't seem to understand. I bet that's the attitude a lot have going through any type of security.
Yup, definite idiot there. Those kind they should just strip search all of them that have that kind of attitude. Maybe even a nice body cavity search as well.

Kman101

Yup, definite idiot there. Those kind they should just strip search all of them that have that kind of attitude. Maybe even a nice body cavity search as well.

I just don't understand how people can't be prepared wherever they go as well. Know what you have to do when going through a security line. Know where you are traveling (research, like so many confused ones that visit Disney). I saw so many confused people going through security ... it's really not that hard.

anchorman314

Warning: what follows is just my personal experience. Not what I observed with anyone else in my party (because I didn't pay attention). Not what other guests experienced. :)

I just got back from a week in WDW. Bag checks varied between examining every item in every zipper to digging through the main compartment only. The majority of the time was somewhere in the middle -- digging into the main compartment with quick peeks into the small zippers. The one constant was my small camera bag. Every check involved me removing the camera, the checker looking inside, and saying "thank you". The metal detectors were more iffy. Most of the time, it was very unclear whom they were sending through.

Next Big Thing

If it takes a TSA-like inspection, wanding, pat-down, walk-thru and shirt-lift to be able to enjoy the Magic Kingdom any more, maybe I'll go visit the Grand Canyon this year... I also hear the Boeing Museum of Flight is pretty nice, and it doesn't cost $115 a day to get scrutinized like a criminal on parole.
Amazing how someone can talk as if they've experienced it when you really have no idea.

I've been many times since the change and it takes all of 15 seconds to walk through. Or just walk past the metal detectors... they won't even stop you much of the time.

Kman101

Why are we all surprised it's varied or "theater"? We all know it is.

I bypassed the metal detectors at Animal Kingdom in March. But at Epcot they make everyone with no bag go through one.

They need to be consistent in what they do, that's one problem. It varies everywhere.

drizgirl

Why are we all surprised it's varied or "theater"? We all know it is.

I bypassed the metal detectors at Animal Kingdom in March. But at Epcot they make everyone with no bag go through one.

They need to be consistent in what they do, that's one problem. It varies everywhere.

Just surprised at how blatant the theater is.

But I guess maybe the lawyers are satisfied this will cover them in the event something happens.

Kman101

Just surprised at how blatant the theater is.

But I guess maybe the lawyers are satisfied this will cover them in the event something happens.

I'm not LOL but I totally think you're right in the last sentence ...

But it also comes down to consistency at each location. Have all "security" do the same thing. Have everyone go through a scanner. Check everything thoroughly. I also think security needs to understand you can't go through someone's money, etc. Training seems terrible IMO. But that's not just security it seems.

If they really wanted to put on a show they should have brought on x-ray scanners for the bags but that costs $.

drizgirl

I'm not LOL but I totally think you're right in the last sentence ...

But it also comes down to consistency at each location. Have all "security" do the same thing. Have everyone go through a scanner. Check everything thoroughly. I also think security needs to understand you can't go through someone's money, etc. Training seems terrible IMO. But that's not just security it seems.

If they really wanted to put on a show they should have brought on x-ray scanners for the bags but that costs $.

I absolutely agree that consistency at each location is the key. Without that, it's just a joke.

I get that they can't make it foolproof. I don't even expect x-ray machines. But I absolutely expect consistency and follow through. If one person bypasses the metal detectors by choice, it's all just a big fail.

Kman101

I absolutely agree that consistency at each location is the key. Without that, it's just a joke.

I get that they can't make it foolproof. I don't even expect x-ray machines. But I absolutely expect consistency and follow through. If one person bypasses the metal detectors by choice, it's all just a big fail.

Agreed. And I was very easily able to bypass the AK one (though I saw on Twitter that they have a Passholder only security line now? Is that coming to all the parks? Was it just because of the Pandora previews @wdwmagic ). I don't think I could have at Epcot. I didn't experience the new security at MK because I parked at Epcot last week and monorailed to the TT&C center so I can't say for that one. I guess I might this coming week. And to be honest I don't remember DHS and their procedure LOL.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Agreed. And I was very easily able to bypass the AK one (though I saw on Twitter that they have a Passholder only security line now? Is that coming to all the parks? Was it just because of the Pandora previews @wdwmagic ). I don't think I could have at Epcot. I didn't experience the new security at MK because I parked at Epcot last week and monorailed to the TT&C center so I can't say for that one. I guess I might this coming week. And to be honest I don't remember DHS and their procedure LOL.
Yep I think with all the APers coming in to DAK it made sense to do that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Amazing how someone can talk as if they've experienced it when you really have no idea.
I've never been shot, either, yet I'm pretty sure I can say without fear of contradiction that it really hurts.

I've been many times since the change and it takes all of 15 seconds to walk through. Or just walk past the metal detectors... they won't even stop you much of the time.
And that is another person's experience(s) I can use in evaluating whether or not I'll be going. But it does cast a shadow of doubt on the thoroughness of Disney security...

Next Big Thing

I've never been shot, either, yet I'm pretty sure I can say without fear of contradiction that it really hurts.

And that is another person's experience(s) I can use in evaluating whether or not I'll be going. But it does cast a shadow of doubt on the thoroughness of Disney security...
I'm not trying to say it isn't theater or that there aren't holes even in the theater of it, but I'm saying that it really isn't that big of a deal. It takes a few seconds of your time and you're in.

I definitely agree if they are going to go this far with security, at least be consistent with it. The X-ray bag machines Universal uses would really streamline the process and quicken it too as you wouldn't have to wait for someone to look through your crap... just send it on through.

Kman101

I keep seeing pictures from Disneyland's security setup. Why do they only keep a few lines open? Open more of them. I can see the complaints about waiting in THAT line but I think they all move very fast at WDW ... some just have an attitude towards security in general and are bothered by it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom