Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

junglecruise93

Martin - any idea if we'll get Showcase-wide speaker replacements with the new show?

I sure hope so - we were there just before H-ween and figured early that the speaker pole in our first chosen spot (Norway side of Mexico) was not working. We moved over to the other side of Mexico and of course the pole we stood next to there was not working either - bad show.

TTA94

The opportunity will be there for future full seasonal versions of the new show. Something like WoCs Winter Dreams :) Themed to holidays around the world, with IP. Really the addition of IP will open up a lot of opportunities. Which is what they are probably going for.

Might need to change the name Epcot to Epcot Adventure or Disney’s Epcot lol

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I too am giving this show the benefit of the doubt. Admittedly, having a slightly greater understanding of the show than most has helped that, and I do expect there to be a bigger tie to global themes than many are expecting. No, this is not a pure exploration of global themes, but it’s no Fantasmic either.

There is A LOT more going on than that diagram depicts.
Can you please elaborate a bit further so I can get down off the ledge?

mikejs78

Premium Member
I too am giving this show the benefit of the doubt. Admittedly, having a slightly greater understanding of the show than most has helped that, and I do expect there to be a bigger tie to global themes than many are expecting. No, this is not a pure exploration of global themes, but it’s no Fantasmic either.

This is comforting. Not ideal but at least it sounds like it won't be HEA but on a Lagoon instead of a Castle, and will at least somewhat relate to Epcot's themes...

Still, I hope someday we get another show as grand in theme as RoE....

MouseBrayden

Not all things are heading in the IP direction in Epcot. There was a movie IP included in the Epcot Forever plans that was axed quite recently.

My main concern is these shows are indicative of the continuation of trying to simultaneously shove IP's and the Epcot theme into the same park where they don't belong together.

The biggest nightmare is getting to the end of this Epcot overhaul with the park still having a muddled theme. I think it's hard for Disney to pick a side when they can keep offering things that appeal to locals and hardcore Epcot fans while also offering things appealing to a general vacationer's idea of what a Disney Park should have, leaving neither group completely satisfied.

If we get to the end of this billion+ dollar Epcot overhaul and the park still doesn't have some sort of concise message/theme that echoes throughout the park, Disney will have failed and just shouldn't bother spending the money in the first place until they decide on that future, which I personally don't think they have.

jt04

Not all things are heading in the IP direction in Epcot. There was a movie IP included in the Epcot Forever plans that was axed quite recently.

My main concern is these shows are indicative of the continuation of trying to simultaneously shove IP's and the Epcot theme into the same park where they don't belong together.

The biggest nightmare is getting to the end of this Epcot overhaul with the park still having a muddled theme. I think it's hard for Disney to pick a side when they can keep offering things that appeal to locals and hardcore Epcot fans while also offering things appealing to a general vacationer's idea of what a Disney Park should have, leaving neither group completely satisfied.

If we get to the end of this billion+ dollar Epcot overhaul and the park still doesn't have some sort of concise message/theme that echoes throughout the park, Disney will have failed and just shouldn't bother spending the money in the first place until they decide on that future, which I personally don't think they have.

I know you are committed to this take but if you ever want to get on the inside to have some say on the future be careful about burning bridges.

If you have no intention of working for the mouse than ignore what I just said.

Your work is great and well reasoned. So much so that I am abdicating my armchair.

You are a much more qualified AI. You even have a better title. Good luck.

Kman101

I mean I guess I get Frozen, Rat, and any other world showcase IPs in the new show but Moana? Hercules? How exactly does that fit with Epcot? This definitely sounds like a new Fantasmic or something for a castle park.

Um, how dare you. Hawaii has a food booth at one of the festivals. Of course it fits! ;) Silly Rteetz!

Kman101

Sounds BORING!!!

Yep, everyone's two year old will fall asleep and decry it boring and creaky. NEXT! (that's all that matters right, appealing to everyone's toddler? Who's only 5 you know, once)

I'm still shocked Living with the Land isn't getting some IP tie in. Since reuse and recycle is their favorite thing, don't they have some Bugs figures collecting dust from a bugs land? Or are those for DAK? ;) lol They can greet us on the train that takes us past what looks like a prison (lol, I know they house the animals and I like seeing backstage, actually, but it was meant for a bit of humor so no one needs to take it the wrong way)

If they can tell a compelling story using songs and disney characters and tie into the culture of our world (something like that), I can give them some credit for at least trying. I still don't think a Disney Music/Movie showcase is what Epcot needs or should have but there's a way it could be done. For me, it will be very telling. I don't have high hopes because they haven't proven to me yet they know how to combine IP and still give a sense of old Epcot. I don't think it's necessarily a needed mandate for everything but it'd be nice to see them try, and not just lip-service trying.

Last edited:

Kman101

I've decided to spent the next year and a half fuming over this new show so that maybe by the time it actually opens, my rage will be gone enough I can fairly judge it ;)

lol. I'm so trying to talk myself into them doing this right (as "right" as you can with showcasing Disney music and characters on screens). I don't love IP is their go-to but there could be a clever way. I just don't think they're very clever anymore (though they think they are; look how many think it's just delightful Rocket in Mission Breakout refers to Disneyland but it's basically just telling us how ill-fitting it actually is).

Kman101

I think the biggest concern is that Epcot has never done IP-driven entertainment particularly well. “Surprise in the Skies” was good, but the character appearances and balloons were overlays to a fantastic aerial show.

Have you seen videos of Barbie or the Communicore Circus during the EPCOT Center years? Remember the horrific wand that loomed over SSE?

IPs often clash with the overall Epcot aesthetic because the park is either too realistic or too monumental to blend with cartoons. WDI should know this. Perhaps they’ll nail the execution. We’ll see.

That's the problem for me. They fail to execute it correctly. Not even just entertainment, but the attractions. I think they can blend the two (not that many purists will ever like it though) but they haven't done a very good job at it yet so I totally understand the skepticism. I think we all have it concerning Epcot. Their history speaks for itself. It's hard for many to accept Epcot with IP/characters because the implementation has been so poor -- which is just one of the reasons, there's many different reasons (I know that's not the only reason; Epcot wasn't originally meant to have characters, I absolutely know that of course). I disagree with those who don't think both can exist in the same park (now *should they* is a whole other "argument" lol and I agree with those who'd like a mostly IP free Epcot, but it's clear they have no desire to do that so I'm trying to find the best of both and maybe you just can't blend the two but I think you could). They just haven't done a very good job at it.

RSoxNo1

I have faith in the youth of America.

RSoxNo1

I know you are committed to this take but if you ever want to get on the inside to have some say on the future be careful about burning bridges.

If you have no intention of working for the mouse than ignore what I just said.

Your work is great and well reasoned. So much so that I am abdicating my armchair.

You are a much more qualified AI. You even have a better title. Good luck.
"If you ever want to compromise your ideas in favor of towing the corporate line, be careful."

hpyhnt 1000

Not gonna lie, was really nice to hear about the show and helps alleviate some "worst fears." At least this won't be a complete IP fest with the direct movie soundtracks blaring across the lagoon. Here's hoping those global theme tie-ins get stronger and not weaker as the show develops.

I wonder how much consideration (if any) the audience reaction to Epcot Forever might have in the direction of this show. I know it wouldn't amount to wholesale changes, but if EF gets rave reviews, coupled with the high praise RoE received over the years, I'd think there's at least a possibility that could influence the final cut of the show.

I do have high hopes that the tech for these new shows will be stellar. And hopefully a new lighting package is installed for each pavilion. At minimum, can we finally get full LED spot lights, more syncrolights, and outline Norway in rim lighting?

That's the problem for me. They fail to execute it correctly. Not even just entertainment, but the attractions. I think they can blend the two (not that many purists will ever like it though) but they haven't done a very good job at it yet so I totally understand the skepticism. I think we all have it concerning Epcot. Their history speaks for itself. It's hard for many to accept Epcot with IP/characters because the implementation has been so poor -- which is just one of the reasons, there's many different reasons (I know that's not the only reason; Epcot wasn't originally meant to have characters, I absolutely know that of course). I disagree with those who don't think both can exist in the same park (now *should they* is a whole other "argument" lol and I agree with those who'd like a mostly IP free Epcot, but it's clear they have no desire to do that so I'm trying to find the best of both and maybe you just can't blend the two but I think you could). They just haven't done a very good job at it.

Absolutely this is true. I'd say the closest they've come has been with the Three Caballeros in Gran Fiesta Tour. Circle of Life at The Land was fine too.

The worst for me was/is the loss of The Living Seas because it was such a missed opportunity. The current Finding Nemo nonsense is complete rubbish. There's so many ways to tastefully incorporate that IP into a pavilion about the ocean while keeping its original theme of exploration and technology. Instead, they slap on a coat of blue paint and shove in a mediocre Fantasyland dark ride and call it a day. Just complete idiocy all around.

Magic Feather

Not gonna lie, was really nice to hear about the show and helps alleviate some "worst fears." At least this won't be a complete IP fest with the direct movie soundtracks blaring across the lagoon. Here's hoping those global theme tie-ins get stronger and not weaker as the show develops.

I wonder how much consideration (if any) the audience reaction to Epcot Forever might have in the direction of this show. I know it wouldn't amount to wholesale changes, but if EF gets rave reviews, coupled with the high praise RoE received over the years, I'd think there's at least a possibility that could influence the final cut of the show.

I do have high hopes that the tech for these new shows will be stellar. And hopefully a new lighting package is installed for each pavilion. At minimum, can we finally get full LED spot lights, more syncrolights, and outline Norway in rim lighting?

Absolutely this is true. I'd say the closest they've come has been with the Three Caballeros in Gran Fiesta Tour. Circle of Life at The Land was fine too.

The worst for me was/is the loss of The Living Seas because it was such a missed opportunity. The current Finding Nemo nonsense is complete rubbish. There's so many ways to tastefully incorporate that IP into a pavilion about the ocean while keeping its original theme of exploration and technology. Instead, they slap on a coat of blue paint and shove in a mediocre Fantasyland dark ride and call it a day. Just complete idiocy all around.
Is it bad that my current standard for a decent implementation of Disney IP with Educational Values is “It’s Tough to Be a Bug”?

I fail to think of a better example with the potential exception of Wild About Safety.

Kman101

I have faith in the youth of America.

I do too. Now the current teens and early 20 somethings? Anywho ... but they've yet to make it clear they know what they want Epcot to be besides IP everywhere, which somehow makes it more timeless, family friendly, classic Disney ... so it's a lot of lip service. They seem to have zero idea what they want Future World/Epcot or even Tomorrowland to be. And if they know, I'd like them to express it instead of the vague concept art, the vague promises ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom