Hurricane Matthew

Goofyernmost

I can think of quite a few people that would disagree with that.

Jacksonville alone had nearly 100,000 without power and nearly half of that remained without power for several days. There are still small pockets of the city that do not have power.

St Augustine was for all intents and purposes, underwater, as were a number of towns in Georgia and South Carolina.

The current forecast for losses are just south of 9 billion.
Absolutely, it was really bad in a lot of places, however, a lot of places did not include WDW or the immediate vicinity so any righteous indignation concerning what was or was not done at WDW are totally irrelevant. Now if they were to have moved WDW to Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Georgia or S. Carolina then there was a ligatmate reason for handouts.

I live in NC. We had flooding, power losses, and a number of deaths, but those of us that weren't in flooded areas, power outages or deaths were not given free meals. We could fend for ourselves. Same that applies to WDW. If you are not inconvenience any more then one day that you couldn't get in a theme park, I hardly think that calls for emergency response. Let's get some perspective.

Bacon

The devasting floods in North Carolina prove otherwise you selfish and disgusting excuse for a human being. Textbook case of today's crisis of people not caring about natural disasters or the plight others go through unless it directly affects them. PATHETIC. Grow up little one
Have you read what I said I meant killed grow up little one

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The devasting floods in North Carolina prove otherwise you selfish and disgusting excuse for a human being. Textbook case of today's crisis of people not caring about natural disasters or the plight others go through unless it directly affects them. PATHETIC. Grow up little one

Those of us who volunteer for local emergency management spent the week prior to the storm training, preparing equipment and supplies and hoping the bloody thing would miss us. Not to mention praying for those it hit.

You get quite a different vibe on things like this when colleagues over in Fire/EMS are inventorying body bags. My role is communications and keeping communications links alive between Feds/State/Local agencies alive because the cell phones will be useless

JohnD

Original Poster
True, parts of I-95 around Lumberton, N.C. is still closed with water over the road, a week later. Lumberton is a easy 50 miles from the coast.

What I remember about that stretch is that it looks like an old portion of US-1, a divided highway which had cut medians for left turns then blocked off to turn it into a limited access highway with service roads to either side. It's a very closed in stretch.

JohnD

Original Poster
Reading various reports, it seems as if the issue was each resort handled it very differently. That's the problem. Sounds like Poly may have handled it well, but those staying at other resorts had far different experiences.

Then there's something that needs coordination throughout WDW. Resort by resort is unacceptable in an emergency situation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Then there's something that needs coordination throughout WDW. Resort by resort is unacceptable in an emergency situation.

I think it it speaks to the cutbacks in training so many of the insiders have noted over the past few years, The hiring standards these days are on the 'do they have a pulse' or CP'ers so many of the frontline staff are either poorly trained or they don't have the specific training needed which also needs to be recurrent. Because in an emergency NOBODY is going to drag out the binder tagged 'EMERGENCY PLAN'.

JohnD

Original Poster
I think it it speaks to the cutbacks in training so many of the insiders have noted over the past few years, The hiring standards these days are on the 'do they have a pulse' or CP'ers so many of the frontline staff are either poorly trained or they don't have the specific training needed which also needs to be recurrent. Because in an emergency NOBODY is going to drag out the binder tagged 'EMERGENCY PLAN'.

I don't know anything about the internals of the quality of staff. Again, speaking as an outside observer, I think it may point to top down initiation of the emergency plan. From what I've read, a lot of it was executed flawlessly. But as with any emergency situation, there are always areas identified for improvement. Better coordination on the boxes is one. As you mentioned, perhaps better training to be provided also.

SorcererMC

Reading various reports, it seems as if the issue was each resort handled it very differently. That's the problem. Sounds like Poly may have handled it well, but those staying at other resorts had far different experiences.
I think it may point to top down initiation of the emergency plan.

I concur on this - there was a January 2016 reorg where each hotel was given a general manager. I'm fairly sure (as you said) that Disney would have an overarching emergency plan, but that some of the implementation went awry as managers misinterpreted, misunderstood, or lacked the 'institutional knowledge' (ie how it was followed historically). Each hotel might have their own contingencies as well (eg Fort Wilderness).

Because in an emergency NOBODY is going to drag out the binder tagged 'EMERGENCY PLAN'.
Quote for emphasis. That's the problem - it shouldn't just be on the shelf. I would think that dragging out the binder would happen in May during Natl Hurricane Preparedness Week.(?) ie recurrent as you said.

21stamps

I still don't understand what Disney failed to do in this situation.
The majority of personal accounts/articles/fb posts that I have read were praising Disney for how they handled the guests on Thursday and Friday.

You're always going to have a few complainers who think they weren't coddled enough.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
From friends who live in FL 'The further North you go, The further South you get'.

Very, very true. And depending on the part of North Florida, you are either in FloGeorgia (my part) or FlorBama (Crestview west to Pensacola). Yes sir, South Florida may be urban, international and cosmopolitan, but up here in redneck territory, we like our alcohol to be Bud, not Merlot......

21stamps

Very, very true. And depending on the part of North Florida, you are either in FloGeorgia (my part) or FlorBama (Crestview west to Pensacola). Yes sir, South Florida may be urban, international and cosmopolitan, but up here in redneck territory, we like our alcohol to be Bud, not Merlot......
Here are a few of my favorite Florida maps... ;)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

21stamps

Hey, it's only the Legislature that's dumb!

You've made my day. Arguably the best maps of Florida ever. Wonder which town has all those cult-like football fans....

:hilarious:

Just saw your post on football...getting ready to head over to that thread for some smack talking. Just warning you.

Ha ha. Here's the article, I had shared it on fb a few years ago. It's an amusing (and frighteningly accurate) read. Lolhttp://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/the-ten-distinct-states-that-make-up-florida-6530661
@Tony the Tigger you may enjoy this.

P.s. My heart is still pounding from the game.. Take it easy on my poor soul ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom