Wheelchairs no longer complimentary at Disney's water parks

prfctlyximprct

I'll play along.

Approximately 2 million Americans are wheelchair or scooter riders. In a nation of 300 million people, that's 0.67% of the population. I think it would be safe to assume that a relatively smaller percentage of wheelchair users decide to visit water parks in a given year, but let's assume the population percentage holds. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon have combined annual attendance of approximately 4 million. Applying the 0.67% figure, we can estimate that the number of guests visiting a Disney water park in need of a wheelchair is about 27,000, but let's round up to 30,000 to be generous. Even if none of those people came with their own mobility devices, the annual revenue on 30,000 wheelchair rentals at $12 a pop is $360,000, or less than $1,000 per day. You're willfully ignorant if you think $45,000 per park per quarter is going to help anybody "Make their Numbers."

I wish I could love this.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I'll play along.

Approximately 2 million Americans are wheelchair or scooter riders. In a nation of 300 million people, that's 0.67% of the population. I think it would be safe to assume that a relatively smaller percentage of wheelchair users decide to visit water parks in a given year, but let's assume the population percentage holds. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon have combined annual attendance of approximately 4 million. Applying the 0.67% figure, we can estimate that the number of guests visiting a Disney water park in need of a wheelchair is about 27,000, but let's round up to 30,000 to be generous. Even if none of those people came with their own mobility devices, the annual revenue on 30,000 wheelchair rentals at $12 a pop is $360,000, or less than $1,000 per day. You're willfully ignorant if you think $45,000 per park per quarter is going to help anybody "Make their Numbers."
72084548756ed36e8d72e482e46c91f0.jpg

rob0519

Well, the $12.00 a day is inline with wheelchair rentals at the parks, but there is no deposit taken. The only other place I'm aware of that you can rent a wheelchair is Disney Springs. Last November I was told there are only 4 or 5 chairs at each of two locations. At that time it was $12.00 with a $50.00 deposit.

Our son is ambulatory to a point. He has difficulty walking medium to long distances, so yes, we rent a wheelchair in the parks. We and he are very fortunate that his condition has not deteriorated to the point of requiring him to use a wheelchair at all times, so no, we do not bring our own.

SorcererMC

This isn't about making money, it's about influencing guest behavior. The goal is not to profit off of people who need wheelchairs, it's about discouraging people who don't need wheelchairs from using them just because they're free.

If that is the goal, then they are 'taxing' those who do need them...for example, my grandmother didn't need a wheelchair in her day to day life (so didn't own one), but she did need one for 'special trips' like vacations. Airports and hotels often had them available, at no charge (in our experience, maybe different now).

That being said, I don't think that a rental fee of $12 is necessarily unreasonable. The rental fee is probably more about covering 'wear and tear', and I'm sure there are costs for ADA compliance. What is the cost of replacing one wheelchair? From your calculations of <$1,000/day, it seems they would make enough to cover those costs and then some, maybe not enough to dent the bottom line (or to profiteer), but that revenue still counts.

asianway

If that is the goal, then they are 'taxing' those who do need them...for example, my grandmother didn't need a wheelchair in her day to day life (so didn't own one), but she did need one for 'special trips' like vacations. Airports and hotels often had them available, at no charge (in our experience, maybe different now).

That being said, I don't think that a rental fee of $12 is necessarily unreasonable. The rental fee is probably more about covering 'wear and tear', and I'm sure there are costs for ADA compliance. What is the cost of replacing one wheelchair? From your calculations of <$1,000/day, it seems they would make enough to cover those costs and then some, maybe not enough to dent the bottom line (or to profiteer), but that revenue still counts.
I dont think its unreasonable for a main park, but at a water park, you are still paying full boat admission probably just to accompany the family and not being able to partake in many of the main draws.

DisneyFans4Life

IMO, if someone truly needs a wheelchair, meaning they cannot get around successfully without it, then they're better off not attending the waterpark and just hanging out by their resort pool. I don't know about you guys, but if I wasn't able to enjoy the park, I'd go somewhere else.

I pushed my buddy around MK in a wheelchair one time because he had broken his foot. Sure we got on rides quicker, but it was a pain (no pun intended) for him to hobble from the wheel chair to the ride car. I could only imagine the trouble he'd have trying to swim to the steps after coming down a slide.

asianway

IMO, if someone truly needs a wheelchair, meaning they cannot get around successfully without it, then they're better off not attending the waterpark and just hanging out by their resort pool. I don't know about you guys, but if I wasn't able to enjoy the park, I'd go somewhere else.

I pushed my buddy around MK in a wheelchair one time because he had broken his foot. Sure we got on rides quicker, but it was a pain (no pun intended) for him to hobble from the wheel chair to the ride car. I could only imagine the trouble he'd have trying to swim to the steps after coming down a slide.
I mean obviously. They should actually probably just roll over and die

JoeCamel

I'll play along.

Hey can I play too?

That $1000 will more than cover the cost of having a CM to rent those chairs. Even if half showed up to a water park with their own chair then $500 would cover it as well. Just another cupcake that gets paid for rather than given away. All the little things add up in this company, after all it is the mantra that the little things matter.

raymusiccity

Well, the $12.00 a day is inline with wheelchair rentals at the parks, but there is no deposit taken. The only other place I'm aware of that you can rent a wheelchair is Disney Springs. Last November I was told there are only 4 or 5 chairs at each of two locations. At that time it was $12.00 with a $50.00 deposit.

Our son is ambulatory to a point. He has difficulty walking medium to long distances, so yes, we rent a wheelchair in the parks. We and he are very fortunate that his condition has not deteriorated to the point of requiring him to use a wheelchair at all times, so no, we do not bring our own.
Agreed. I think that the deposit is more to assure that the valuable wheelchair gets returned, rather than abandoned in the parking lot.

jencor

My wife uses a wheel chair and yes we bring our own chair. She is capable of walking very short distances, usually with aid of having someone near to help if needed or has a cane (we have a hurrycane and she loves it). I will say the waterparks are not easy with a wheelchair and most things we are not able to do because it requires steps, walking and all. We still have 6 unexpiring fun days we can use and we have done Disney Quest, mini golf (really hard for her) and find the water parks the best value still for us. I cannot say I saw another wheel chair when we were there and there is zero advantages of having a wheel chair. There was one slide that had an elevator which we used, the tube ride that goes around the park she could do and we went into the wave pool, where she hung unto me. For you that say it is not worth it, I say for her it was. Would she like to do the other things, a big yes, but this is better then nothing, and we only stay a couple of hours as she tires out. So if you see someone in a wheelchair in a water park, know that we want to enjoy some of what you get to. I did want to add also we would rather use their chair cause one of our biggest fears is while not using the chair someone takes it. It happened in EPCOT and was never recovered.

rob0519

Shortsighted opinion if there ever was one. Just because a person is in a wheelchair and can't do the pools and attractions at the water park doesn't mean they don't have a reason to be there. What about the parent or grandparent in the chair listening to their child or grandchild telling them how awesome it was to go down the big slide by themselves for the very first time? Watching the enjoyment on their faces during lunch talking about how much fun they are having. You're opinion is obviously based on not yet having lived long enough to understand certain things.

DisneyFans4Life

Shortsighted opinion if there ever was one. Just because a person is in a wheelchair and can't do the pools and attractions at the water park doesn't mean they don't have a reason to be there. What about the parent or grandparent in the chair listening to their child or grandchild telling them how awesome it was to go down the big slide by themselves for the very first time? Watching the enjoyment on their faces during lunch talking about how much fun they are having. You're opinion is obviously based on not yet having lived long enough to understand certain things.
My opinion is based on pushing someone in a wheelchair around MK because he had a broken foot and then watching him use one of those little scooters that you rest your knee on after he got frustrated with the wheelchair. I've been to both water parks numerous times and they're not the easiest to get around if you're in a wheelchair or scooter. The sidewalks are narrow, crowded and there are plenty of stairs.

I'm not saying it's impossible, simply that it would be easier to sit by the pool at their own resort.

rob0519

My opinion is based on pushing someone in a wheelchair around MK because he had a broken foot and then watching him use one of those little scooters that you rest your knee on after he got frustrated with the wheelchair. I've been to both water parks numerous times and they're not the easiest to get around if you're in a wheelchair or scooter. The sidewalks are narrow, crowded and there are plenty of stairs.

I'm not saying it's impossible, simply that it would be easier to sit by the pool at their own resort.

I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion. Yes, it can be difficult for injured or permanently disabled individuals to navigate the parks in a wheelchair. You're a good friend for trying to help your buddy have a day in the MK.

It appears however, you did not read my reasoning for going to a waterpark or any of the parks in a wheelchair. It's all about being with family and sharing experiences even if you are not participating directly. When it comes to your kids and grandkids, "easier" is not always the right response.

DisneyFans4Life

I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion. Yes, it can be difficult for injured or permanently disabled individuals to navigate the parks in a wheelchair. You're a good friend for trying to help your buddy have a day in the MK.

It appears however, you did not read my reasoning for going to a waterpark or any of the parks in a wheelchair. It's all about being with family and sharing experiences even if you are not participating directly. When it comes to your kids and grandkids, "easier" is not always the right response.
You are absolutely right. I have a 2 and a half year old daughter and would be there to spend time with her regardless of my mobility.

SorcererMC

What about the parent or grandparent in the chair listening to their child or grandchild telling them how awesome it was to go down the big slide by themselves for the very first time? Watching the enjoyment on their faces during lunch talking about how much fun they are having.

In an earlier post I used my grandma as an example...and what I wanted to write, but didn't was 'Sorry, grandma! Looks like you stay back at the hotel in the A/C'. :p ;) (please don't take it the wrong way, my grandma had quite a sense of humor).

I think you both have valid points, I think that it's a family/individual decision. I'm not sure that $12 rental fee is a deal-breaker for most folks, but if it's only for a few hours it does seem like nickel and dime-ing to a limited extent (since they are now charging for something they didn't used to), IMO.

rob0519

In an earlier post I used my grandma as an example...and what I wanted to write, but didn't was 'Sorry, grandma! Looks like you stay back at the hotel in the A/C'. :p ;) (please don't take it the wrong way, my grandma had quite a sense of humor).

I think you both have valid points, I think that it's a family/individual decision. I'm not sure that $12 rental fee is a deal-breaker for most folks, but if it's only for a few hours it does seem like nickel and dime-ing to a limited extent (since they are now charging for something they didn't used to), IMO.

I have absolutely no problem with the $12.00 daily fee. We pay it at all the parks already. I just find it interesting that there will be a deposit required at the waterparks and Disney Springs, but not at the four main parks. I can understand Disney Springs in a way. It would be pretty easy to roll the wheelchair into the parking lot and off the property, but TL or BB? Not so much.

SorcererMC

I have absolutely no problem with the $12.00 daily fee. We pay it at all the parks already. I just find it interesting that there will be a deposit required at the waterparks and Disney Springs, but not at the four main parks. I can understand Disney Springs in a way. It would be pretty easy to roll the wheelchair into the parking lot and off the property, but TL or BB? Not so much.
Ok. I didn't see the part about the deposit being required for this. In considering the practical reasons for the charge - I'm wondering if it's so wheelchairs aren't getting left out exposed to the elements? so then they would do a refundable deposit to help make sure they are returned. I don't know where the rental area is relative to the park entrance/ exit.

Last edited:

CDavid

Wheelchairs aren't complimentary anywhere else on property, so why would they be at the water parks?

They actually charge for wheelchairs now at the resorts? We always had to sign for the thing, but there was never an actual bill presented for its use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom