Monorail System Express Beam closures this weekend (march 18, 19)

scpergj

Not sure how related it may be, but there were monorail issues earlier this week (at park open on Monday, and also early Wednesday). The two times we were able to ride the monorails, they were filthy, moldy, and smelled....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not sure how related it may be, but there were monorail issues earlier this week (at park open on Monday, and also early Wednesday). The two times we were able to ride the monorails, they were filthy, moldy, and smelled....

That's the normal conditions for the monorails these days it's been like that for 3-4 years now.

Adam N

I have a friend who works overnights on the monorails all the time. The problem is that their hours at night are significantly reduced to do any work. They have to wait until well after park closes, do any custodial and routine maintenance, test for the morning/day run, and then open well before park opens. Which leaves just a few hours depending how early or late MK opens.

gleepy

Hearing about the state of the monorails is infuriating. I haven't been to WDW in more than 5 years and we finally are going to be able to take our family, investing about $5,000 in the trip. I'm flabbergasted that Disney can't be bothered to keep up the maintenance and cleanliness of their (formerly) prestigious transportation system.

scpergj

That's the normal conditions for the monorails these days it's been like that for 3-4 years now.

Yeah, I know...but I can say that this was by far the worst we've ever seen them. I've been visiting WDW since 1972, and have had annual passes for several years - just not the last three. During our son's freshman year in high school, we let our passes expire so that we could concentrate on parental duties (we're band parents). Now that he has chosen and been accepted to his choice university (actually....UCF, engineering and honors colleges) we bought and plan to keep our passes up again. I'm quite saddened that the monorails are not only not any better than three years ago, they are in even worse shape.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, I know...but I can say that this was by far the worst we've ever seen them. I've been visiting WDW since 1972, and have had annual passes for several years - just not the last three. During our son's freshman year in high school, we let our passes expire so that we could concentrate on parental duties (we're band parents). Now that he has chosen and been accepted to his choice university (actually....UCF, engineering and honors colleges) we bought and plan to keep our passes up again. I'm quite saddened that the monorails are not only not any better than three years ago, they are in even worse shape.

Let's just say I've had AP's for LONG time and I chose to let them expire last year even BEFORE the price increase.

JoeCamel

Hearing about the state of the monorails is infuriating. I haven't been to WDW in more than 5 years and we finally are going to be able to take our family, investing spending about $5,000 in the trip. I'm flabbergasted that Disney can't be bothered to keep up the maintenance and cleanliness of their (formerly) prestigious transportation system.

FTFY

KikoKea

Just curious- what does automating the monorail mean? No driver? A money-saving move? If so, and it is for financial purposes, it doesn't seem like that would save much money. And, I'm not so sure it'll be safer, although I am no expert on safety or finances.

We've always enjoyed riding the monorail- it's our arrival day tradition as we make a swing through Epcot at sunset and visit each resort on the loop and stop for dinner. Sadly, the cars are looking awful and often it seems the AC/ventilation isn't working too well so it's warm and stinks. Last few trips we took the boat across to the MK to enjoy the breeze.

DManRightHere

Just curious- what does automating the monorail mean? No driver? A money-saving move? If so, and it is for financial purposes, it doesn't seem like that would save much money. And, I'm not so sure it'll be safer, although I am no expert on safety or finances.

We've always enjoyed riding the monorail- it's our arrival day tradition as we make a swing through Epcot at sunset and visit each resort on the loop and stop for dinner. Sadly, the cars are looking awful and often it seems the AC/ventilation isn't working too well so it's warm and stinks. Last few trips we took the boat across to the MK to enjoy the breeze.

I believe it is for efficiency, safety, and saving money on personnel.

Figment2005

The cast members required will not change. Drivers will still be in the cab, they just won't have to step out to open the doors. The trains still need to be operated manually at certain points, such as going back to shop. The platform will still be staffed the same amount of cast. It is primarily to speed up the throughput of the system as the trains will adjust automatically and practically eliminate the holding scenarios.

DManRightHere

The first two. It won't save money on personnel because they will still have a pilot on each train.

I was not aware there would still be pilots. Could the pay decrease as the pilots may not necessarily be as heavily trained (therefore saving money on new hire training as well). Will the system allow less CM's at the stations?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom