Monorail System Express Beam closures this weekend (march 18, 19)

JoFu

The Mark VIIs use the Mark III chassis and the Mark V bodies sans the noses.
After reading a few more things on the intarwebz, which are always factual and perfect, I believe you are correct and that the chassis has remained widely unchanged from the Mark III.

matt9112

It's statements like this that show your complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

would be a common question....i do commercial hvac and often times we do all night work so the customer is not uninterrupted during business hours. sure it costs twice as much...but service and commitment have no price tag.

in any case what if they....built new monorails that where not older than me and had all the onboard automation from day 1....just would need beam work.

peter11435

would be a common question....i do commercial hvac and often times we do all night work so the customer is not uninterrupted during business hours. sure it costs twice as much...but service and commitment have no price tag.

in any case what if they....built new monorails that where not older than me and had all the onboard automation from day 1....just would need beam work.
I wasn't referring to his question. That was valid. I was referring to his statement about last year.

lazyboy97o

Entirely new monorails means paying for a lot of new stuff that is new for the sake of being new. It is not necessary and does not fix the underlying structural [to the organization] problems.

backwoodsfarm

Entirely new monorails means paying for a lot of new stuff that is new for the sake of being new. It is not necessary and does not fix the underlying structural [to the organization] problems.
Structal? And organization? Just curious I like any info I can find about the monorail system interesting.

montyz81

After reading a few more things on the intarwebz, which are always factual and perfect, I believe you are correct and that the chassis has remained widely unchanged from the Mark III.
I did the same. I stand corrected. I really thought they were all new. I followed these from when Red Mark V came off the beam right up until Orange had it's first runs. So what happened to the 4th Mark V? They should have modified it to look like the current Mark VIIs and brought it to WDW for nostalgic purposes. I know they are smaller, but it would have been cool to see that train glide through the Contemporary or even around SSE!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wasn't referring to his question. That was valid. I was referring to his statement about last year.

Ah Orange Bird, I hope your blind loyalty to Disney Corporate is well rewarded, Yes in fairness a couple of monorails got some new carpet last year but during and after the so called maintenance interior panels were STILL moldy and falling off the monorails as documented on this board in multiple threads , the black streaks on the lower skirts are evidence of leaking seals. If they indeed DID receive any maintenance it was minimal at best and done by people who took no pride in their work.

A good technician takes PRIDE in their work and it shows because they realize every job is a reflection of them. But there are far too many of the slovenly technicians as well and you can tell the by the quality or more usually the lack of quality in their work as well but hey they work cheaper than the good ones...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

As an engineer when we do work on production systems it's usually during nights and holidays so that the customer is NOT impacted. But that of course requires a management who is willing to work alongside our teams during 'incovenient' times.

lazyboy97o

I did the same. I stand corrected. I really thought they were all new. I followed these from when Red Mark V came off the beam right up until Orange had it's first runs. So what happened to the 4th Mark V? They should have modified it to look like the current Mark VIIs and brought it to WDW for nostalgic purposes. I know they are smaller, but it would have been cool to see that train glide through the Contemporary or even around SSE!
The fourth Mark V was ripped apart for reverse engineering. It could not have been rebuilt for Walt Disney World as it would not fit on the beamway.

montyz81

The fourth Mark V was ripped apart for reverse engineering. It could not have been rebuilt for Walt Disney World as it would not fit on the beamway.
I know it couldn't. I was saying they could have modified it to fit in WDW. I can't believe they are that dissimilar making it an easier modification to fit on the WDW System. Bob Gurr designed both of them, so I am sure there are similarities. How hard is it to customize a tubular frame to make it bigger?

peter11435

Ah Orange Bird, I hope your blind loyalty to Disney Corporate is well rewarded, Yes in fairness a couple of monorails got some new carpet last year but during and after the so called maintenance interior panels were STILL moldy and falling off the monorails as documented on this board in multiple threads , the black streaks on the lower skirts are evidence of leaking seals. If they indeed DID receive any maintenance it was minimal at best and done by people who took no pride in their work.

A good technician takes PRIDE in their work and it shows because they realize every job is a reflection of them. But there are far too many of the slovenly technicians as well and you can tell the by the quality or more usually the lack of quality in their work as well but hey they work cheaper than the good ones...
First of all do not use pet names to refer to me. Second I do not have blind loyalty. I do however see both sides clearly rather than only the negative (and usually fictitious) side you see.

I will not defend the condition of the monorails. They look like crap both inside and out and it's completely unacceptable.

My issue is you yet again stating things as fact that you know nothing about. The monorails were NOT closed to save money. Necessary work WAS done during the downtime. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Obviously there was maintenance and cosmetic work that could have and should have been done during the downtime. And it's IS unacceptable that it was not done or at least started. But that doesn't mean nothing was done and it doesn't mean it was closed simply to save money.

evilzorac

I don't care to get involved in the spat but my question is why a company that shows huge profits would not pay the extra amount to do this at night so as not to upset their guest who are paying large amounts of money to enjoy Disney parks? As someone said above most companies wouldn't think of doing this on their busiest days (weekend & spring break) of the week. IMO it just smacks of the callous disregard management has to their guest.

lazyboy97o

I know it couldn't. I was saying they could have modified it to fit in WDW. I can't believe they are that dissimilar making it an easier modification to fit on the WDW System. Bob Gurr designed both of them, so I am sure there are similarities. How hard is it to customize a tubular frame to make it bigger?
The Walt Disney World beamway is 6" wider and 13.5" taller with a different profile than the Disneyland beamway. Your building an entirely new train, not modifying.

FigmentForver96

First of all do not use pet names to refer to me. Second I do not have blind loyalty. I do however see both sides clearly rather than only the negative (and usually fictitious) side you see.

I will not defend the condition of the monorails. They look like crap both inside and out and it's completely unacceptable.

My issue is you yet again stating things as fact that you know nothing about. The monorails were NOT closed to save money. Necessary work WAS done during the downtime. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Obviously there was maintenance and cosmetic work that could have and should have been done during the downtime. And it's IS unacceptable that it was not done or at least started. But that doesn't mean nothing was done and it doesn't mean it was closed simply to save money.
The ignore list makes things so much fun. I was like "who is be arguing with?" Did not take long to see who or why either

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Perhaps welding up cracked elements in the structural elements or other things that Disney would not care to admit to, We already know that Space Mountain is being held together with a prayer and 7018 welding rod in the hands of the welding fairy But if that's the case why were the OTHER elements not repaired other than Disney is too freaking cheap to properly maintain equipment because the labor in disassembling something is generally the expensive part so one replaces adjacent worn components while working on other things.

Not an insider but I do make my living by repairing systems which no one else is able to, As such I'm pretty good at determining the level of active maintenance just by looking at stuff. When you see long black trails down the sides of a machine you know there is a leak somewhere and by the thickness you know the severity and duration of the leak. When you see corrosion if it's bright orange or powdery white it's new if it's old and crusty well it's been there a long time.

Point is you don't NEED to be an insider to determine how well machinery is being maintained all you need is knowing what and where to look for things.

rael ramone

Perhaps welding up cracked elements in the structural elements or other things that Disney would not care to admit to, We already know that Space Mountain is being held together with a prayer and 7018 welding rod in the hands of the welding fairy But if that's the case why were the OTHER elements not repaired other than Disney is too freaking cheap to properly maintain equipment because the labor in disassembling something is generally the expensive part so one replaces adjacent worn components while working on other things.

Not an insider but I do make my living by repairing systems which no one else is able to, As such I'm pretty good at determining the level of active maintenance just by looking at stuff. When you see long black trails down the sides of a machine you know there is a leak somewhere and by the thickness you know the severity and duration of the leak. When you see corrosion if it's bright orange or powdery white it's new if it's old and crusty well it's been there a long time.

Point is you don't NEED to be an insider to determine how well machinery is being maintained all you need is knowing what and where to look for things.

As someone who works the graveyard shift for a living - I get paid a differential for working those hours. If my company decided to not pay the differential and have me work normal hours, then my work would inconvenience the daystaff and our customers - in many cases quite severely.

On my commute in I often times run into construction work. It costs more to do it at night, but the alternative is to shut down lanes when there's already gridlock on the roads in the daylight.

'Perhaps' it's something that can't be done at night (though in seeing overnight construction lighting I doubt it). But I think $DIS has weened us from giving them the benefit of the doubt in decisions like these...

peter11435

Listen I'm not disagreeing with you about the condition of the trains. I already said they are in horrible condition and look like crap. I agree that the system is not being maintained as it should be. Where I have a problem is when you say that they closed it just to save money and that they didn't do anything during the downtime. This is not true and yet another instance of you making up things and stating them as fact.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It looks like they are mapping out stopping at the Magic Kingdom station. Monorail Silver is going back and forth from the Contemporary with observers in the trailing cab, no one in the front. At MK when they stop a guy gets out with a laptop runs to the front then comes back to the rear to repeat.
We're waiting for a bus to the Beach Club for Cape May.

montyz81

Listen I'm not disagreeing with you about the condition of the trains. I already said they are in horrible condition and look like crap. I agree that the system is not being maintained as it should be. Where I have a problem is when you say that they closed it just to save money and that they didn't do anything during the downtime. This is not true and yet another instance of you making up things and stating them as fact.
I am just curious, not trying to cause a stir, how do you know what they did to the trains? Do you work in the Roundhouse?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom