ABC Christmas Day Parade - 'Disney Parks Unforgettable Christmas Celebration' taping schedule

Clamman73

I'm still thinking they had the taping of the parade in November this year to work around Grande latte's schedule. She was scheduled to be abroad early December, but supposedly she didn't go??? Let's see when the taping of the parade happens next year. Seal was sweating a lot in that November sun.

robonics95

Also, maybe I'm heartless, but I just don't care about most of these family stories they show us. With the exception of th military dad with the daughter who had leukemia, none of the stories this year were at all interesting to me. And how about that "surprise" proposal? Lame.

Sorry to read that you felt that our segment wasn't as enjoyable as the others. The military dad was definitely a heartwarming one and I can see why our life changing crisis moments were left out. Either way, we had a blast and enjoyed every moment of it. Merry Christmas!

Matt_Black

I hope it returns to a two coast event in the future.

I was more annoyed that it is the 60th anniversary and there was barely any Disneyland this year?!? What the heck!!

This. Board.

*Last year*
"Remember when this used to be the Walt Disney World parade?!? They switched it to Disney Parks because blah blah Iger's greedy blah blah homogenization blah blah something something! They should go back to focusing on Walt Disney World!"
*This year*
"Where was Disneyland?!? There was too much focus on Walt Disney World! WAAAH!"

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Sorry to read that you felt that our segment wasn't as enjoyable as the others. The military dad was definitely a heartwarming one and I can see why our life changing crisis moments were left out. Either way, we had a blast and enjoyed every moment of it. Merry Christmas!
In regards to what the OP said, The family stories are just far more commercial-ish and less organic. Feels more like watching an advertisement than anything else after we get the ten minute back story. They need more realistic shots of the family in the park, not just the typical camera shot of them on BTMRR and the family banging on the bongos in AK. Which makes me wonder how much time the family had to take off their vacation to film and get the shot just right. They obviously have high production value so its not like they just candidly filmed the family walking down MSUSA or riding BTMRR. It makes me loose all the feeling I had for said family when you realize your just watching a commercial. And yes, I understand the endgame is to build a desire in people to want visit, but it comes off as a cheap attempt to use a families struggles in an effort to make me visit.

Matt_Black

In regards to what the OP said, The family stories are just far more commercial-ish and less organic. Feels more like watching an advertisement than anything else after we get the ten minute back story. They need more realistic shots of the family in the park, not just the typical camera shot of them on BTMRR and the family banging on the bongos in AK. Which makes me wonder how much time the family had to take off their vacation to film and get the shot just right. They obviously have high production value so its not like they just candidly filmed the family walking down MSUSA or riding BTMRR. It makes me loose all the feeling I had for said family when you realize your just watching a commercial. And yes, I understand the endgame is to build a desire in people to want visit, but it comes off as a cheap attempt to use a families struggles in an effort to make me visit.

You could actually see the Rogers family (was that their name?) in the front of the crowd for the musical performances at various points throughout the broadcast.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
It was definitely better than last year's debacle, which admittedly isn't saying very much.

Still, when will they learn this event needs a charismatic host? I love Robin Roberts, but this is not the event for her and watching her feign enthusiasm is cringeworthy.

Bring back Neil Patrick Harris, please. That opening number remains the gold standard for these things.

Tigger1988

This. Board.

*Last year*
"Remember when this used to be the Walt Disney World parade?!? They switched it to Disney Parks because blah blah Iger's greedy blah blah homogenization blah blah something something! They should go back to focusing on Walt Disney World!"
*This year*
So true. Making it "Disney Parks" parade has been a huge complaint on this board the last few years.

robonics95

Which makes me wonder how much time the family had to take off their vacation to film and get the shot just right....And yes, I understand the endgame is to build a desire in people to want visit, but it comes off as a cheap attempt to use a families struggles in an effort to make me visit.

Great points. Please keep in mind these "vacations" are gifts that are paid for by The Walt Disney Company. I don't want to speak for every family but when we were treated to such an incredible experience, we were more than willing to give our time and effort to do what was needed to recapture those magical Disney memories. Traditions that the families love to do.

In regards to the struggles, I have to give Disney and the production team major kudos here, as well. As I noted in my previous response, our original backstory included a lot more family "struggles", not because it was staged but simply because our family, like all families, has been through a lot together. But Disney and the production team wanted to focus on more positive family memories, especially with the leukemia story. They didn't want to focus on said "struggles" in order to drive attendance to the Destinations nor emphasize that magical memories are only created after a family goes through a difficult time.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But Disney and the production team wanted to focus on more positive family memories,....
In all due respect, if Disney wanted to focus on positive family memories they wouldn't need to have specific families stories involved at all. Clips showing families having fun together at their parks would do the trick. Disney plays on emotions. They set up the emotional story and use it as a tie in to what they are promoting. That is why I have a difficult time with things like "surprise proposals" in a show that is highly produced and edited.

robonics95

In all due respect, if Disney wanted to focus on positive family memories they wouldn't need to have specific families stories involved at all. Clips showing families having fun together at their parks would do the trick. Disney plays on emotions. They set up the emotional story and use it as a tie in to what they are promoting. That is why I have a difficult time with things like "surprise proposals" in a show that is highly produced and edited.

Understood.

Disney Analyst

This. Board.

*Last year*
*This year*

I'd like to note that I have never complained about this parade before, and have always watched it and enjoyed it, despite the ups and downs... But this years was just boring for me. I watch it for all the parks, always loved it being about everything, not one park.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You could actually see the Rogers family (was that their name?) in the front of the crowd for the musical performances at various points throughout the broadcast.
I wasn't saying that the family wasn't there. That was quite obvious considering they were interviewed on MSUSA by Robin.

I was talking about how after 10 minutes of back story on the inability to conceive a child and the subsequent adoptions, they decide to take a trip to Disney and all we see is about 30 seconds of extremely commercialized shots such as banging on the bongos at AK and what not. Are we to believe that a camera crew was following them around and happened to catch them having a family moment of drum banging in Harambe Village? Or was it a staged event and carefully filmed with lighting and directors and all that jazz? I'm pretty sure it was the latter, which is fine, but just show me a commercial and spare me the tugging of heart strings or at least keep it brief. I'd honestly rather hear the family explain they're getting a free trip to Disney and then have us follow along. That would actually be fun to watch and I'd still be excited and happy for them sans the drama

mousehockey37

I wasn't saying that the family wasn't there. That was quite obvious considering they were interviewed on MSUSA by Robin.

I was talking about how after 10 minutes of back story on the inability to conceive a child and the subsequent adoptions, they decide to take a trip to Disney and all we see is about 30 seconds of extremely commercialized shots such as banging on the bongos at AK and what not. Are we to believe that a camera crew was following them around and happened to catch them having a family moment of drum banging in Harambe Village? Or was it a staged event and carefully filmed with lighting and directors and all that jazz? I'm pretty sure it was the latter, which is fine, but just show me a commercial and spare me the tugging of heart strings or at least keep it brief. I'd honestly rather hear the family explain they're getting a free trip to Disney and then have us follow along. That would actually be fun to watch and I'd still be excited and happy for them sans the drama

Not to dive any deeper into this, but some of the stories seemed to carry an aura of "we're AP holders too". At least one of the groups is always there every year or more... Seemed kinda fishy to me. As far as having 6 kids in various ways, that's on the adults. That was a choice, no need to drag Disney into it somehow and get a free vacation. If you can't afford to go, you don't go.

Does anyone know how Disney finds these families anyway? I'd be interested to know if something is submitted, how many are picked from, etc...

On a different note, this "Celebration" is nothing more than a 2 hour commercial. If you tuned in 10 minutes late, you missed the Toy Soldiers, Reindeer and Santa, but you were still in time to see maybe,,, MAYBE... 5 minutes of the rest of the parade for the remaining hour and 50 minutes, which was mostly bad lip syncing.

Tigger1988

The Christmas parade was ALWAYS a long commercial, let's not kid ourselves into thinking it was ever anything different.

Also, not sure how people can find something negative to say about the family stories. The children that one family adopted were likely in the foster system and deserve a nice vacation. Nice of Disney to give them one that lasted longer than a day.

mousehockey37

The Christmas parade was ALWAYS a long commercial, let's not kid ourselves into thinking it was ever anything different.

Also, not sure how people can find something negative to say about the family stories. The children that one family adopted were likely in the foster system and deserve a nice vacation. Nice of Disney to give them one that lasted longer than a day.

There's lots of people/families that have earned and deserve a nice vacation... and per places like these boards and such, you get told, if you can't afford it, tough cookies, you don't go... what makes them so different?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom