Finally phasing out Night of Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxsDad

Can we get back to the discussion of the logistics of this decision?
Will it work? Isn't it an odd decision?
Why not just have NoJ at ESPN as a separate ticketed event, and allow guests to purchase tickets to the park for the evening as an additional ticket. I mean, what if people only wanted to go to the concerts?

Having actually been there the last seven years, I have some thoughts on your questions.

My two biggest areas of improvement the event has needed are this: 1. Viewing of the main stage from the Hub area. This has been addressed by the Hub redesign. It was so, so much better this year. 2. Scheduling made it difficult to see most of the performances, as they often played at the same time on different stages. This has not been addressed as of yet.

Rain has been a dampener for many years now. This year was the worst. I was somewhat fortunate to have not purchased a ticket for Saturday night this year. Rain delays are miserable. I have never been to WWoS. Is there a large indoor arena there? (another post makes it sound as if there is) Adequate parking? If so, it would negate weather, and re solve viewing issues. If they lengthened the event, perhaps guest could see more artist perform. But ...

Yes, it would be an odd decision. No, I do not think it will work. Having to also have park admission purchased separately would really not work. What MIGHT work would be to keep the WWoS unbooked for those two evenings, and bus people over there in the event of rain. If one ticket was good for ESPN and the MK, the kids are going to go to the MK, outside of perhaps Skillet or similar. I do not think that it is practical to try and see shows and ride rides that are at least an hour round trip commute from each other during such a short event. Worshipers will go to were the music is. The whole point that makes this worship experience special and unique, is that it is in the MK. People did not even like the fact that it was in the Studios in 2008 and 2009. How do you think they will react to WWoS?

Ralphlaw

I don't know much about gradnight, but if it means high school and/or college grads, that probably means a few vital differences from Night of Joy:

1. Older kids and young adults. No 14 thru 17 year olds.
2. Graduates. At least they got a degree of some kind whereas Night of Joy teens may not yet have gotten to that level of maturity.
3. Potentially less herd mentality, with busses of kids coming for NoJ in instead of smaller groups for Gradnight. I have yet to see a disruptive group of Brazilian teens of only 5 or less.
4. I wouldn't be surprised if many NoJ teens are home-schooled as well, meaning a rowdy ringleader or two might lead the group down a destructive path. Many home schooled kids have had little experience with pier pressure. Suddenly Mom/Teacher is gone, and they go nuts. (Serious Christians are probably more likely to home school, and most kids at a public or parochial school can't take off in September for a Disney trip.)

Just theorizing here.

Miss Heinous

The Christian teens are worse because they get to rebel for one night, so they sperg out like the dickens. Regular teens do it every day so it's not as big of a deal to them...
I hate religion.

Castle Cake Apologist

I can only speak from experience, but the issues that arose during Night of joy were always worse than any other issue I ever encountered in all my time with MK Ops.

Literally, we had to break up a group of teens trying to have sex in the landscaping near the hub one year. We would regularly have to shut down TTA because of all the intrusion stops. These kids were literally getting out of the cars in the tunnels and trying to run to other cars to meet up with their friends. The groups were loud and unruly. They were incredibly rude to the CMs working the event. We confiscated all kinds of alcohol and drug paraphernalia. There was a lot more, but that's neither here nor there I suppose at this point.

I'm not saying the religious aspect of the group had anything to do with it, but I can see why they would want to try to eventually stop offering the event in the theme parks. I imagine supervision and safety would be much easier in a controlled environment.

We always called it Night of Hell.

It did always bother me a bit that Disney is willing to officially host this event, but is not willing to officially host certain other events. *Shrug*

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

The Christian teens are worse because they get to rebel for one night, so they sperg out like the dickens. Regular teens do it every day so it's not as big of a deal to them...
I hate religion.
You can't generalize the entire populace of christian teens and say they are bad. I was always respectful and I promise you that I never did anything harmful when attending these events. Also because someone classifies themself as Christian doesn't mean jack. Finally not every kid who goes is christian. When we took large groups of kids we also took plenty of troubled kids to and they might not always be respectful

Miss Heinous

You can't generalize the entire populace of christian teens and say they are bad. I was always respectful and I promise you that I never did anything harmful when attending these events. Also because someone classifies themself as Christian doesn't mean jack. Finally not every kid who goes is christian. When we took large groups of kids we also took plenty of troubled kids to and they might not always be respectful
So you want to blame the kids that you took in off the street? That's racist.

French Quarter

I'm pretty sure I was just offering insight into why Disney may be trying to shift the main draw of the event (the concerts) away from the theme parks. The whole thing is an operations nightmare. I think the topic is quite relevant to the thread.

I know that you didn't necessarily mean it to sound that way but you essentially said that Christian teens likely weren't the problem but it was probably the poor non-Christian kids that are dragged here in an effort to "save" them that are at issue.

This whole discussion is making me ugly.

SpaceMountain75

Well said.

Tigger1988

I know that you didn't necessarily mean it to sound that way but you essentially said that Christian teens likely weren't the problem but it was probably the poor non-Christian kids that are dragged here in an effort to "save" them that are at issue.

The person you quoted didn't say that...

asianway

Original Poster
Red shirts are more offensive than kids trying to boink in the bushes and steal from the Emporium, I guess.
Gay day promoters have bought out Pleasure Island clubs, World Showplace & Typhoon Lagoon that I know of. Only difference is Disney doesn't sell the tickets

Castle Cake Apologist

That was definitely not me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom