Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

I’m in DCA now and it’s a beautiful park…except the Avengers Campus and the retheme of Tower of Terror…absolutely awful it stands out so much and makes the park ugly and disjointed.
Thankfully, it was hideous as ToT, too. That thing was born ugly. A few years ago, Rohde just added (way too much) makeup.

But, isn’t it what’s on the inside that counts. And I love Mission Breakout.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Photo from today - a peek at the mural on the side of Woody’s Lunch Box support kitchen.

IMG_6255.jpeg

J4546

I kinda wish theyd get rid of the 3rd track for TSM and gut that side of the building, make it an indoor "toybox" themed space with a couple small rides, a new entrance/exit to the land form the pixar alley, and the exit of TSM would put you right into the box whish would be way better than that terrible exit pathway

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Given that there's rumors of DHS possibly getting something(s)... I wanted to again bring up the forum's idea of relocating TriceraTop Spin from DAK with a Trixie retheme. I thought it was a great suggestion. Or, possibly adding a clone of Jessie's Critter Carousel for a quick fix. Either would give DHS some needed capacity. Unlikely of course but still fun to think about.

The hypothetical question would then be how to add it? Is Woody's Lunch Box redundant now that BBQ is there? Or could it be relocated elsewhere with TSL? I think if it were moved or removed there'd be just enough land to plop down a simple flat ride without impacting guest flow. An approx 400-450ft area to work with. It'd be doable, but would it be another Aladdin Spinner situation causing a bottleneck and congestion?

Something to toy with in any case. (Pun shamefully intended) Speaking of, it's a shame they wasted so much space in TSL.

Indy_UK

Could they expand the land put behind A.S.S and Slinky?

They really should just have a massive plot of land behind there and add filler rides like Jessies Critter Carousel, Army drop and RC Racer from the smaller 'lands' around the world. Really adds capacity and thrill rides for smaller kids and is relatively cheap to add.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Given that there's rumors of DHS possibly getting something(s)... I wanted to again bring up the forum's idea of relocating TriceraTop Spin from DAK with a Trixie retheme. I thought it was a great suggestion. Or, possibly adding a clone of Jessie's Critter Carousel for a quick fix. Either would give DHS some needed capacity. Unlikely of course but still fun to think about.

The hypothetical question would then be how to add it? Is Woody's Lunch Box redundant now that BBQ is there? Or could it be relocated elsewhere with TSL? I think if it were moved or removed there'd be just enough land to plop down a simple flat ride without impacting guest flow. An approx 400-450ft area to work with. It'd be doable, but would it be another Aladdin Spinner situation causing a bottleneck and congestion?

Something to toy with in any case. (Pun shamefully intended) Speaking of, it's a shame they wasted so much space in TSL.
I really couldn't speak to any of this directly. I'm a Cali transplant and what I can say is that I think the whole TSL space is a mess. The Anaheim bunch have rethemed the entire former Paradise Pier space into Pixar Pier. Despite this, it's still a more cohesive "land" than TSL. The Avengers campus space is an epic fail (There is enough Marvel IP material to create an entire Disney park so why squeeze it into a small portion of DCA?) and I haven't seen the new San Fransokyo area as it was rethemed after I left, but Cars Land and Pixar Pier are pretty amazing spaces. The Incredicoaster is a definite improvement over California Screamin'. I imagine they just do a better job of making use of the space because they have less of it. This is also true with MK vs DL. At WDW, they know they have more space than they can use so they don't think about using it efficiently. My .02, for what it's worth. (again, not directly responding to your comments, LOL!)

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Hard no on this. Mannequins and overused lines from the trailer for Incredibles 2 ("num num Cookie") do not a good attraction make. They could have done so much more with this. It's a cheap overlay in my opinion. Cali Scream all the way!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I rode Screamin' for years and thought the re-theme was awesome. Gimme dat NUM-NUM Cookie at the end too! (got milk?) More or less the same with ToT to Guardians. When I heard that was taking place I was ed. I knew they were rushing to get a Guardians attraction in place in sync with the release of Vol 2. I still think the exterior work is hideous, but I have to confess that the actual ride is greatly improved and the interior theming is cool.

Fox&Hound

Toy Story land should definitely have some small flat rides and shade. And a store. And a better flow :)

Could they put something in the old queue space (forget what it is called but it is where you used to get in line for TSM and then they used it for the incredibles meet and greet. Such a waste of space that could probably support something small.

Disney Dad 3000

I know the land gets a lot of hate, but we enjoy it for what it is, and generally have a good time in there.

I would be all for another simple flat ride in TSL. It does seem they are pretty hemmed in with space with how they've designed the land, though I'm sure someone smarter than me can correct that. It seems like only options are beyond the fence to the left of BBQ and mask some sort of indoor ride without impacting the fence/land visuals, or on the other side of the land taking out backstage behind SWGE next to SDD. Neither sounds appealing though.

I almost think you have to keep the Lunch Box so that there's a QS option in the land. The park and land probably would've been better served putting an attraction where the lunchbox is IMO.

Purduevian

Without expanding the footprint of the land, I could see them squeezing up to 4 small things in without too much effort
1707315312282.png

1. Easiest, just probably adding some netting to slinky
2. Destroys the current meet and great space
3. Some interesting pathing to get under and in the middle of Slinky, see emotional whirlwind at DCA. Also would have to make some room in here for slinky overflow Quene.
4. Altering the exit path of TSM could free up just enough land for something small. Personally I would also connect this path the Stage Ln so there is actually an alley of Toy Story land to explore.

If It was me: 1 would be Al's Toy Barn. 2 Jessie's critter carousel 3. Toy Solider parachute drop and Slinky extended Quene. 4 would be new meet and greet spot and a few snack/merch locations.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Without expanding the footprint of the land, I could see them squeezing up to 4 small things in without too much effort
View attachment 767213
3. Some interesting pathing to get under and in the middle of Slinky, see emotional whirlwind at DCA. Also would have to make some room in here for slinky overflow Quene.
4. Altering the exit path of TSM could free up just enough land for something small. Personally I would also connect this path the Stage Ln so there is actually an alley of Toy Story land to explore.

If It was me: 1 would be Al's Toy Barn. 2 Jessie's critter carousel 3. Toy Solider parachute drop and Slinky extended Quene. 4 would be new meet and greet spot and a few snack/merch locations.
If they were to do all those things DHS wouldn't be busting at the seams and the land would be more complete.

Purduevian

If they were to do all those things DHS wouldn't be busting at the seams and the land would be more complete.
Just some of the pathing on 2,3,4 ideas:
2)Jessie's Critter Carousell at DCA is ~80ft across
1707319708888.png

3) Looking at the space, I don't think Toy Solder Parachute drop could actually fit in Slinky... However Jumping fish at DCA has 2 towers that are both ~30 feet across might be able to get 3 towers in for capacity. (reskin to the toy solders) Teal would be extended SDD queue
1707322293619.png

4)Blue is new path route, Red is the new M&G space, Teal new expanded seating for Woodies, Green can be snack/drink stands or merch carts (think those on the ROA at MK). Would also have to theme the back side of Woody's
1707322538219.png

J4546

I think if they closed the 3rd track of TSM (which takes up the southern half of the TSM building) and gutted it and replaced it with an indoor play area like LIttle Mermaid in TOkyo, but themed to Andys Toybox with a new entrance/exit on both sides giving a new entrance/exit to TSL from Pixar Alley, that would be pretty chill. ALso build some fake plants in giant pots and place them around the area for shade instead of umbrellas. A couple big fake plants could provide shade for 50% of the land easily. The blue is the new indoor toybox area and the yello are new entrance/exits also TSM would exit right into it as well. The white circles are where the giant fake potted plants would go. ALso the area between WOodys LB and the old exit pathway would be redone as well of course.

Attachments

• tsls.jpg
    tsls.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think if they closed the 3rd track of TSM (which takes up the southern half of the TSM building) and gutted it and replaced it with an indoor play area like LIttle Mermaid in TOkyo, but themed to Andys Toybox with a new entrance/exit on both sides giving a new entrance/exit to TSL from Pixar Alley, that would be pretty chill. ALso build some fake plants in giant pots and place them around the area for shade instead of umbrellas. A couple big fake plants could provide shade for 50% of the land easily. The blue is the new indoor toybox area and the yello are new entrance/exits also TSM would exit right into it as well. The white circles are where the giant fake potted plants would go. ALso the area between WOodys LB and the old exit pathway would be redone as well of course.
So you propose reducing ride capacity at a park that needs more desperately. Because you think a play area would be “pretty chill”.

I… yeah. 🤦‍♂️

Indy_UK

View attachment 767213

I’d love that. To me the land feels narrow and a corridor which I hate. It needs fleshing out.

J4546

yes I do. The play area would make up for capacity and give young kids a place to actually play and run around, which is something that DHS doesnt have at all. You could also put a small ride in there like TSL in Tokyo as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom