Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

It looks like something that's relying entirely on referencing something better to make it seem worthwhile.

Maybe the rest of it looks better.
The rest of Pixar Pier?

‘Fraid not.

At least Incredicoaster is just a fun coaster. Helps be look past the skewered babies. But it was fun as California Screamin’. All The Incredibles added (to me…) is better music.

SplashJacket

This looks like the very definition of "you should like this thing solely because it includes something you recognize".
As someone who’s currently using a restroom (actively) in Pixar Pier to avoid the torrential downpours that are closing the parks early today, revisiting DCA after spending extensive time at DHS this past summer, wow. Hollywood Studios is a joke. There’s no part of this park that stands out to me as offensively ugly (except parts of Hollywood land) but Hollywood Studios has ugliness flanking both sides of the hub.

IMHO, they did a really good job on Pixar Pier. They plussed Paradise Pier around a decade ago, which made it much nicer. Then with Pixar, they plussed in again. Sure, it’s imperfect, but as a whole, great, enjoyable land.

UNCgolf

As someone who’s currently using a restroom (actively) in Pixar Pier to avoid the torrential downpours that are closing the parks early today, revisiting DCA after spending extensive time at DHS this past summer, wow. Hollywood Studios is a joke. There’s no part of this park that stands out to me as offensively ugly (except parts of Hollywood land) but Hollywood Studios has ugliness flanking both sides of the hub.

IMHO, they did a really good job on Pixar Pier. They plussed Paradise Pier around a decade ago, which made it much nicer. Then with Pixar, they plussed in again. Sure, it’s imperfect, but as a whole, great, enjoyable land.

I think Pixar Pier is a massive downgrade from Paradise Pier; they spent money to improve Paradise Pier and make it a solid part of the park, then spent more money to ruin it.

I'd also disagree about DHS though in that I think basically all of the original parts of that park are great. I don't see any ugliness in any of the original construction; the theming is excellent and captures exactly what they were trying to capture. I can certainly understand disliking the studio backlot aesthetic, but the transition from "Los Angeles" into the studio backlot areas functions much like it does in actual LA and I thought it worked really well.

That said, it doesn't work nearly as well now with the changes throughout the park, both in terms of things like TSL and Galaxy's Edge (regardless of how anyone feels about their overall quality, they're a significant departure from original/remaining theme of rest of the park) and the way they've hacked away at the theming of the original LA/Hollywood areas.

Last edited:

Centauri Space Station

I realize this is an old thread, but as a recent transplant from CA I wanted to comment. The TS "Land" here at WDW is pitiful compared to what they did at California Adventure Park. They don't actually have a TS Land there, but have completely re-themed "Paradise Pier" to Pixar Pier. The former California Screamin' roller coaster now has an Incredibles overlay, and it's awesome (gimme someadat NOM-NOM Cookie and an ice cold milk, please!). Cars Land is amazing (and Radiator Springs Racers is a vastly superior ride to Test Track at EPCOT. An incredibly creative use of the same technology.). I really think California hit it out of the park, so to speak. After walking around TS Land here recently I was utterly underwhelmed. I actually enjoyed staying at the Toy Story wing of the All Star Movies resort more than being in that area of the park. LOL! I doubt I'll ever make it back to DL/DCA, but I hope they find a way to work A Bug's Life back into that Pixar area. I loved A Bug's Land when it was there. It was cool walking through there feeling the size of a bug with all of the oversized plants and boxes/containers.
Compared to Toy story playland in WDSP, HKDL, and SDL it’s way better

Centauri Space Station

Hollywood Blvd, sunset Blvd, and SWGE are better than anything at DCA. Also avengers, Pixar pier, and hollywoodland are atrocities

SplashJacket

Hollywood Blvd, sunset Blvd, and SWGE are better than anything at DCA. Also avengers, Pixar pier, and hollywoodland are atrocities
Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd are basically the exact same thing, and DCA’s entrance and is very well done and extremely pleasant to walk through, filled with the kinetics of the trolley and other enjoyable sights.

The whole Grizzly area, with Soarin’, is fantastically themed and highly enjoyable to walk through.

After visiting Cars Land for the first time since GE opened, I honestly believe it’s the better land, ignoring attraction lineup.

I just strongly disagree that Pixar Pier is poor, or a downgrade from Paradise Pier. I’ve heard that crap for years, and going there, I was super surprised by how much I enjoyed it, and its aesthetics.

Avenger’s Campus isn’t without flaws, but the land had a great vibe. Food was great, rides were great (once again I’ve heard for years that Webslingers was crap, I thoroughly enjoyed it).

SplashJacket

'd also disagree about DHS though in that I think basically all of the original parts of that park are great. I don't see any ugliness in any of the original construction; the theming is excellent and captures exactly what they were trying to capture. I can certainly understand disliking the studio backlot aesthetic, but the transition from "Los Angeles" into the studio backlot areas functions much like it does in actual LA and I thought it worked really well.

That said, it doesn't work nearly as well now with the changes throughout the park, both in terms of things like TSL and Galaxy's Edge (regardless of how anyone feels about their overall quality, they're a significant departure from original/remaining theme of rest of the park) and the way they've hacked away at the theming of the original LA/Hollywood areas.
I’d argue it didn’t work before, and it especially doesn’t work now. The Studio aspect of Universal Studios Hollywood (criminally underrated and smeared park) is horrendously ugly. But it doesn’t matter. It’s ugliness is entirely forgiven by its authenticity. Hollywood Studios was ugly when it opened and it’s ugly now. That hasn’t changed in the slightest.

Universal Hollywood’s aesthetics are greatly bolstered by its mountains, something Hollywood Studios never had.

Hollywood Studio’s original design was a cost-cutting measure, not a design choice to bolster the product.

UNCgolf

I’d argue it didn’t work before, and it especially doesn’t work now. The Studio aspect of Universal Studios Hollywood (criminally underrated and smeared park) is horrendously ugly. But it doesn’t matter. It’s ugliness is entirely forgiven by its authenticity. Hollywood Studios was ugly when it opened and it’s ugly now. That hasn’t changed in the slightest.

Universal Hollywood’s aesthetics are greatly bolstered by its mountains, something Hollywood Studios never had.

Hollywood Studio’s original design was a cost-cutting measure, not a design choice to bolster the product

I couldn't disagree more.

The front part of Disney-MGM Studios was gorgeous and one of the best things Disney has built in Florida. Part of the reason the park feels so disjointed now is because of how badly they've hacked up that original masterpiece. Of course whether it worked or not is subjective, but the first time I visited LA and went to a studio lot I was surprised by how much it all reminded me of Disney-MGM Studios, so I think they nailed it.

That doesn't mean the park itself was perfect (far from it, although the late 1990s version of the park was probably better than what exists now, especially from a cohesive theming aspect), but the entrance and Hollywood Boulevard was as good as and possibly better than Main Street at the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

cjkeating

Would you mind elaborating on this, please?
Nothing that happened in the Pixar Pier overlay is worthy of a Disney park. Incredicoaster is on the level of a 'Batman' or 'Superman' coaster at Six Flag's.

It was a quick and dirty project to appease Lasseter for losing A Bug's Land for Avengers Campus when it moved location that also had the seal of approval from Chapek because it ticked his boxes of IP, cheap and fast.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Nothing that happened in the Pixar Pier overlay is worthy of a Disney park. Incredicoaster is on the level of a 'Batman' or 'Superman' coaster at Six Flag's.

It was a quick and dirty project to appease Lasseter for losing A Bug's Land for Avengers Campus when it moved location that also had the seal of approval from Chapek because it ticked his boxes of IP, cheap and fast.
Pixar Pier wasn’t cheap. It cost more than Expedition Everest (even after adjusting for inflation).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The front part of Disney-MGM Studios was gorgeous and one of the best things Disney has built in Florida. Part of the reason the park feels so disjointed now is because of how badly they've hacked up that original masterpiece. Of course whether it worked or not is subjective, but the first time I visited LA and went to a studio lot I was surprised by how much it all reminded me of Disney-MGM Studios, so I think they nailed it.
I don't understand this.

Except for walking into SWL or TSL, all the public walking space of DHS is still themed to LA/Hollywood of various time periods.

Even the Christmas decorations respect the time period they show up in.

Even with the building of SWL, they doubled down on LA/Hollywood by creating a modern homage to downtown LA with Grand Ave. Square.

Centauri Space Station

Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd are basically the exact same thing, and DCA’s entrance and is very well done and extremely pleasant to walk through, filled with the kinetics of the trolley and other enjoyable sights.

The whole Grizzly area, with Soarin’, is fantastically themed and highly enjoyable to walk through.

After visiting Cars Land for the first time since GE opened, I honestly believe it’s the better land, ignoring attraction lineup.

I just strongly disagree that Pixar Pier is poor, or a downgrade from Paradise Pier. I’ve heard that crap for years, and going there, I was super surprised by how much I enjoyed it, and its aesthetics.

Avenger’s Campus isn’t without flaws, but the land had a great vibe. Food was great, rides were great (once again I’ve heard for years that Webslingers was crap, I thoroughly enjoyed it).
DCAs entrance copied HWB basically complete with the gas station, theatre weenie and high end restaurant. Pixar Pier basically took a carnival area and threw random pixar statues around. Web is redundant when TSMM sits 50 feet away.

Bocabear

so...back on the topic, is the restaurant that was supposed to open years ago considered the "expansion"?
While I feel like TSL has been done to death at the parks, and none of the iterations feel particularly compelling, I would rather them not expand it, but do something that adds to the overall park... an Indiana Jones themed area with a few new attractions replacing the Stunt show would be great... A fully fleshed out Toontown replacing the Animation building, Mermaid, etc for that side of the park would be a great add too... It was such a hit at Disneyland...I am always surprised it was not baked into the original plans for this park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom