Disney to reinvent the theme park shopping experience with new mobile app - Shop Disney Parks

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Does anyone have an idea when Canadians are able to download this? I tried updating my iTunes account with a United States address and I thought it worked because I was able to see it in the app in the App Store, however when I clicked download it said I needed a US account. Today when I search for it obviously it won't even show up if you have a Canadian account like I do. It's not even listed with the other Disney apps when you search for it like that. I'm thinking the first time there is an update maybe it will include Canadian customers, however it has not been updated yet since it got released on August 15th.

It updated yesterday but the update notes state it was for bug fixes and to enhance the map.

MissM

Just a head's up. I got an email today identifying me as a user of the app and asking for me to complete a survey

Greetings from the Walt Disney World® Resort!

We identified you as a recent Shop Disney Parks app user. We’re interested in learning about your experience using the Shop Disney Parks app by inviting you to participate in a quick survey.

To launch the survey, please click here.

Your survey responses will be given our undivided attention, for we genuinely want to provide our Guests with the ultimate Disney experience. Thank you in advance for your participation!

Best Regards,
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Research

There was nothing terribly interesting or shocking about it. Standard stuff like, what do you like about the app/what do you dislike, how easy did you find it to use, etc. I mentioned that I wished you could zoom in on photos (especially on my tablet, the fact you can't pinch and zoom makes for tiny photos!) and also that shipping was unbalanced and overly high. (esp given it's price-based vs size/weight based so a tiny, expensive item has huge shipping costs for example.)

Jahona

Just a head's up. I got an email today identifying me as a user of the app and asking for me to complete a survey

Greetings from the Walt Disney World® Resort!

We identified you as a recent Shop Disney Parks app user. We’re interested in learning about your experience using the Shop Disney Parks app by inviting you to participate in a quick survey.

To launch the survey, please click here.

Your survey responses will be given our undivided attention, for we genuinely want to provide our Guests with the ultimate Disney experience. Thank you in advance for your participation!

Best Regards,
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Research

There was nothing terribly interesting or shocking about it. Standard stuff like, what do you like about the app/what do you dislike, how easy did you find it to use, etc. I mentioned that I wished you could zoom in on photos (especially on my tablet, the fact you can't pinch and zoom makes for tiny photos!) and also that shipping was unbalanced and overly high. (esp given it's price-based vs size/weight based so a tiny, expensive item has huge shipping costs for example.)

Got the same email. Made similar comments. Shipping scale is really far off and with the popularity of free shipping it's a bit of a shock. I also made a mention of being able to change the shipping address. It would only let me ship to my home and not another location. I was trying to get something shipped to my work.

Rob562

Thought I'd add on here...

An update to the Shop Disney Parks app last night has added the previously-announced functions to send your in-app purchases to your Disney hotel or to the front of the park. Playing with it this morning it appears that shipping to your hotel requires you to have a reservation linked to your MDE account, and sending to the front of the park requires you to actually be in the park (presumably confirmed via GPS).

Also, they're offering free shipping through November 22nd.

-Rob

Jon81uk

An update to the Shop Disney Parks app last night has added the previously-announced functions to send your in-app purchases to your Disney hotel or to the front of the park. Playing with it this morning it appears that shipping to your hotel requires you to have a reservation linked to your MDE account, and sending to the front of the park requires you to actually be in the park (presumably confirmed via GPS).

-Rob

Wonder if they will enable it for people without a US iTunes account. Would be useful to order when in park and have it sent to resort instead of having to go back to the park you first saw something. I remember always wondering if I would find a better t-shirt and then I went all the way back to Pleasure Island (thats how long ago this was) to buy it as didn't see that shirt in any parks.

ABQ

-Rob
Not to derail the thread, but if they can make shipping to your hotel (or I assume your hotel's gift shop) so simple from the app, can they, or have they, made that same process for in park purchases less complicated than having the massive green form filled in? Why not just let the guest wave their magic band over a gizmo and it automatically print a form to deliver your package to the resort if you'd like?

MissM

This part is huge. Shiping has been REALLY overpriced and invalidated any savings you got for your AP discount for example. So this is a great way to get your AP discount on park products without having to go to the park.

JohnD

Already used it for HM mug and MB. Still needs a zoom feature.
image.jpg

FredFltStn

Not to derail the thread, but if they can make shipping to your hotel (or I assume your hotel's gift shop) so simple from the app, can they, or have they, made that same process for in park purchases less complicated than having the massive green form filled in? Why not just let the guest wave their magic band over a gizmo and it automatically print a form to deliver your package to the resort if you'd like?
Coming in a later release. POS development takes a lot of time.

djlaosc

Wonder if they will enable it for people without a US iTunes account. Would be useful to order when in park and have it sent to resort instead of having to go back to the park you first saw something. I remember always wondering if I would find a better t-shirt and then I went all the way back to Pleasure Island (thats how long ago this was) to buy it as didn't see that shirt in any parks.

You would think that it would be possible to have it worldwide, but after you download it, you have to link to your My Disney Experience, have an active reservation, and even set up a limit for X days ahead of your arrival that you can order to your resort? Be more difficult to manage those staying off-site, but that would help some more people out, even if still not being available to everyone.

I do think that the app is a good idea, but that it could take some of the "fun" out of shopping in the parks (not that shopping is fun) - if I can sit on the plane and order things to my hotel, then why would I need to look in the shops when I get there? But, I would have found it useful for my last holiday when the main thing that I was wanting to purchase were the various park music CDs, some of which were very hard to find (speaking to concierge in the hotel, and having to look in all of the shops to try to find them/wait for them to come back in stock) - I eventually got them all, but if I could have logged onto the app, and just sent them all to my hotel, it would have been a lot easier.

Cosmic Commando

I'm so glad they put in these new features before my trip! I can't wait to see something in the store, scan the bar code on my phone, and have it sent to the resort instead of waiting in a long line to buy. It'll also be great if we want to buy anything big or bulky.

Herah

I do think that the app is a good idea, but that it could take some of the "fun" out of shopping in the parks (not that shopping is fun) - if I can sit on the plane and order things to my hotel, then why would I need to look in the shops when I get there?
Well, we were able to use it to enhance the fun... My daughter had seen a backpack she wanted, but it was expensive enough that she wanted to sleep on it before asking us to help with it. The next day, we used the app to find another shop that had it in stock, along with a better variety of similar items. We went there, did the comparison shopping in person, decided the more expensive item was worth it, and walked out with the item in hand - confident in our choice, without having to go back to the original store. My husband was actually impressed.

FrostyNaples

We used the Parks app over the weekend. Shopped, scanned bar code, selected pick-up at the front of the park. Extremely convenient! Didn't have to wait in line at the cash register OR have to carry around merchandise all day. Simply picked up on the way out. Happy with that! :D:D:D - Will try the send to resort option next month.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Well, we were able to use it to enhance the fun... My daughter had seen a backpack she wanted, but it was expensive enough that she wanted to sleep on it before asking us to help with it. The next day, we used the app to find another shop that had it in stock, along with a better variety of similar items. We went there, did the comparison shopping in person, decided the more expensive item was worth it, and walked out with the item in hand - confident in our choice, without having to go back to the original store. My husband was actually impressed.

Thats a great example of the apps functionality! If I may though, and Im just asking strictly from a psychological standpoint...If a purchase is expensive enough to cause a person to "sleep on it" before making a decision to buy it, and then also have to ask your parents for more money to buy it, is that fun? And how is it enhanced considering you had to make an additional trip to a second store? I was only curious on your use of the phrase "enhance the fun"

please dont take my question as some sort of attack, as it is not:). i think the app is great and Ill definitely use it.

Herah

Thats a great example of the apps functionality! If I may though, and Im just asking strictly from a psychological standpoint...If a purchase is expensive enough to cause a person to "sleep on it" before making a decision to buy it, and then also have to ask your parents for more money to buy it, is that fun? And how is it enhanced considering you had to make an additional trip to a second store? I was only curious on your use of the phrase "enhance the fun"

please dont take my question as some sort of attack, as it is not:). i think the app is great and Ill definitely use it.

No problem. The second store happened to be more convenient to where we were the second day, so it was very useful to know the same item could be found there. It was a bonus that the second store was also better for comparison shopping.

It basically allowed her to take the time to think and reduced the pressure. Will I remember where I saw this? Will we pass by here again, or will my parents be willing to make a special trip back? What if I see something better tomorrow? What if we make the trip back and it doesn't look as good as i remembered? The app gave us a picture to remember, and showed us two places we could be sure to find it, and where we could find something similar.

Worst case, we could have ordered it later. But even if you want to walk out with something in hand, the app can help.

G00fyDad

I cannot wait to use this next trip since our children are grown now (Well, our son is still 12 but not exactly a small fry anymore.) and we do not need to have everything we buy with us all day. I am going to send all of my purchases up front to be picked up later on my way out of the parks. :D

WhatJaneSays

I will likely be testing this out a lot as a person not staying on property for my holiday shopping. If I can have things sent to the front of the park and just pick up from there that probably quarters the amount of time I need to spend finding specific items. When I start trying it out that way I’ll let everyone know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom