Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin closing for month long refurbishment Jan-Feb 2016

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It had been a while since my last visit, but I don't feel the guns have been upgraded. Having now tried the Men in Black ride for the first time, I realize how nice it was to have a clear indicator on the gun when you score a hit instead of having to note if your score has changed.
ah.. oh well. Thanks for the update.

Sonconato

Good deal, did they fix/enhance the guns?
My husband, son and I rode it last night and we noticed that while we were right on target, holding steady and so on, many of the targets were NOT registering so our scores were extremely low. This is the second time we've ridden since the refurb and we've experienced the same issue both times. We liked it better before the refurb. They did enhance the room with the projected (film) targets, in which they have several new types but we're still not clear which to hit, where to hit them and what score do you get when you hit one.

punkabella

I almost just cried my pregnant self into a puddle. This is one of my favorite low-key rides that I am able to ride right now and am super excited to go on it at least a few times every day. Thank goodness I don't go to the parks until March 11th, when it opens back up. Hopefully they fix some of those issues they were having with the targets/guns.. I want to be a space ace!

tissandtully

I almost just cried my pregnant self into a puddle. This is one of my favorite low-key rides that I am able to ride right now and am super excited to go on it at least a few times every day. Thank goodness I don't go to the parks until March 11th, when it opens back up. Hopefully they fix some of those issues they were having with the targets/guns.. I want to be a space ace!

Unfortunately not sure how much they can do in 4 days, probably just fixing the leaky roof again.

wdwgreek

I rode Buzz in DL Paris this summer and that attraction seemed so much more dynamic and robust. There were more targets, that didn't feel so plastic and carnival- eque. I don't know if this is just my memory playing tricks on me, but I left that attraction wishing ours was more like that.

Donaldfan1934

I rode Buzz in DL Paris this summer and that attraction seemed so much more dynamic and robust. There were more targets, that didn't feel so plastic and carnival- eque. I don't know if this is just my memory playing tricks on me, but I left that attraction wishing ours was more like that.
Look up concept art of the Shanghai version. That'll blow you away.

Donaldfan1934

How as much as a hate screens, the sets are so cool, they have integrated basic AA's with the screens and with targets interdispersed, and the ride seems so ominous I love it.
Judging by this video, it looks like most of the screens will be a well integrated background effect which is not a bad thing in my eyes.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I have rode the Buzz in DL Paris multiple times. It is definitely more exciting in my opinion. I love that the lazer cannons are not mounted to the ride vehicle! It totally changes the experience.

wdwgreek

Judging by this video, it looks like most of the screens will be a well integrated background effect which is not a bad thing in my eyes.

Exactly what I meant by normally I don't like screens but this looks to be an execution to my preference. Very cool to look at and it is the proper utilization of screen, accents and adds depth but doesn't demand focus from the rest of the attraction.

Donaldfan1934

Exactly what I meant by normally I don't like screens but this looks to be an execution to my preference. Very cool to look at and it is the proper utilization of screen, accents and adds depth but doesn't demand focus from the rest of the attraction.
Exactly, that's the best way to use screens in a theme park. a screen background can have a lot more going on then a painted one. I forgot to mention that I dislike most screen centric attractions too. The only use of screen that I don't like in Shanghai's version of Buzz is him flying in the background at the end rather than being an actual animatronic like at WDW. But then again, who knows how the actual final product will end up since this is a simulation and there's still time for some changes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom